We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What's In A Name?

Nairobi, Kenya
Level Contributor
3,755 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
What's In A Name?

Anyone else here get as fed up as me with mis-spelled (or even completely made-up) airline names? So does one esteemed Patrick Smith... http://tinyurl.com/26hhaaa

:-)

Bangkok
Destination Expert
for Bangkok, Air Travel, Thailand
Level Contributor
15,659 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What's In A Name?

Hi,

That's a funny article and I see he even address a topic that surfaces here from time to time.. that is the old "Quantas" versus "Qantas" story..

There's a whole mess of those "Air Lines" versus "Airlines" type of things.. most of them are properly cited as Air Lines and not Airlines.. As example, some use the name UAL when in reality UAL is just a holding company, of which one of their wholly owned subsidiaries is United Air Lines- the actual air carrier. Others use the term airline when it's actually airways-- like Thai.. It's Thai Airways International PCL, not Thai Airlines.

I guess I am still surprised by how many people spell QF as Quantas.. I guess those that do never knew or realized that it's fundamentally an acronym, and properly cited as Qantas Airways Ltd.

Travel Safe,

Luzon, Philippines
Destination Expert
for Philippines, Bandar Seri Begawan
Level Contributor
18,310 posts
255 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What's In A Name?

Very informative article indeed... If I may add about Asia's first airline, its Philippine Airlines not Philippines Airline just like what some of my foreigner friends used to call it. The "s" is on the end of the second word, not the first word ;-)

Edited: 05 June 2010, 17:02
Hong Kong, China
Level Contributor
647 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What's In A Name?

Air China is way too commonly known as "China Air" while China Airlines is often mistaken for Air China (vice-versa).

Qantas / Quantas is another major issue.

Seattle, Washington
Destination Expert
for Seattle
Level Contributor
6,559 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: What's In A Name?

Somebody should tell Alaska that their website is in error. www.alaskaair.com

UK
Level Contributor
49,560 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What's In A Name?

website name != airline name

Lewes, United...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
21,467 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: What's In A Name?

The article's author missed one of the most frequently misspelt airlines, however.

easyJet is the correct spelling. Many people put the capital letter at the beginning of the word, not in the middle, or use 2. They (easyJet) don't help themselves, though, as, while their website has their name writ large at the top, many of their aircraft have a telephone number along the fuselage rather than their name.

SWT

Edited: 06 June 2010, 14:55
Scotland
Level Contributor
1,332 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: What's In A Name?

Misuse of airline and airport codes is also another source of confusion on this board - e.g. people writing VA (Virgin Australia), when they mean VS (Virgin Atlantic), or VX (Virgin America); people writing RA (Royal Nepal Airlines), when they mean FR (Ryanair), etc.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
1,766 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: What's In A Name?

How can people repeatedly mess up "Qantas", when I have never seen anyone mess up "Qatar"?

Surely it is not that difficult.

South Pole
Level Contributor
15,381 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: What's In A Name?

my problem with the mispelling of qantas is that during spelling tests in primary school (late 1950's) it was occasionally thrown in and a mistake cost a ruler over the knuckles. now people get away with it scott free!

;-)

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
9,327 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: What's In A Name?

my problem with the mispelling of qantas is that during spelling tests in primary school (late 1950's)

Did they teach you to write decades correctly? 1950s or '50s instead of 1950's...

*ruler over the knuckles*

I did see this board game today in a reputable bookstore. Can't believe it went into press and nobody noticed that! Appears they made the same c0ck up with the 1990s version too!

amazon.com/Intellinitiative-4102418-The-80s-…