We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

FYI - Paper I-94W's for Visa Waiver countries going away

Bangkok
Destination Expert
for Bangkok, Air Travel, Thailand
Level Contributor
15,528 posts
71 reviews
Save Topic
FYI - Paper I-94W's for Visa Waiver countries going away

Hi,

As information..

The DHS today issued a press release indicating that the need for a physical paper I-94W form will be discontinued for those nationals entering under the WVP program.

In part, this is due to the implementation of the paper-less ESTA program which became mandatory in January 2009.

The implementation of the paper-less WVP program will be phased in on a rolling basis to all POE's (Port of Entries) and will be concluded "by the end of this summer."

Full text here:

dhs.gov/ynews/releases/pr_1274366942074.shtm

Travel Safe,

South Pole
Level Contributor
15,381 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: FYI - Paper I-94W's for Visa Waiver countries going away

good news. maybe this will speed up the immigration lines a little with less wrongly filled out cards altho i suspect the other I94 card will still create its share of problems.

Nannup, Australia
Level Contributor
3,652 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: FYI - Paper I-94W's for Visa Waiver countries going away

I note that this impiles that it won't apply to land border crossings.

Surrey UK
Level Contributor
1,979 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: FYI - Paper I-94W's for Visa Waiver countries going away

Yippee! I really hated those little boxes especially as it was my job to fill in all forms for my family of 4.

But will flights to the US now seem longer?

Unfortunately with flight prices the way they are, ash clouds where they are and the £/$ exchange rate where it is I am not likely to enjoy this benefit in the immediate future

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
937 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: FYI - Paper I-94W's for Visa Waiver countries going away

LOL Carhirer, I can sympathise - it's my job for 5 of us - and 6 if my Mum travels too!

You're right though - all that form filling did provide 30 minutes or so of distraction...

We're off to California at the end of June - hope LAX is one of the early converts!

Scotland
Level Contributor
1,332 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: FYI - Paper I-94W's for Visa Waiver countries going away

Removal of temptation - good! I'm always frightened that I might succomb to my naturally flippant tendencies and answer their stupid questions in the way that they deserve to be answered; i.e. that - yes - despite only being 30, I was a member of the Nazi Party in 1930s Germany, and yes - I am coming to your country with the sole intention of overthrowing the Government.

Edited: 21 May 2010, 12:28
Broadstairs, United...
Level Contributor
199 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: FYI - Paper I-94W's for Visa Waiver countries going away

So no need to answer the question if "I was a member of the Nazi party between 1933 and 1945?" anymore!!! Oh, I'm gonna miss it!!!

Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
37,001 posts
353 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: FYI - Paper I-94W's for Visa Waiver countries going away

"""I was a member of the Nazi party between 1933 and 1945?" ""

Is it Ok to join now then? Where do I get a form and how much is the subscription?

And what about the Whitehouse? They won't know I am coming to overthrow them.

Schweinhunds!

A.Quisling Jr. (Ret'd)

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
850 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: FYI - Paper I-94W's for Visa Waiver countries going away

Having filled in the green card crossing both the Pacific and the Atlantic to reach the US of A several times in the last decade, I don't recall a question about membership of the NSDAP. Or was it so stupid a question that I ignored it and marked "no"?

UK
Level Contributor
49,561 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: FYI - Paper I-94W's for Visa Waiver countries going away

<<I don't recall a question about membership of the NSDAP. Or was it so stupid a question that I ignored it and marked "no"?.>

Its still there on the ESTA form so the answer is, your latter point applies :-)

Zafiragirl, if you haven't already done so, get your ESTAs done before the $10 charge comes in, which will be soon. If there is a charge at the moment, its a scam site.

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
937 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: FYI - Paper I-94W's for Visa Waiver countries going away

Done already Joe, but thanks for the heads-up. May be useful for other visitors to the forum. :)