We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Why flying with children can spoil a dream trip

Travelling The World
Destination Expert
for Alghero
Level Contributor
14,792 posts
70 reviews
Save Topic
Why flying with children can spoil a dream trip

The BBC is featuring this issue today. Interesting to see how different airlines handle this.

But perhaps this sub-head sums it all up:

Pack earplugs

…bbc.co.uk/1/…8885930.stm

Bristol, United...
Level Contributor
3,412 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Why flying with children can spoil a dream trip

'made her ears bleed and caused her to go deaf' - yikes, must have been one hell of a scream :( I knew there was a good reason why I didn't have any! It is a moot point; sometimes I feel sorry for the kids (especially tiny babies who must find it a terrifying experience, poor mites) & other times I want to grab them and tan their hides.

UK
Level Contributor
49,561 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Why flying with children can spoil a dream trip

Posted previously in this forum here tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g1-i10702-k38002…

Travelling The World
Destination Expert
for Alghero
Level Contributor
14,792 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Why flying with children can spoil a dream trip

> Posted previously in this forum...

Um, did you read the article Joe? This is a complelely different article that mentions the Qantas incident as an example of an extreme situation but what this article is about is how different airlines handle children travellers and what passengers can do themselves.

North Carolina
Level Contributor
1,906 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Why flying with children can spoil a dream trip

Yes, bringing earplugs on board is always a good idea for a long flight. Noisy, disruptive children are annoying but I've never felt physically threatened by them.

I worry more about drunks and about adults sitting behind me who get nasty when I recline my seat.

Altrincham, United...
Level Contributor
998 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Why flying with children can spoil a dream trip

On an overnight flight from Sydney to Honolulu a young child was causing chaos by running around.

"After about 30 minutes a stewardess approached the child and was overheard saying - go ask your Mummy if you can go outside and play. "

"The child returned to her parents and asked them the question. No more was heard from the child for the rest of the flight."

I am aware that it might not be PC.....but that quote made me laugh!

atlanta
Level Contributor
4,194 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Why flying with children can spoil a dream trip

I travel with noise cancelling headphones...

Not so much for the kids, but for the people who think that everyone on the plane REALLY believes the line of "something" they are passing out about how important they are, how much they make, thier investments, their big deal etc...

(My expereince is that those who REALLY are that successful are then one's NOT telling everyone within three rows)

I have had a lot of screaming kids too, but....

Detroit, MI
Destination Expert
for Detroit, Travel Gadgets and Gear
Level Contributor
6,739 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Why flying with children can spoil a dream trip

"Spoil a dream trip"? A bit overly dramatic. Not counting the "deaf" woman, the worst example was someone with a headache.

colchester
Level Contributor
1,465 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Why flying with children can spoil a dream trip

According to the daily mail 10 days ago, the woman in question was wearing hearing aides at check in.

Much as I prefer the seen and not heard version of child rearing that my parents believed in, I can't help feeling sorry for the airline!

Jaycine

Mesa, Arizona
Level Contributor
9,998 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Why flying with children can spoil a dream trip

While I sympathize with people within ear-shot of a screaming child, sometimes it just cant be helped. What I DO mind is when a parent refuses to take control of the child. I will, when i can, offer assistance.

Years ago I was either flying TO or From Germany (my brother was in the army in Oberammergau). A woman was traveling with a small infant (under 1 year). I offered to hold the baby whenever she needed to go to the bathroom. Small effort on my part..........I love children.....that I can return to their parents!!!

London, United...
Level Contributor
3 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Why flying with children can spoil a dream trip

This is so true I watched and it felt like being on that plane with those kids! I even uploaded it on youtube for those who haven't http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=snOv5iwip7o