We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Disadvantages to top level on A380?

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
385 posts
37 reviews
Save Topic
Disadvantages to top level on A380?

Almost ready to book our flights to Paris in late August. At this point it is really between Singapore & Malaysian Airlines, mainly because of the time they arrive at Charles de Gaulle, & the quality of flight service. We will be travelling on the Eurostar to London the same day, hence needing to get in early to CDG.

I know there are advantages to booking a seat on the top level (economy) in the A380, quieter, less people, etc. Are there any disadvantages to be aware of though? Such as last for meal service, less attention by FA, etc.

I just feel, as we can't afford Business or First class, I would like to at least pay the extra and fly on what some consider the best plane with the best airline. Of course, if I get a really good price on Malaysian, I will go with them.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Coventry, United...
Level Contributor
525 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Disadvantages to top level on A380?

Hi

We were on the SQ A380 18 months ago, top deck, seats 80 D,E & F which were fabulous for leg room. FA service was excellent so I cannot see how it would have been better on lower deck.

Have also flown MAS many times & never had any issues with them (excellent FA's & food) so if it were me, I would happily travel with either with convenience & cost being my only two considerations.

Best wishes.

Itik

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
385 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Disadvantages to top level on A380?

Thank you for that, it's very difficult at the moment, I am getting obsessed with browsing! i want to book NOW!!!!!!!!

So I am probably overthinking everything.

India
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
5,164 posts
174 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Disadvantages to top level on A380?

Malaysian Airlines does not have the A380...yet, still delayed see the latest news below

businessweek.com/news/2010-04-30/malaysian-a…

So if it was me and I really wanted to fly on the A380, stick with Singapore Airlines.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
385 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Disadvantages to top level on A380?

Oh, I know Malaysian don't have the A380, they are the 2 preferred airlines that arrive at CDG early morning though.

Singapore is about $200 to $300 more per person, when there are 6 of us, it is quite a difference. But, it would be nice to go on the A380.

norfolk
Level Contributor
7,664 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Disadvantages to top level on A380?

i regularly fly between malaysia and london on both these airlines. on the london/malaysia leg, the service with both airlines is very good. i have found on the return journey, singapore air are generally better. i don't know why.

the disadvantages i came across for the a380 upper deck; more children in this cabin, and the curve of the roof line reduces headroom on the window seat. the storage locker next to the window seat is useful, but means one cannot lean on the wall to sleep so easily. i much prefer the a380 upper deck though.

pam

bristol uk
Level Contributor
1,025 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Disadvantages to top level on A380?

Just returned from Sydney on the A380 with Singapore - I can see no disadvantages to the upper deck at all. The locker adjacent to the 2 seat rows is really useful a) you can fill it up with stuff that you don't need yet it's all to hand when you do need it and b)you can pile up the blankets and pillows and sleep on a bit of a slant. I would also add that we were "stranded" in Sydney for 6 additional nights, because of volcanic ash, and Singpoere Airlines were outstanding in terms of looking after their passengers and keeping them well imformed of the developing situation. Just today Irish airspace has been closed for several hours because of a new ash cloud so it's currently an on-going issue for air travel in this part of the world. The staff were great, plenty of good quality food and of course they offer singapore slings !!

Melbourne
Destination Expert
for Melbourne
Level Contributor
5,557 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Disadvantages to top level on A380?

I have flown with SIA between Melbourne and Singapore in both the upper and lower decks, and to be honest, I can't find much difference at all. If anything, the upper deck is less crowded, but both levels seem to have their own crew, so there was never a problem getting a FA's attention for anything.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
385 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Disadvantages to top level on A380?

Thanks for all those replies.

With the 'lack of headroom in the window seat, upper deck', is it the sort of lack of headroom, where you have to keep your head tilted all night or just crouch a bit when you get up to leave your seat?

My sons are all above average height & I don't want to get off the plane and have everyone complaining about sore necks. (Even though it's normally Hubby that has a little whinge about stuff like this - not my sons, Lol)

Coventry, United...
Level Contributor
525 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Disadvantages to top level on A380?

$1200 - $1800 extra for 6 of you to say that you have been on the A380 is a bit steep.

I enjoyed the experience, apart from a very nasty piece of turbulence, but not to the extent of paying that much extra (not when there are handbags & shoes calling my name).

norfolk
Level Contributor
7,664 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Disadvantages to top level on A380?

i would call the headroom thing very minor. just watch it if you stand up. the aircraft is lovely, and very quiet. i've booked my next trip on it rather than air malaysia because i think it worth the small premium and the inconvenient flight times.

pam