We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

British Airways strike

Hampshire
9 posts
Save Topic
British Airways strike

The profanity filter is preventing me write the words I would like to describe the Unite union and BA staff that are voting to strike

Given the last strike, volcanic ash cloud and the possibility of a second strike, there are some BA flights that are threatened to be grounded for 20 days.

Think of the passengers, who have jobs with working conditions that they don't like. What compensates is the holiday that they have planned.

The fact that you are considering a further strike brings misery to these passengers.

The general public of the UK has to put up with so much depression, I find your actions totally intorable.

I am so angry at you for even thinking about a second stike, considering there has been enough misery caused by your first strike and the ash cloud.

What the **** are you thinking of?

Worthing, United...
Level Contributor
2,537 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: British Airways strike

I agree. I'm flying BA home from Canada on May 19th/20th & am waiting with baited breath for the outcome of the talks & whether they'll announce more strike dates. Let's hope sanity prevails & they don't call for more strike action.

Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
36,611 posts
342 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: British Airways strike

I agree. The only silver lining is that flight disruptions actually help the UK Balance of payments by stopping more UK tourists leaving than foreign tourists coming to Britain.

How patriotic can you get?

UK
Level Contributor
49,561 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: British Airways strike

I've just booked an Air Canada flight today (Toronto-UK return). It was going to be BA until a couple of days ago. Although it was unlikely there would be a strike on the outbound, it was theoretically possible and I didn't want to be hanging onto the news for the next 8 days until the strike notice period expired. Plus prices rising all the time (sods law says there will be a sale next week :-)

I selected seats on the AC flights (free for 'standard' seats, unlike BA) , and the flight was a fair bit cheaper than BA not even counting that) and surprised how full the plane was on both legs, got one of the last aisles outbound and return, no window seats left at all.

However I don't understand your comment "there are some BA flights that are threatened to be grounded for 20 days".

London
Level Contributor
8,118 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: British Airways strike

I have B.A. flights booked for end of May and thought all disruption would be over by then. I am sure that our 'Gordon' has had quiet words with Unite and no further mention of strike action will be mentioned until after election. This messy action has been ongoing since before Christmas and I thought would all be sorted out by now.

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
for Khao Lak, Khao Sok National Park
Level Contributor
38,879 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: British Airways strike

Strange that WW can (allegedly) bring an end to the closure of UK airports due to ash cloud but he can't (apparently) bring an end to this dispute.

Hampshire
9 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: British Airways strike

Hi joeintheuk,

I reached the figure of 20 days that some flights would not be operating by adding up the following:

Number of days of first strike: 7

Number of days of ash cloud risk: 6

Estimated number of days of second strike: 7

When we considered which airline to Fly to Canada with, we looked at BA and AC. We went with BA, becuase we wanted premium economy seating and AC don't seem to have these type of seats.

UK
Level Contributor
49,561 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: British Airways strike

Yes if you want to fly PE on that route, which we also do (this flight wasn't for me) I don't think anyone else does it so its BA or no one. Hopefully by the time of my next flight, later this year, the situation will be clear re strikes* and a sale on as well - I paid more for this economy flight than my PE flight last Jan :-)

* my guess is, late May-June more strikes, BA carries on with increasingly weaker strike effects, strikers will eventually be fired and replaced with people at half the wages - more fool the strikers who AFAICS weren't willing to put up with minor compromises for the sake of keeping the best paid & most glamorous waitressing job in the world.

Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
36,611 posts
342 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: British Airways strike

Arandora.

The answer to your query is that WW was dealing with intelligent people in one of the cases.

What is the difference between a Cloud of Ash and Unite?

You know there just HAS to be a joke in there acheing to get out. Anybody?

watford
Level Contributor
175 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: British Airways strike

I agree well said!! the problem is that none of us knows what day they may strike on so we cant do anything about t it.if someone said ok we are poss striking on x date then people could get everything sort out but loads of people like myself book separately and if u are going laong haul it will take loads of work to try and change it!Im sure if nurses and hospital staff ever striked for their lousy pay and long hours and one of the BA staff needed ! treatment u wouldnt hear the end of it! After my hoiiday i will never use this company again !

watford
Level Contributor
175 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: British Airways strike

Ps i dont think many of them will strike this time as they probably know walsh has got a lot of reinforcements now. BA staff are just trying to get attention from the world media to say look at how badly treated we are/. I mean its not rocket science. Cabin crew have never been paid that well but they get the added perks of going round the world in luxury!