We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Really dumb questions on airport rules and procedures

Boston...
Level Contributor
114 posts
34 reviews
Save Topic
Really dumb questions on airport rules and procedures

Hello, pardon the ignorance but we're taking our first trip to the UK (then train to France) this week from Boston. 1st, we realize we will have to pass through customs when we arrive in the UK but are there any procedures other than the usual security checkpoint when we depart?

2nd, I'm a smoker. I've heard that if I bring a carton of cigarettes, they may be confiscated when we arrive. Does anyone know how many packs I can bring?

3rd, is chewing tobacco allowed be it carry on or checked luggage?

Dumb questions but I appreciate the help.

Bingley, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
31,876 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Really dumb questions on airport rules and procedures

Not only will you have to pass through customs on arrival but you'll also have to pass through immigration as well

<<< I've heard that if I bring a carton of cigarettes, they may be confiscated when we arrive. Does anyone know how many packs I can bring? >>>

Utter BS - unless you happen to have a suitcase full of them in which case customs will take a great interest in you. As for chewing tobacco I doubt that anyone in the UK would know it from normal tobacco

hmrc.gov.uk/customs/…arrivingnoneu.htm

norfolk
Level Contributor
7,643 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Really dumb questions on airport rules and procedures

here is a link to the information.

hmrc.gov.uk/customs/…arrivingnoneu.htm

pam

Boston...
Level Contributor
114 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Really dumb questions on airport rules and procedures

How interesting! A man we know brought a carton (10 packs) to Australia and they took them away. Apparently they only allowed him loose packs. Strange!

Do we have to do anything in Boston before we leave besides the usual checkpoint before heading to the gate? I'm just wondering why they advise arriving 3 hours ahead for international as opposed to 2 hours ahead for domestic.

Thanks!

UK
Level Contributor
49,561 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Really dumb questions on airport rules and procedures

<<IA man we know brought a carton (10 packs) to Australia and they took them away>>

One possibility, they are allowed in but you have to declare them first, and he didn't declare them.

<'m just wondering why they advise arriving 3 hours ahead for international as opposed to 2 hours ahead for domestic.>>

The full TSA strip search can take a fair while.

Boston...
Level Contributor
114 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Really dumb questions on airport rules and procedures

Thanks both for the link.....that is extremely helpful.

Hmmm...strip search....best to make sure we wear our best undies.

Thanks!

:)

Nashville, TN
Level Contributor
5,762 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Really dumb questions on airport rules and procedures

I've flown to the UK and my GF is a smoker. We bought her cigarrettes at JFK airport before our departure. Bought an extra carton for after we got back as there's no Federal or State excise tax charged in the Duty free shop (you may need to show your passport and your ticket proving you are flying overseas) and they are a lot cheaper. We had no problems whatsoever when we got to the UK. Check out the Know Befor You Go link on this page for information on US Customs Regulations for yourn return: www.customs.gov/xp/cgov/travel/vacation/kbyg/

Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
5,793 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Really dumb questions on airport rules and procedures

When you leave the UK to go to France, there will be no security check on the train and only a cursory glance at you at customs on arrival in France. Carry what you can into the UK by way of fags...sorry, cigarettes...up to your international travel allowance. I think it is 2 packs each...even if you don't smoke! Ciggies are cheap in France in any event!

Your allowance probably includes for chewing tobacco too; carry it where you wish!

Boston...
Level Contributor
114 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Really dumb questions on airport rules and procedures

Oh good to know! I thought for sure cigs would be $$$$$$ (sorry, don't have the symbol for Euro's )! Thanks!

Nashville, TN
Level Contributor
5,762 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Really dumb questions on airport rules and procedures

Here's a link to the UK Customs Brochure: …homeoffice.gov.uk/sitecontent/…notice1.pdf It states there are no limits on tobacco for personal use. However, there is a 200 cigarette P/P limit on the amount you can bring back into the US.

london
Level Contributor
8,928 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Really dumb questions on airport rules and procedures

As Stu said, there is very little in terms of security and immigration on your way into France. The same cannot be said for return to the United Kingdom. The immigration process at St Pancras can be every bit as stringent as it will b at Heathrow

I also believe, though this may have changed, that you cannot purchase cartons of cigarettes in France and bring them back into the UK, without being subject to duty