We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How does trip insurance work, and where would I find it?

Trumbull...
Level Contributor
262 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
How does trip insurance work, and where would I find it?

So for obvious reasons due to the current travel climate in Europe due to mother nature, and of course the nature of the country I'm traveling to in July (which is Greece), my fiancee is a bit worried that our flights could be delayed, or worse, cancelled at last minute. I've never had travel insurance before, but in the event that my $1000 plane tickets are cancelled or diverted, and my rather pricey hotel room goes empty for a night or two, would travel insurance help me in a situation like that? i.e. reimburse me for lost hotel room cost and possibly extra flight costs? How would I go about finding travel insurance?

Level Contributor
5,896 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How does trip insurance work, and where would I find it?

It depends on what policy you bought and from which company you bought it from. Be sure to read the terms & conditions, all the fine print carefully. Yeah, most do cover for trip interruption and so forth, and they claim to pay for your hotel costs in those cases as well as maybe your airline tickets. But again read the fine print as to what the coverage is all about and what is excluded. For example, my regular travel insurance company has decided to not pay for any claims resulting from British Airways strikes after February 2010. So what I bought was useless as my family and I have BA flights that are strike affected, but it was my mistake for not realizing this beforehand. I did get a refund less an admin. fee, but it is something you need to look for as well: the insurance company's strike list.

Check www.insuremytrip.com for various insurance companies and their policies.

Edited: 10 May 2010, 22:05
UK
Level Contributor
49,561 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How does trip insurance work, and where would I find it?

<<How would I go about finding travel insurance?>>

Start with a time machine, as almost no one will insure you for events that are extremely forseeable, such as the volcanic ash or for strikes that have been declared or are likely to be declared. There is also something called "cancel for any reason" travel insurance - quite pricey but maybe that would do it?

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
85,411 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How does trip insurance work, and where would I find it?

In general, travel insurance usually provides cover for things that could not have been known at the time when the tickets were bought or bookings made, or the insurance purchased. Thus there is no cover against BA strikes once it is known that they are likely.

Similarly, most insurance companies now take the attitude that the Iceland volcano and the unrest in Greece are known problems and therefore not covered.

You might do best to talk with a travel agent to see if they have any policy that might be helpful.

Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
32,768 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: How does trip insurance work, and where would I find it?

If you *know* your plane will fall out the sky, you will not get travel insurance for the event.

You ask how you can find travel insurance... Have you tried Google?

Scotland
Level Contributor
1,332 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: How does trip insurance work, and where would I find it?

If I *know* my plane will fall out of the sky, I don't need to be insured against it, I rebook to a later flight!

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
10,857 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: How does trip insurance work, and where would I find it?

If I *know* my plane will fall out of the sky, I don't need to be insured against it, I rebook to a later flight!

<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

Unless you were on the plane, then of course, no need for any sort of rebooking.

Trumbull...
Level Contributor
262 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: How does trip insurance work, and where would I find it?

Man from what you all say, if some insurance companies are considering a volcano eruption and a strike "forseeable" events, then that's ridiculous. I booked my flights long before the volcano eruption, and the hotel I booked 9 months in advance- long before the Greeks started protesting.

Level Contributor
5,896 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: How does trip insurance work, and where would I find it?

And the volcano now being considered to be an expected event don't depend on coverage for sure in case of airline strikes. It depends on the insurance company, but mine put British Airways on their strike list. They will not pay for any claims resulting from BA strikes with policy effective dates past 21st Feb. 2010.

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
37,879 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: How does trip insurance work, and where would I find it?

I think that there have been a few discussions about this before and it seems to be a mindset in the USA that people don't travel with insurance policies in place whereas in Europe and other parts of the world they would not go without it. I see that you seem to have travelled extensively before is that correct?

Have you never considered what would happen if you got sick or were in a serious accident. Medical costs could be enormous and repatriation by air ambulance to the USA would be in the order of tens of thousands of dollars.

I have had an annual insurance policy for many years now. Never thankfully had to use it but it is there in case of mishaps.

No insurance company will insure you for pre existing condition (well except for amuch higher premium) and as the volcano is still spewing out ash and weather patterns are not foreseable more than a few days in advance, they can just say at the time you take out the policy that they will not cover you.

It is irrelevant that you bought tickets months ago it is only relevant when you buy the policy

Scotland
Level Contributor
1,332 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: How does trip insurance work, and where would I find it?

Man from what you all say, if some insurance companies are considering a volcano eruption and a strike "forseeable" events, then that's ridiculous. I booked my flights long before the volcano eruption, and the hotel I booked 9 months in advance- long before the Greeks started protesting

Yes - but you didn't buy your insurance before it all started, unfortunately. If you buy insurance now, these things are clearly foreseeable (as you have demonstrated by raising this topic), and therefore uninsurable against.

I only ever let my annual travel insurance expire if I don't have any bookings in the future, and renew it as soon as I do - because who knows what could happen the very next day?

On the upside - you will, in all likelihood, be fine :)