We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Reading on a night flight

Irvine, California
Level Contributor
48 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Reading on a night flight

I don't fly often so I need some help with this one.

When all of the lights go off in the cabin and I try to read with the little overhead light found above each seat, I get a headache. I was thinking about buying a really powerful (32 led or 145 lumen) headlamp.

Does anyone know if:

1. Other passengers will find this intolerably rude and want to kill me

2. This is okay; it is not that unusual, others do it all the time.

3. there is a better solution

4. I should just load a book on tape on an mp3 player or such.

5. If you know about headlamps, are they good at short distances (a nice cone of light for reading) or just for beaming into the distance).

I am serious, There are some great-looking headlamps on amazon for $20. One of the pleasures of flight is to be able to sit back and read, but the crew seems to shut off the cabin lights so quickly that this isn't possible (as I remember). We are flying Delta from NY to Zurich on an overnight flight. I want to enjoy the flight before I try to sleep.

Thanks in advance for your suggestions/input/advice.

North Carolina
Level Contributor
2,056 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Reading on a night flight

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
10,857 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Reading on a night flight

I can't see you, and I want to kill you already for such a suggestion :) I have never, ever seen one of these on an airplane. Everytime you move your head, you are going to be moving this light around. This has the possibility of making another passenger very, very testy when the light shines in their eyes.

Not advised, unless you are into the dorky, coal miner look. Save such a thing for your camping trips.

Get yourself a clip on light for your book; they are sold in any bookstore.

Edited: 29 July 2010, 23:02
Mesa, Arizona
Level Contributor
9,998 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Reading on a night flight

Put a book on your ipod.

Buy a NOOK or Kindle

I think the clip-on lights might be a little to bright.

winnipeg
Level Contributor
1,303 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Reading on a night flight

As gracie boo has already mentioned, the clip-on book lights work great. I have one which cost under 20 dollars, brand name is itty bitty book light.

Illinois
Level Contributor
17,165 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Reading on a night flight

I would go with the ipod. That's what I usually do on flights. Many people read with the overhead light, and I would think a clip on book light would be ok, but not a headlamp. My Kindle (not the newest one) would need a book light too as it isn't backlit. The newest one might be though.

Irvine, California
Level Contributor
48 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Reading on a night flight

Thanks for the quick replies. I think I spot a trend here. I'll go for the book on the mp3 player angle and bring an ambien.

Mesa, Arizona
Level Contributor
9,998 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Reading on a night flight

How long is your flight. You really dont want to be taking sleeping pills if possible. Find the thread on DVT.

Irvine, California
Level Contributor
48 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Reading on a night flight

We originally start in LA at 11:30 am, but the night flight out of NY is a little over 8 hrs, leaving NY at 10 pm and arriving in Zurich at 12 noon. (All times local time). Doesn't it make sense to read and then sleep, even if sleeping pills are used? Also, what is the DVT thread please? Thanks.

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
10,857 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Reading on a night flight

Buy a NOOK or Kindle\

<<<<<<<<<<

You'll need a reading light for a Kindle; they aren't backlit, and that includes the new one; you can't read in the dark. IME, a clip on light is much less bright than the overhead, and the beam is really just on your book.

Edited: 29 July 2010, 23:59
Illinois
Level Contributor
17,165 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Reading on a night flight

There was a recent thread suggesting that sleeping pills increase the risk of DVT when flying. This is not meant to suggest that I agree with that conclusion. Any discussion of DVT risk, sleeping pills, and flying should be with your doctor. It is risky to get medical advice from an internet forum.