We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Food For Thought... What's a rude traveler?

atlanta
Level Contributor
4,199 posts
44 reviews
Save Topic
Food For Thought... What's a rude traveler?

I have had a run of more then normal travel.. based on what I have seen I have complied the following list!

You might be a rude traveler if…..

(Apologies to Jeff Foxworthy)

…. You think that the carryon plus personal item also means you can take on a purse, shopping bag, gym shoe bag, etc.. There’s no exception for “parents”, “frequent fliers”,etc.. you really aren’t that special.

…. You think that the “place the smaller item” under the seat in front of you request applies to EVERYONE ELSE, but you have an “exemption” and both of your items can go overhead.

…. You can’t possibly lift the carryon into the overhead, but assume others will gladly risk injury for you.

…. You stop at the top of the escalator in the airport and then GLARE at the people behind you when they run into you. (Hint, the escalator does not stop because YOU did, those people are still coming MOVE!)

…. You get on the plane and want to put YOUR carryon in the front of the plane even though you are in row 50 because “I have a tight connection and various injuries that make it hard for me to carry my luggage long distances” (that’s what baggage check was for)

…..You think the Flight Attendant’s main job is to be your personal servant and demonstrate this by “snapping your fingers” and making lots of “special requests” (Uh.. no, they can’t really heat up the food you brought on board, put your French cheese in the refrigerator, make the person in front of you quit reclining, babysit your child etc…)

… At ANY time during your trip you loudly announce (a) how much you spent on this ticket, (b) how many miles you fly on said airline, (c) how much money you spend annually on the airline or (d) that you know someone in management for the airline. (No one cares!)

…. At ANY time during your trip, your behavior resembles that of a 2 year old. (Stomping feet, screaming and otherwise acting out to get what you want)

…. If you didn’t pay for seat assignments and now expect others who did to move because “I can’t be separated from my child/spouse etc”. (If it’s that important fork over the cash) And if you try this stunt on a flight to someplace like Orlando where EVERYONE has kids… WHAT ARE YOU THINKING?

…. If you are a member of an airline club and you walk up to the TV that people are watching and change the channel because “I wanted to watch a different game”

….If you put “junior” in the “empty seat” next to you because “my travel agent told me I could put him in an empty seat” and then WHINE when the Flight Attendant points out there are NO empty seat and Junior has to go on your LAP!

And while not rude… you might be clueless.

… If you honestly think that you can fly across the Atlantic with a 20 month old on your lap, just because the airlines will let you! And then you complain to everyone around you how uncomfortable you and child are…..

… You put valuable jewelry and electronics in your checked luggage.

(And all but the last item have happened to me in the past few months!)

Jerusalem, Israel
Destination Expert
for Jerusalem
Level Contributor
3,603 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Food For Thought... What's a rude traveler?

You forgot the person next to you who thinks that his/her elbows have the right to the whole armrest, and half of your seat as well.

Somerset, United...
Level Contributor
2,992 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Food For Thought... What's a rude traveler?

Hi Carol

Good post and I agree with all the points on your list. I encounter so many people on my travels who fall into the categories that you describe. One of the favourites is carrying cabin luggage just slightly over the stipulated dimensions and then creating hell when they are pulled over by the "size police" at the boarding gate, holding up the queue behind them and accusing the boarding assistant of being a "jobsworth" or worse. Or people who are just having one last pint in the bar and have to be called 5 times whilst a planeload of passengers are sat on the tarmac waiting for them and, when they finally get on the plane, smirk like they are a naughty little boy who doesn't see what the problem is!

Anyway, good one carol.

South London
Level Contributor
1,410 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Food For Thought... What's a rude traveler?

Or..

The person who choses the most foul smelling pair of shoes/ socks to travel in. Also to Note : they offer deoderants under 100ml!

The person who reclines in front of you while you are being served hot drinks/food.

The person who laughs loudly at the funny bit in the film.

The person who falls asleep leaning over to your side and progresses further towards you throughout the flight.

The person who refuses to move an inch when you need the bathroom.

The person that lets their kids do as they wish so they can get some peace (never mind the rest of us)

The person who reads your book/magazine over your shoulder.

The person who won't stop talking!! Also, The person who starts talking about their kids. God help them if they have pictures...

The person who insists on complaining about everything ,,then tries to get you to agree with them in front of the staff.

Also the snorer and the person who feels the need to share their bodily functions.

The person with a cold...and no tissues.

Edited: 20 May 2010, 19:14
Jerusalem, Israel
Destination Expert
for Jerusalem
Level Contributor
3,603 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Food For Thought... What's a rude traveler?

Carol and Jessep - great lists indeed!

I've just remembered another - the guy right in front of you who puts his arms up over the top of his seat, to rest his head on, or just plain stretch, on flights with overhead one-movie-suits-all in-flight "entertainment" systems. Then he gets mad at you if you ask him to put his arms down so that you can watch the movie ....

Wales
Level Contributor
2,225 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Food For Thought... What's a rude traveler?

... The person in the row behind you who can't get up without leaning on the back of your seat, often pulling your hair at the same time.

... and the two people travelling together on flights with no pre-allocated seat, who rush to board and then take one window and one aisle seat in the expectation/hope that none of the later boarders will choose to sit in the middle seat between them. Sorry - I've got you sussed ....

Edited: 20 May 2010, 20:00
New York
Level Contributor
153 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Food For Thought... What's a rude traveler?

Unfortunately, there are a lot of rude, annoying, and impatient passengers regardless of age (even kids), sex and race. People behaved in 70's and 80's on the plane. Lately, people do not respect other passengers anymore.

That is why I try to avoid flying coach even US domestic short flights. Save money and mileage, and fly business/first.

Please tell me how you fly coach comfortably.

Level Contributor
5,896 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Food For Thought... What's a rude traveler?

I agree with you on all, CarolLeeAtlanta. Also to jessep666 this is my number one peeve also: "The person who reclines in front of you while you are being served hot drinks/food." Yeah, it's great for them to relax and eat while whomever is behind them has their food and drinks rammed into their chest. Besides I don't get how anyone can eat in a reclined position...

To 0985880 can you please explain how one can save money by flying in either business or first class? I'm willing to bet that all of us flying coach don't do it for the 'comfort' and would be grateful to fly business/first if we could afford to do so.

Edited: 20 May 2010, 20:20
Perugia, Italy
Level Contributor
1,064 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Food For Thought... What's a rude traveler?

The people who act all surprised when you point out that their child has been steadily kicking your seat back for the past five minutes. Oh, I forgot, on my last flight it wasn't a child, it was an adult who thought putting her tray table up and down a few hundred times was an amusing exercise.

Level Contributor
5,896 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Food For Thought... What's a rude traveler?

Add to that the adult passenger behind you who thinks nothing of reaching inside their seat pouch a million times basically palming you in the rear each time.

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
1,599 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Food For Thought... What's a rude traveler?

the person who beleives that because they have "gold status" in their frequent flyer program they are above all rules and common courteousy and have a sense of entitlement which they loudly proclaim to anyone who will or wont listen.