We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Aer Lingus or Ryanair?

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
214 posts
21 reviews
Save Topic
Aer Lingus or Ryanair?

The route I want to fly only seems to be serviced by Aer Lingus and Ryanair.

Flight is only an hour.

Which airline woud you choose and why?

I've heard lots of bad reviews of Ryanair ... but the flight is only one hour so does it not matter??

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
56,372 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Aer Lingus or Ryanair?

If I were travelling with more than hand baggage I would choose Aer Lingus. I'd also choose EI because the airline does not charge a fee to use a credt card to book a ticket, does not charge a fee to check in on line, and because EI allows pax to take a piece of hand baggage as well as a personal item on board rather than one piece of baggage - period.

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
40,053 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Aer Lingus or Ryanair?

Aer Lingus unless Ryanair are really a lot cheaper. Always felt happy on EI flights. always felt like cattle on Ryanair.

You also get an allocated seat unlike the scrum on Ryanair.

EI every time.

Haarlem, The...
Level Contributor
1,691 posts
307 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Aer Lingus or Ryanair?

I'd check the total price for both and book the cheapest one. I've flown with Ryan Air before and never had a problem.

County Donegal...
Level Contributor
2,116 posts
163 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Aer Lingus or Ryanair?

Aer Lingus do charge you a credit card/handling fee for flights that don't originate in the USA

Handling Fee

Charges as follows: €5 /£5 per person, per flight. Flights originating in the USA, Infant Bookings and Bookings using Visa Electron are not subject to the handling fee

UK
Level Contributor
49,560 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Aer Lingus or Ryanair?

<<but the flight is only one hour so does it not matter??>>

It would matter if, for example, you forgot or lost or damaged your boarding card, or as in one reported case, the ink was too faint, and RA charged you another £40. Each way. Per person.

6. Re: Aer Lingus or Ryanair?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 07 August 2010, 16:05
Bingley, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
33,240 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Aer Lingus or Ryanair?

<<< but the flight is only one hour so does it not matter?? >>>

If decided your hand luggage was too big / too heavy and charged you £30 to check it or your checked luggage was too heavy and they charged you £20 per kg for the excess or you made a mess of the booking and charged you £100 to change Gillet to Gallet...

Edited: 07 August 2010, 08:32
kent
Destination Expert
for Kent, Solo Travel
Level Contributor
13,149 posts
134 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Aer Lingus or Ryanair?

Have used both from Gatwick to Dublin, AL much better in terms of reliability, costs and service. If you are going to use the same route frequently, you can join Aer Lingus frequent flyer programme, get emails on future seat sales.

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
2,490 posts
188 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Aer Lingus or Ryanair?

Aer Lingus - no doubt,,,,

Island of Malta...
Destination Expert
for Malta, Sliema
Level Contributor
4,684 posts