We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

ryanair

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
3,408 posts
139 reviews
Save Topic
ryanair

Ryanair i think are really getting away with too much. Apart from their add on gimmicks they seem to treat people like dirt. Have just read in scotland people were kept waiting on the runway at prestwick for about six hours yesterday.Due to a french air traffic strike they were waiting for a slot to fly to spain. not ryanairs fault i agree but the way they treated people was.The people were kept on the plane without water and food in the heat not allowed off the aircraft it was like a sauna according to passengers.The crew said they could not serve water and food etc but water etc were sent for them.somebody phoned the police how bought water and other food for passengers.i know most people buy water etc at the airport quite rightly not wanting to pay the expensive prices this company charges.However if you are kept on an aircraft for six hours you would expect an airline to at least supply water . i hope the caa looks into this but i wont hold my breath.So my advice to people like i do avoid this airline and use a better one if available if you have to travel with this airline beware.

Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
32,981 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: ryanair

…bbc.co.uk/1/…10409315.stm

This is the story. I wonder if my brother was on that flight? He's always raving about how much he saves with Ryanair..

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
40,048 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: ryanair

…bbc.co.uk/2/…10409315.stm

I guess this is what you mean. Cudos to the cops who brough them water and I agree that not even selling pax food and water is ridiculous. No wonder the passengers were revolting after six hours cramped into a Ryanair seat. What about the folks who had kids with them (ok I know the schools don't break up until the end of next week but still)?

I guess I know why they were not allowed off as the captain was probably on a few minutes notice all that time for a take off slot and they did not want to take trolleys out which would have made them miss their slot but you would think that considering the circumstances and that the cost price of their bottled water is about 10p they would have given them out free.

If you are sat in the terminal for more than four hours delayed then you are entitled to a meal voucher at least.

So I have to agree that treating people like this is pretty inhumane. I bet the crew didn't go thirsty. It does seem that French ATC goes on strike every year. They need to sort themselves out.

South Pole
Level Contributor
15,381 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: ryanair

this sort of thing seems to be getting out of hand.

here's another 'kidnap' story from the usa yesterday.

smh.com.au/travel/travel-news/threat-to-arre…

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
338 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: ryanair

>>If you are sat in the terminal for more than four hours delayed then you are entitled to a meal voucher at least.

The passenger is entitled to free refreshments after 3 hours on this length of flight delay no matter whether in the terminal or on the ground waiting to take off. The very least the airline should have done was to provide bottled water under the 'Right to Care' Article 9 of EC 261/2004.

Edited: 25 June 2010, 11:59
Broadstairs, United...
Level Contributor
199 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: ryanair

Atrocious! The pax should have revolted and taken the bar trolleys by an attack!

Travelling The World
Destination Expert
for Alghero, Melton Mowbray, Elora
Level Contributor
15,325 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: ryanair

> The passenger is entitled to free refreshments after 3 hours on this length of flight delay no matter whether in the terminal or on the ground waiting to take off.

Indeed. But this scenario does raise an interesting question. Ryanair is a BOB airline so pax would have the opportunity to spend their vouchers on board. But what about people stuck on the ground on an aircraft operated by an airline that doesn't sell its food and drink? Passengers are entitled to the vouchers, but how are they supposed to spend them?

Edited: 25 June 2010, 14:54
Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
338 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: ryanair

I don't see what the relevance of vouchers has to the situation experienced by the passengers stuck on the Ryanair aircraft yesterday! Or come to think of it in any situation involving the Right to Care.

Vouchers are not mentioned in Article 9 just that refreshments/meals should be offered to passengers free of charge..........

Travelling The World
Destination Expert
for Alghero, Melton Mowbray, Elora
Level Contributor
15,325 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: ryanair

> Vouchers are not mentioned in Article 9 just that refreshments/meals should be offered to passengers free of charge..........

Yes, but that is usually done in the form of vouchers. And the fact is that Ryanair often does not have enough food on board for all the passengers. And an airline that does provide inflight meals free of charge could well provide those meals while they sit on the ground but there is no guarantee that they would be able to source further meals for the flight. Then what?

The question is, how do the airlines fulfill their duty to provide food in these circumstances? It's not as straightforward as it seems, although of course it should be done.

Level Contributor
5,896 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: ryanair

Okay, so if they go 'by the book' and truly needed to furnish vouchers which they couldn't then the passengers ought to have had the right to leave the plane. Besides the six hours were over the maximum limit the passengers should have held 'hostage' on the tarmac.

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
338 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: ryanair

>>The question is, how do the airlines fulfill their duty to provide food in these circumstances? It's not as straightforward as it seems, although of course it should be done.

The only question here is why did Ryanair not fulfil their legal obligations to 'refresh' their passengers?

A question that one hopes at least one of the affected passengers may think of asking the AUC, since there is now no other method of restitution.

Only the AUC via the CAA can now take action in this instance.