I don't fly often so I need some help with this one.
When all of the lights go off in the cabin and I try to read with the little overhead light found above each seat, I get a headache. I was thinking about buying a really powerful (32 led or 145 lumen) headlamp.
Does anyone know if:
1. Other passengers will find this intolerably rude and want to kill me
2. This is okay; it is not that unusual, others do it all the time.
3. there is a better solution
4. I should just load a book on tape on an mp3 player or such.
5. If you know about headlamps, are they good at short distances (a nice cone of light for reading) or just for beaming into the distance).
I am serious, There are some great-looking headlamps on amazon for $20. One of the pleasures of flight is to be able to sit back and read, but the crew seems to shut off the cabin lights so quickly that this isn't possible (as I remember). We are flying Delta from NY to Zurich on an overnight flight. I want to enjoy the flight before I try to sleep.
Thanks in advance for your suggestions/input/advice.