We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Reclining?

Denver, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Pecs, Budapest
Level Contributor
4,739 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Reclining?

Yes , I know that this has been a topic of irritation.

However, there is one item that one needs to understand about it. This is the business of havng someone behind you 'grab' the top of your seat.

In the cramped concditions in Economy, it is usually the case that the person behind you simply CANNOT get out without 'grabbing' your seat if you are reclined. This is not rudeness or lack of consideration. It's really phsically impossible. I'm not referring to the person's physical fitness, or other personal things. I'm referring to stuff like Newton.

If you cannot get your center of gravity in front of your seat, you can't stand up to get out of it. In order to do that, you have to pull something in front of you until you can, and get your feet under that. The geometry of the reclined seats prevents you from 'getting up' without pulling yourself forward, and the only thing you have to do that with is the seat in front of you.

I know that this is an annoyance, However, as long as the distances between rows of seats remain as they are, people who recline need to be aware that they will probably be bothered by prople behind them pulling themselves up in order yo get out.

London, England
Level Contributor
296 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Reclining?

I don't agree it's the only way, but it is probably the most obvious and natural way. You can push up on the arms of your seat and shuffle sideways so long as the people next to you get out of their seats to let you out.

Level Contributor
5,896 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Reclining?

I understand what you're saying. However, I have had fellow passengers seated behind me grab the top of my headrest and pull it backwards in order to get a grasp onto something to steady themselves, and this is when I'm not reclined. They act as though it's their right to do so, not bothering to apologize. Many times their grasp includes my hair too. I think that is quite rude. I don't like to recline my seat 99% of the flights I take. On the rare occasion that I do it's very slight that it probably won't even be noticeable at a glance.

Bangkok
Destination Expert
for Bangkok, Air Travel, Thailand
Level Contributor
15,662 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Reclining?

Hi,

Because I'm aware of how it impacts the person seated in front of me, I try like heck not to use the seat in front of me.. I tend to do the "turn and spin" move..

That is using my immediate arm rests to push myself to a partial standing upright position, but also turning 180 degree so that I am facing my own seat-back (in other words, now facing backwards).. I will then "push" or against my own seat back cushion and/or the armrests as I slide/shuffle my way to the aisle position (if I'm not seated at the aisle seat)

I do empathize with the window person in any 3-X-3 cabin or the middle person in a X-5-X cabin, as two seating positions is a long way to slide to the aisle-- regardless of how it's done..

Travel Safe,

Denver, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Pecs, Budapest
Level Contributor
4,739 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Reclining?

I'm really quite serious. Even with the use of the armrests (assuming you have that), nothing is going to get you sufficiently upright to get out unless you can get the C of G above your seat.

atlanta
Level Contributor
4,361 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Reclining?

I am going to check tomorrow to be sure, but I don't think I have ever "grabbed the seat" in front of me to get up. I don't let it bother me too much if someone else does however. Compared to the other issues this is small.

I also do recline (GASP) LOL!

Denver, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Pecs, Budapest
Level Contributor
4,739 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Reclining?

I don't object to people who recline. It's understandable on a long-haul flight.

I do object to people who rant and rail about the people behind them who need to use the back of the seat in order to get out because it's impossible to get one's feet under the C of G.

(Retired prof of Physics and Mechanical Engineering)

Level Contributor
5,896 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Reclining?

Eh, who's ranting?

Mountain View...
Level Contributor
329 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Reclining?

I try my best to use my own seat to push against. It helps that there are usually 2 of us getting up, so I raise the arm rest, twist, push on my seat back to push myself into a semi standing position.

I am a very light sleeper so the WORST is having somebody do that jerk trick when I am finally asleep on an international red-eye flight.

Denver, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Pecs, Budapest
Level Contributor
4,739 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Reclining?

All I'm trying to say is that in many circumstances, it is truly not possible to get to a standing position without using a little help from the seat in front of you. So, just be patient if someone behind you does. He/she is not necessarily being rude or inconsiderate.

South Pole
Level Contributor
15,381 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Reclining?

back to school for a post grad course for u, oddone. anyone except the totally incapacitated should be able get our of their seat without grabbing the back of the one in front of them. didn't u raise this subject a few years ago and were similarly "shot down in flames"