We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Qatar,British,Quantas,Thai, Emirates @ business class

Newport Gwent
Level Contributor
32 posts
23 reviews
Save Topic
Qatar,British,Quantas,Thai, Emirates @ business class

Thank you all who replied and passed on valuable information which I will now sift through and make a decision.

ONn the face of it the reviews for Thai are not very impressive Emirates flight from Dubai to Sydney is much too long so still researching for the best business class deal and I now realize the importance of ensuring we have a flat bed.

Is there a difference between Club class (BA) and Business class ?

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
3,441 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Qatar,British,Quantas,Thai, Emirates @ business class

Club World = Business Class

Peace,

Balou

London, United...
Level Contributor
1,004 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Qatar,British,Quantas,Thai, Emirates @ business class

Hi Steve

I recently flew Lhr to Australia on Emirates in Business class. Yes the Dubai to Aus leg is long but depending on the time of day and changing time zones a large amount of it is sleep time. Emirates is excellent and I was able to sleep quite abit of that leg.

Coming back from Sydney to Dubai I was on the A380 and it really was fabulous. The best bed , 'pod' and flight ever!

Emirates also throw in all the limos to take you to and from the airports - so all in all I can recommend.

For a 3 hop route - I have flown Royal Brunei business class to Brisbane. Each leg is around 8 or so hours with a refuel or plane change for you to get off and stretch your legs. You might consider this - stay a night in Bris and hop down to Sydney on Virgin Blue or jetstar?

Newport Gwent
Level Contributor
32 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Qatar,British,Quantas,Thai, Emirates @ business class

Hi Lantana,

Thanks for your post very much appreciated.

In your opinion what would be the ideal flight times to make the journey as comfortable as possible ?

Looks like we will fly the shorter journeys on a 777 and airbus on longer journeys

Also have choice of several airports and wondered do you have any preference besides personal convenience.

Thanks again...STEVE

London, United...
Level Contributor
1,004 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Qatar,British,Quantas,Thai, Emirates @ business class

Hi Steve

In my experience, late evening departures from the UK are best. You get to sleep after dinner on the first leg to Dubai . Then, when you reboard , you get to sleep some more on the longer second leg. The cabin is darkened to create more 'night' on the second leg so, with time adjustments, you are 'woken up' for an early morning arrival in Aus.

(It looks like you lose a day enroute but that's just time adjustments going forward.)

My recent flight was a 2200 departure from Heathrow. Emirates 777 to Dubai then A340 to Brisbane. ( I am sure the flight times are similar for Sydney). Loved the 777 - and the 340 was fine if slightly older than the 777. The beds on both are comfortable with a decent amount of space. The 777 probably has the edge but both are fine. The whole limo/fastrack check in and fastrack on arrival also helps to make the experience painfree.

Coming back I flew Emirates from Sydney departing at 2100 to Dubai on the A380 ( fabulous! the quietest and most comfortable plane I've flown on. You barely notice it taking off!)

I then got stuck by the volcano ( ha ha !) and the best I could get after that out of Dubai a week later was an 0200 flight - not ideal! - again on the A777

I have flown to Aus 10 times to either Sydney or Brisbane in either economy , premium economy or business. I am in the same age bracket as you.. - trust me, If you are choosing business you will be comfortable!

I have flown business on Royal Brunei - good if you want to get off twice and stretch your legs and very good value. But their departures ex UK tend to be during the daytime so not so good for ease of body clock adjusting and sleeping ...and you arrive late evening which may not be convenient.

BA is fine but I wasn't too keen on the bed lay out ( although things may have changed since I flew BA 7 yrs ago) and Emirates who were fabulous. ...my favourite so far.

For convenience, Heathrow suits me so I can't comment. All my Oz flights have been from LHR.

Hope this helps! Any q's please don't hesitate to ask

L

Newport Gwent
Level Contributor
32 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Qatar,British,Quantas,Thai, Emirates @ business class

Hi once again Lantana,

All booked, flying with Quantas business class from Heathrow on the Airbus 380 both ways and they threw in 2 nights bed and breakfast at a 4star hotel in Sydney inclusive of the price !

Thanks.....STEVE

London, United...
Level Contributor
1,004 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Qatar,British,Quantas,Thai, Emirates @ business class

Hi Steve - that sounds like a great deal! and you will love the A380 !

I'd be interested in knowing what you paid if you don't mind..and who you booked it through? Pls PM me if you prefer not to discuss in the public arena

happy travels !

L

Newport Gwent
Level Contributor
32 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Qatar,British,Quantas,Thai, Emirates @ business class

O.k Lantana,

Contact is Alison @ Dial a flight direct line 0208 388 9800 (has been with this company 11yrs apparently)

Cost per person : £3347.50p x 2

Hope this is of use

Steve

London, United...
Level Contributor
1,004 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Qatar,British,Quantas,Thai, Emirates @ business class

Thanks Steve ...as a semi regular visitor to Oz I'm always looking out for good deals and recommendations . Trailfinders organised my last lot of travel - they were fine I have to say, but I am always open to trying various different companies.

All the best and safe travelling !

Warks.England
Destination Expert
for Myanmar, Yangon (Rangoon), Ngapali, Tossa de Mar
Level Contributor
14,988 posts
367 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Qatar,British,Quantas,Thai, Emirates @ business class

Looks like a decent price and whilst I do not know your dates of travel,expedia are coming up with only three airlines (Thai,Cathay & Etihad) that are cheaper and only by a couple of hundred £'s and with no free hotel rooms.

I think Dialaflight did you a decent deal and whilst I generally avoid checking prices after I buy, if you are brave enough then do a dummy booking on www.expedia.com

or

www.netflights.com

to satisfy yourself.

Incidentally, I have used the Thai LHR/BKK sectors many times and their Business seating and AVOD is acceptable but what is exceptional is their in flight service in Business and First.

Let us know how you get on with Qantas

Edited: 29 April 2010, 17:02
Newport Gwent
Level Contributor
32 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Qatar,British,Quantas,Thai, Emirates @ business class

Dear Lntana,

Forgot to say besides the flight and the 2 nights hotel they are also sorting the visas inclusive of price and they only wanted a deposit ,full payment 10 weeks before departure date.

I ddint know how to PM you sorry.

I was wondering how people manage to travel all that distance without being able to shower or change clothes unless of course you can.

If you have any tips for me no matter how obvious and you dont mind I would welcome them.

Dont worry you cant offend ME ! LOL

Steve