We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

American Airlines vs US Airways

Columbus, Ohio
11 posts
Save Topic
American Airlines vs US Airways

Anyone have any general reviews in choosing one vs the other? Taking a flight to the Dominican Republic.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
9,462 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: American Airlines vs US Airways

Depends on the route and class of travel. The more specific information the better.

Columbus, Ohio
11 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: American Airlines vs US Airways

In General was wondering about age of planes,service, etc. The options I have are a American Airlines flight that flights from Columbus, OH to Miami, FL then from Miami to Punta Cana Dominican Republic. On the way back it is from Dominican to NY (JFK) - then on to Columbus.

The US Airways flight connects in Charlotte, NC in both directions.

Columbus, Ohio
11 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: American Airlines vs US Airways

sorry - and Economy Class

North Carolina
Level Contributor
2,134 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: American Airlines vs US Airways

If the $$ is the same I'd pick US Airways because connecting in Charlotte is a breeze. As for the airlines themselves, there's not much difference.

Auckland,New Zealand
Level Contributor
72 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: American Airlines vs US Airways

I would go with the cheapest but if the price is the same. I would probably fly with American but there is Nothing wrong with US Airways.

Remember to have a look at some of the other Airlines that fly to Columbus

Delta Airlines (probably via Atlanta)

Continental (Probably via New York Newark or Houston)

United (probably via Chicago or Washington)

Pacifica, California
Destination Expert
for Pacifica
Level Contributor
10,379 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: American Airlines vs US Airways

I constantly have problems with delayed flights in Miami with American. I'd choose US Airways.

The comment about the ease of transiting through Charlotte versus Miami and JFK makes a lot of sense.

Edited: 02 June 2010, 15:54
New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
9,462 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: American Airlines vs US Airways

CLT is one of the best hubs to transfer through of any US airline so that's a definite plus point for US.

However, I find the US service to be extremely lacking. They don't have inflight entertainment on shorthaul flights including to the Caribbean, that might bother you, it might not. Their aircraft are generally newer than the 757s that ply AA's routes but it doesn't mean a whole lot. I've flown on 25yr old AA MD-80s that feel newer than much newer Airbus aircraft US fly.

My wife and I swore off US Airways mainline a few years back after some consistently poor experiences. We're very happy flying AA though, they're my favourite of the domestic US carriers.

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Osaka
Level Contributor
57,964 posts
159 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: American Airlines vs US Airways

AA does have some older planes though. If you see an AA flight using ERJ as the equipment, avoid it whenever possible. They are extremely cramped, uncomfortable and noisy.

Belvidere, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Family Travel
Level Contributor
1,221 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: American Airlines vs US Airways

Would you be willing to fly out of Cincinnati or Cleveland? If so, check out www.usa3000.com for flights to the DR. They are the charter airline for Apple Vacations and have non-stops to the DR. I don't know your dates or flexability or if they are season flights only, but it is certainly worth a look.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
9,462 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: American Airlines vs US Airways

If you see an AA flight using ERJ as the equipment, avoid it whenever possible. They are extremely cramped, uncomfortable and noisy.

US have a lot of ERJs too.