We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

easyJet OLCI procedure/boarding groups

Lewes, United...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
20,124 posts
38 reviews
Save Topic
easyJet OLCI procedure/boarding groups

I don't fly easyJet that frequently so am not that au fait with their specific foibles, which seems to change more frequently than I fly with them!

Last time we used them, you could not do OLCI in advance if you had bags to check. As we usually take one hold bag between the 2 of us, one of us would do OLCI, the other would have to check in at the airport at the same time as getting the hold bag tagged and checked. I only learned that you can now check in online even if you have hold luggage in up to 60 days in advance thru this forum very recently.

We fly with them in early July. One of us had already checked in online on departure day -59. I checked the second pax in earlier today. I have also printed out our booking confirmation as it's the only document that shows we have prepaid for the hold baggage.

The reason why one of us used to check in early, even though the other had to do so at the airport so there was no time saving was that if you did OLCI with hand baggage only, you were given an early sequence boarding pass and able to be one of the first group to board the aircraft. This enabled you, without paying for priority boarding, to usually get a good seat.

Am I correct in understanding that OLCI doesn't help with this any more? I notice that both sets of boarding passes, printed out nearly 3 weeks apart, bear almost consecutive sequence numbers (5xx) and show boarding group 2. Is there something I missed or should have done? What have easyJet changed?

SWT

Somerset, United...
Level Contributor
2,992 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: easyJet OLCI procedure/boarding groups

Hi there

Easyjet used to have boarding groups A & B, and if you checked-in online you were in group A, therefore usually ahead of those not doing so who were invaraibly in group B. This has now changed as there is no longer groups A & B. Boarding now goes as follows - i) Speedy Boarding; ii) those requiring special assistance and those travelling with child 5 & under; iii) everyone else (group 2 on your boarding pass).

Hope this helps.

Scotland
Level Contributor
1,332 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: easyJet OLCI procedure/boarding groups

If it's a really long time since you flew EZY, you might recall boarding groups A, B, C, D.

Bizarrely, considering the push to get people using OLCI, those who used it were dumped into group C!

Lewes, United...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
20,124 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: easyJet OLCI procedure/boarding groups

Thanks npj and Scots Al for your kind responses.

That explains my boarding passes. I knew that they had changed procedures since we last flew them (only 15 months ago) but we've only used easyJet about 4 times over the last 4 or so years, and I don't think they had paid for priority boarding originally. I know all these LCCs are sticklers for their systems and procedures, so I thought it worth checking what the current modus operandi was.

Thanks to all the threads on this forum regarding the baggage charges issues, I believe I'm fully au fait with where we stand on that. And, as it's only a 4 day break, cannot see any reason why we won't easily come within those regs and limits, even though clearly they aren't applied evenly at the airports that they use. Also, I notice that this is all spelt out on the boarding pass itself now, more carefully worded than it used to be. (Although, I'd say, unless you know what they're getting at with the multiple bags with unchanged weight allowance issue, there could still be confusion for the uninitiated.)

Thanks again, SWT

4. Re: easyJet OLCI procedure/boarding groups

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 December 2010, 07:31