We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Virgin Atlantic or Thomas Cook?

High Wycombe
Level Contributor
393 posts
38 reviews
Save Topic
Virgin Atlantic or Thomas Cook?

Hi,

Just looking at packages to Florida, and have realised that Thomas Cook have flights exceptionally cheaper than Virgin?

I would really appreciate if anyone could tell me which one is more comfortable and generally better, or share their recent experiances?

It's my first time going longhaul and I'd just like to make it as good an experiance as possible. I don't mind going with Thomas Cook, unless Virgin is just more comfortable generally, or unless Thomas Cook is cheap and cheerful.

Thanks!

Manchester
Level Contributor
308 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Virgin Atlantic or Thomas Cook?

Hi,

Virgin economy is okay, dont have high expectations of the food though, never had a delayed flight with Virgin.

I've never flown Thomas Cook but know several people that have and they always seem to have delays - my friend works at Manchester airport and told me that they are one of the worst airlines for delays.

My personal choice would be Virgin or BA if you'd risk them!

Lancashire, United...
Destination Expert
for Playa Blanca
Level Contributor
36,243 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Virgin Atlantic or Thomas Cook?

Thos Cook have better legroom in economy than Virgin if that is important to you.

I have flown Thos Cook but they wouldn't be my first choice. I have had delays with them but no more than with Thomsons.

N.Wales UK
Destination Expert
for Costa Teguise
Level Contributor
9,396 posts
197 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Virgin Atlantic or Thomas Cook?

I have flown with TC several times and honestly can't remember having any delays (except the time we had to stay an extra night in Vegas........but who's going to complain about that when you get to stay another night and put into a hotel too and that was only because our plane had been sent to Mexico to pick up passengers that had been stuck in a hurricane)...

I have read lots of bad reviews about TC over the years but personally I've never had any problems with them. I've never flown with Virgin so I can't say which of the two is better!

Scotland
Level Contributor
1,332 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Virgin Atlantic or Thomas Cook?

Longhaul Y with any airline is not going to be particularly comfortable, and that includes VS. If, as you say, TCX is "exceptionally cheaper", then I would be tempted to go with them - as the difference in service is not exceptional (really not much more difference than that you pay for drinks on TCX).

Check out luggage allowances before you book, though, if that's important to you. Also bear in mind that TCX are likely to fly into SFB, whereas VS fly into MCO. The Orlando forum can give you more info on these, but if you are wanting to go into Orlando itself, then you will pretty much need to pick up a hire car on arrival at SFB (means driving tired and not being able to have a drink on th flight), whereas from MCO you could get a taxi for a reasonable amount.

Edited: 12 June 2010, 08:33
Stanford-Le-Hope...
Level Contributor
115 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Virgin Atlantic or Thomas Cook?

Hi,

If you check out my post "Thomas Cook Airlines" we have discussed on there about the entertianment etc on flights. Sadly as stated in this, is a reply that on some long haul flights they have been using narrow bodied aircraft and they have no entertianment.

IMHO i would go Virgin all the way they are still my fav long haul carrier, entertianment and plentiful food sells it to me. i used to swear by TC but only beacuse they are cheaper, now though its anther story, i prefer comfort

L:)

Lancashire, United...
Destination Expert
for Playa Blanca
Level Contributor
36,243 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Virgin Atlantic or Thomas Cook?

I have not heard any confirmed remarks about narrow bodied aircraft being used on longhaul flights. The fact that apart from the 757 (etops) that they use on some Canadian routes the narrow bodied planes do not have the range to do longhaul flights. Even the 757 (etops) have inflght ent although not seat back.

scotland
Level Contributor
30 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Virgin Atlantic or Thomas Cook?

we flew out to cuba last month with TC and returned to UK with VIRGIN - with virgin winning the contest for me if i had to compare. Service was excellent, ife was great, food was good, drinks were free, you get your comfort pack with socks, toothbrush, pillow, blanket etc, seat back tv, comfy leather seats, so for me given the choice i would definitely go with virgin again before touching tc.

Lancashire, United...
Destination Expert
for Playa Blanca
Level Contributor
36,243 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Virgin Atlantic or Thomas Cook?

If Thomson do away with their premium cabin we will certainly be booking with Virgin even though the Premium Economy upgrade is far more expensive. No point if not upgrading as leg room is less than TC and Thomson in economy.

colchester
Level Contributor
1,465 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Virgin Atlantic or Thomas Cook?

Perth 99,

were the 'comfy leather seats' in economy?

we're due to fly to havana with virgin in october and i'm now getting concerned about the flight/seat/pitch etc. travelling ex LGW.

Jaycine

10. Re: Virgin Atlantic or Thomas Cook?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 February 2011, 05:16