We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tell flight attendant of my medical condition?

Connecticut
2 posts
Save Topic
Tell flight attendant of my medical condition?

I am flying from US to Europe on Alitalia. I am being treated weekly for chemo, and I am taking prescription meds with me, not only for the chemo, but for other medical problems.

I am usually a good passenger on flights of 3 hours or less, but I am concerned that I may encounter side effects due to flying, such as dizziness, nauseau and pain, even though I have meds for these symptoms.

Let's face it, I'm also concerned about inconsiderate and annoying passengers disrupting the relaxation that I need in order for the meds to work.

Would a flight attendant need to know, or is it just a waste of time? Thank you for your responses.

Boston...
Level Contributor
125 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tell flight attendant of my medical condition?

I'm just a frequent domestic flier but I would say yes, it can't hurt to let them know. They will then know what is wrong if you aren't feeling well and just may be mindful of passengers around you. I can't imagine how it would hurt to be up front. Happy travels.

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
62,941 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Tell flight attendant of my medical condition?

What would be your purpose in telling the flight attendant? Do you need them to do something special for you? If not, then I don't see the point of telling anyone about your medical issues. I think you are quite anxious about the trip. Unfortunately I don't think the attendants can help with that.

Most passengers who fly to Europe will not annoy you. They will probably be asleep.

UK
Level Contributor
49,560 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Tell flight attendant of my medical condition?

<<but I am concerned that I may encounter side effects due to flying,>>

Other than potential nausea, which any other passenger could get, I cant see why you think you'd suffer any other ill effects (such as pain (??) or dizzyness **purely from flying**) , so why say anything at all? Not to menton the slight but very real possibility, if you give them the impression through what you say that you may collapse as soon as it takes off, they may not let you fly in the first place.

<<I'm also concerned about inconsiderate and annoying passengers disrupting the relaxation that I need in order for the meds to work.>>

In that frame of mind, you are setting yourself up for trouble, take an iPod or similar, a couple of good books, and get on in a frame of mind to relax, not to seek out annoying behaviour. In other good news, AFAIK, chemo relies on chemicals attacking cells, how relaxed you are wont make any difference, a cancer cell doesn't know if your mind is relaxed.

So I'd say, keep quiet, and enjoy the flight, and good luck with the chemo.

Scotland
Level Contributor
1,332 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Tell flight attendant of my medical condition?

Agreed, unless there is something they can actually *do* to help you, or you need them to know (e.g. so that they can do something specific in the event of an emergency), I wouldn't alert them on boarding - you may well just have them questioning your fitness to fly.

If things do take a turn for the worse inflight, a quick word / request for glass of water, etc, would probably do.

Nashville, TN
Level Contributor
6,028 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Tell flight attendant of my medical condition?

It might be a good idea if you're going to have to take any meds while in transit and if the meds change your behavior in any way. Also, the attendants can keep an eye on you and assist if needed. Check out the Know Before You Go link on this US Customs page for information on what their regulations and suggestions are for prescription medications. www.customs.gov/xp/cgov/travel/vacation/kbyg/

UK
Level Contributor
49,560 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Tell flight attendant of my medical condition?

<Also, the attendants can keep an eye on you and assist if needed. .>

I fear they are more likely to pre-empt that by denying the passenger the right to fly if she gives the impression she is going to collapse the moment the plane takes off, and if she isn't going to collapse then whats the point in telling them anything, what can they do? On any flight there will be people taking medication, nothing out of the ordinary there.

And if she is going to do nothing more than be sick, unpleasant as that is, well there must be a few on each flight who are nauseous due to standard travel sickness, no need to worry them on that account especially as it may not happen anyway, but again, other than finding a sick bag, they arent going to be able to do anything, they aren't nurses.

Nashville, TN
Level Contributor
6,028 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Tell flight attendant of my medical condition?

Maybe in the UK they would deny boarding, but I'm very doubtful they would here in the US. With Air Marshalls on most flights and a number of fellow passengers watching the other passengers for any type of abnormal behavior, the more the flight attendants are aware of, the better. If there are any doubts contact the airline directly and speak to a supervisor (the person answering the phone is probably a call center employee and may not know) or contact your travel provider. The biggest issue will be the meds and the information you need to clear US customs is located in the brochure previously mentioned. You might also check the Consulate pages of the countries you are visiting to see if they have any special requirements.

UK
Level Contributor
49,560 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Tell flight attendant of my medical condition?

<<I'm very doubtful .>

That's my entire point, now seems you also agree there is a **slight possibility** (=very doubtful) they will deny boarding? That's **significantly greater** than the effectively zero possibility before she said anything to worry them.

So remind me whats the upside of telling them in advance of getting on the plane and feeling ill?

Unless you are implying an air marshall may shoot you if you start being sick or you collapse, and haven't previously warned them you may do this, I don't see the point regards your comments on that.

Good point on checking regulations on meds though I doubt in practice there will be any issues its generally mid east countries that seem to have problems there.

Connecticut
2 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Tell flight attendant of my medical condition?

joeintheuk - You're making too much of this. We have a saying "forewarned is forearmed". I doubt that I will collapse at any time during the trip. I just wanted to be prepared. Also, my oncologist tells me that the most important part of my treatment is to reduce stress - that's why I need to relax.

vegas-guide - Thank you for the suggestion to check out "What You Need To Know....". It was helpful.

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
62,941 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Tell flight attendant of my medical condition?

firsttimeever, I agree that YOU should be forewarned and prepared for all eventualities but I don't think the flight attendants need to know any of your issues. As mentioned, people travel with meds every day, and are nauseous every day . I doubt if everyone who thinks they might be airsick will have an advantage by telling the staff ahead of time about that possibility.