We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

flight prices today June 1st?

Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
745 posts
116 reviews
Save Topic
flight prices today June 1st?

I've been tracking a flight (haven't paid for it yet) for weeks now. Today the combination of the flights & taxes rose $600......

Anybody else notice the same thing? Anybody know what the h---- is happening?

Thanks.

Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
33,099 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: flight prices today June 1st?

Summer? Oil spills? Economic instability due to North korea, Gaza, Eurozone (select any 2 from 3....)?

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
14,636 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: flight prices today June 1st?

Every body in the Western World wants to vacation in June or July, why?

Nashville, TN
Level Contributor
6,215 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: flight prices today June 1st?

Airfare fluctuates constantly depending on availability. If you have the flexibility, try checking different flight times and/or dates.

Maryland
Destination Expert
for Las Vegas, Washington DC, County Donegal, Western Ireland
Level Contributor
59,027 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: flight prices today June 1st?

"Anybody know what the h---- is happening? "

Well you haven't given us much to work with, like the dates of travel or even where you're going.

But it's probable that they simply have sold all of one fare "bucket" with cheaper prices (and possibly more restrictions) and now have only higher-priced fares available.

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
65,617 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: flight prices today June 1st?

$600 is an awful lot for an increase in one day!

Flights I've been tracking have gone up $200 but $600-Wow!

Mesa, Arizona
Level Contributor
9,998 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: flight prices today June 1st?

I'm watching a few flights - no substantial rise, and in one case slightly less.

A couple of years ago I went LGA-DFW....I paid about $365 but the fare bounced up and down for WEEKS....at one point (several times) it was about $1400. i SUSPECT that had a lot to do with the fact that its a "business run".

Detroit, MI
Destination Expert
for Detroit, Travel Gadgets and Gear
Level Contributor
7,111 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: flight prices today June 1st?

Sold out the last cheap seat.

Crossed a 21/14/7 day advanced purchase window.

Competitor pulled out of the route and competition gone.

Airline downsized planes and supply shrank.

Fare sale ended.

Major event announced and demand soared.

Mistake fare got loaded in the system.

New taxes went into effect.

Airline has been tracking your searches and just wanted to mess with you.

Bill Gates is sending all his employees on vacation the the same place.

Could be any/all of the above and 100 other factors. Only the airline revenue management people know, and they are not going to tell you.

Bangkok
Destination Expert
for Bangkok, Air Travel, Thailand
Level Contributor
15,770 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: flight prices today June 1st?

Hi,

$600 jump? High, but still very possible.. specially if you were looking at one of the lower(est) fare classes.. like a T fare or such.. and now only mid-range or upper-range Y-class fares, like an H or B fare are now left..

That's the one hard thing with Y-cabin fares, unlike the C/J and F cabins, where there's relatively a few fare classes, Y-cabin can have more than a dozen different fares-- each with its' own rules and restrictions and quantities available.

Travel Safe,

Surrey UK
Level Contributor
2,003 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: flight prices today June 1st?

It happened to me last year. i was tracking BA flight prices London - Philadelphia. It was about £330 for a long time and then suddenly doubled. I panicked, thinking that my constant tracking led the computer to believe there was huge demand.

It came down again 24 hrs later.

I have heard that agents can sometimes provisionally book a large block of tickets, which then pushes up the price and they release them again a few days later

Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
745 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: flight prices today June 1st?

Toronto to Grenada in November. It's been the same, fluctuating a bit here & there +/- $100 for a couple months.

Yesterday every single search engine I looked at was up $600.... I tried comparing my print-outs, and all I could see were the price per tkt was higher, and the taxes were higher. No other change. Same routes. It's weird. Sure hope it goes back to "normal" soon, then we'll probably book immediately!!!!!