We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Edinburgh - Houston

Edinburgh, Scotland
Level Contributor
2,434 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Edinburgh - Houston

Daughter(21) travelling from Edinburgh to Houston at the end of July and returning mid August. Want to avoid CDG (horrible place) and not keen on BA (reliability) at the moment. Best other option seems to be with KLM via Schipol. Definitely prefer the connection to be this side of the Atlantic. Anyone got any other suggestions given the fairly short time we have to book and that we don't want to spend much more than £750-£800 on the flight. Thanks.

Level Contributor
5,896 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Edinburgh - Houston

You tried Lufthansa yet? However, they use BMI/Continental connecting in LHR.

Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
for Air Travel, Business Travel
Level Contributor
9,787 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Edinburgh - Houston

Direct to Houston options are:

Continental means using a connecting airline, hopefully a codeshare via AMS, LHR, CDG, or FRA.

BA out of LHR

Air France out of CDG

KLM from AMS

and Lufthansa from FRA.

I'm not sure why the concern over a North american transfer. I see prices for EDI-EWR-IAH running as cheap as £700 including tax.. KLM and LH show flights considerably more expensive if the object is to avoid CDG.

BA is reliable. They have run most of their flights as scheduled through the labour difficulties. Their lowest price around that time seems to be about 720 including taxes.

Edinburgh, Scotland
Level Contributor
2,434 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Edinburgh - Houston

That £700 EDI-EWR-IAH is interesting even if it means a change at EWR. Where did you see that Geo? I looked on the Continental website and the cheapest I could see for 7/26 - 8/16 was £893. Do I need to pick other dates perhaps? As far as connection times are concerned it gave 1hr40mins,2hrs45mins or 4hrs10mins. I assume the second would probably be ok and the third comfortable? 7hrs+ available as well but that seems unnecessary. Thanks for the help.

Scotland
Level Contributor
1,332 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Edinburgh - Houston

Geo - BA are fairly reliably running their longhaul services just now, but domestic services (which OP would need to get to LHR) are always the first casualties in any BA difficulties.

Bingley, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
33,166 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Edinburgh - Houston

I must be going gaga in my dotage. Looking at the George Bush Intercontinental Airport website I can't find anywhere where it tells you where you can fly to

Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
for Air Travel, Business Travel
Level Contributor
9,787 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Edinburgh - Houston

"Where did you see that Geo? I looked on the Continental website and the cheapest I could see for 7/26 - 8/16 was £893."

I guessed 7/28-8/16 as your dates. It was on the US CO website ( I did the conversion). When I pretend I am in the UK I get £787. Flying on the 26th is more expensive than flying on the 28th. Click the +- 3 day box when you search. For the BA quote, I was on the UK BA site.

During the recent labour difficulties, BA operated over 70% of its flights. While the majority of the cancelled flights were short-haul, you'd have to be betting on continued strike action that would extend through July-Aug to infer unreliability. That being said, *any* connection on that side of the Atlantic would be requiring a very early morning initial connecting flight as all but one flight to IAH leaves before noon. Most are well prior to that time.

Early morning connecting flights without back-up is not my preferred way.

Edinburgh, Scotland
Level Contributor
2,434 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Edinburgh - Houston

Thanks for those suggestions Geo. Have booked her on BA as due to timescale we were running out of options at a semi-reasonable cost. Flight £730 plus £84 for annual worldwide insurance(single trip would have been over £100??) So that is DDs 21st birthday worked out!!

8. Re: Edinburgh - Houston

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 December 2010, 06:19