We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

British Airways- World Traveller Plus- Is it worth it?

High Wycombe
Level Contributor
393 posts
38 reviews
Save Topic
British Airways- World Traveller Plus- Is it worth it?

Hi,

I'm just wondering whether it is worth it to buy world traveller plus when me and my family with children fly to New York.

We didn't know whether it was worth it or not, and thought it may be a more comfortable journey if we used it, though I've read some bad reviews about it. Is it worth forking out the extra cash for it or is economy decent enough? We live in the UK so it'll be quite a long journey.

Thanks!

Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
32,981 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: British Airways- World Traveller Plus- Is it worth it?

It depends on what else you would do with the money?

It's a purely personal choice. On some flights I think its worth spending the extra for the legroom and smaller cabin; on others I don't.

If you want to arrive in better shape than if you'd travelled in economy, then, its probably worth it.

Sorry if this isn't helpful, but unless someone has identical travel and spending preferences to you, its fairly impossible to answer with any certainty.

What's the longest flight you've had before?

High Wycombe
Level Contributor
393 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: British Airways- World Traveller Plus- Is it worth it?

I have only been on a flight for about two or three hours, and the kids only one hour. Haven't been long haul before!

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
56,359 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: British Airways- World Traveller Plus- Is it worth it?

I certainly think so, but I don't have to buy air fares for anyone else but moi.

LHR-JFK is a shortish long haul service, about six and a half hours, so if that sounds dire then WT+ may be worth it to you. If you'll fly enough to collect a good number of EC Miles so that you may use them to upgrade WT+ fares to Club World fares then it might be worth it to you. If you'd rather spend the money elsewhere then it's not worth it to you.

Garden Bay, Canada
Destination Expert
for Air Travel, Business Travel
Level Contributor
9,797 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: British Airways- World Traveller Plus- Is it worth it?

As westbound is during the day, it makes little difference to me what class I'm in. On eastbound though, that's a different story. Comfort and space reign.

Level Contributor
5,896 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: British Airways- World Traveller Plus- Is it worth it?

We fly 10+ hours nonstop to LHR as we're located in California, and my child is adult now. Upgrading is costly for a family that's for sure. As the other poster advised, it's a personal decision. I don't know how old your children are, but when mine was 10 yrs. old it wasn't any problem flying that long haul distance.

Worthing, United...
Level Contributor
2,537 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: British Airways- World Traveller Plus- Is it worth it?

We flew Ba WT+ from LHR to Tampa, also paid the extra to choose our seats & we were very happy indeed. The cabin was small & quiet & felt better for it. The extra legroom was pretty good too. Service throughout was excellent. I'd choose WT+ every time if I could afford it.

Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
32,981 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: British Airways- World Traveller Plus- Is it worth it?

I think geomedic makes a good point. You could fly out in economy and back in WT+.

A lot depends on how well your kids cope, but a pleasant return flight might sweeten the long flight.

Certainly better doing that than flying in WT+ first and coming back in economy! :-(

UK
Level Contributor
49,560 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: British Airways- World Traveller Plus- Is it worth it?

<<s it worth forking out the extra cash for it .>

Depends. What is "the extra cash" ? That could be anywhere from £150 to £300 each way depending upon when you buy.

Then, whats that money worth to you?

I willing buy WT+ at 650+ for a similar journey (LHR-Toronto) when I could get the same flights for £350, OTOH I know there are posters here who have said they wouldn't pay £25 each way to upgrade.

There is also a lot of discussion, should you do it one way, as to which is the best. Some say daytime so you get the best out of it (my preference) , others say nighttime, so you get a decent nights sleep (I dont sleep well on night flights whatever the class so that makes no odds to me, but YMMV)

My suggestion is, try it in economy this time, you'll know then if you can bear it for future flights.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
3,880 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: British Airways- World Traveller Plus- Is it worth it?

my last 3 holidays to the UK have been in economy; the last time, we flew with Singapore Airlines who were fantastic, to put it mildly. However, when boarding at LHR for our return journey, when walking through business class I made the decision that never, ever was I flying long-haul in economy. I'm sure I must have drooled when I took a good look at the seats, legroom and general spaciousness of the cabin. I'll go economy for domestic flights (Melbourne, Adelaide, Brisbane - all less than 3 hours) but even if I was only going to Perth or Darwin, I think I'd give economy a miss (Sydney to Perth or Darwin is about 5 to 6 hours, give or take half an hour).

I know it's you that's got to decide whether the extra cost is worth it or not, but for my money (no pun intended), economy is the pits.

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Osaka
Level Contributor
55,429 posts
158 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: British Airways- World Traveller Plus- Is it worth it?

It's how much you value your money vs what you get that counts so only you can decide.

Biggest WT+ benefits:

-Significantly more legroom

-Less people in the cabin = quieter cabin in most cases

-Same meals as economy but you get to choose first so you never have to be stuck with something you don't like

-You get off the plane first so less people in line for immigration