We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Not sure what to do - any opions appreciated.

Plattsburgh, New...
3 posts
Save Topic
Not sure what to do - any opions appreciated.

Likely going to London in Nov (5-8, from Burlington, VT), won’t know for sure until early Sept. I have ~45,000 US Airways dividend miles, so would need to buy 13,000 - 15,000 miles, i.e. around $400. I’ve checked, and the dates I’m looking at are available for reward travel. Cheapest price I could find on-line, right now, is $627 (from Boston to London). I’m also planning a trip to Dublin Ireland next Apr-May.

So the question is: what should I do here? Pay for the the ticket to London myself and save the miles for the trip to Ireland (and try to earn the extra miles needed by then for that flight) or buy the extra miles and use it for London, and just keep looking for a good deal for the Ireland trip.

Any opinion(s) appreciated.

Scotland
Level Contributor
1,332 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Not sure what to do - any opions appreciated.

Paying around 2/3 of the price of a ticket to buy roughly 1/3 of the miles required for a redemption on the first trip, and then having to buy 100% of of the second ticket doesn't strike me as a particularly good deal.

Presumably a 100% paid for ticket on your first journey would give you if not all, then most of the miles needed for your second?

Bear in mind that fuel surcharges and taxes may mean that even on a redemption fare you pay several hundred dollars - redeeming in Y is generally considered a poor use of miles.

atlanta
Level Contributor
4,025 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Not sure what to do - any opions appreciated.

I would buy the ticket. The minimal savings don't seem worth it!

DC
Level Contributor
2,001 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Not sure what to do - any opions appreciated.

You choice is $627 vs. $400 plus 45,000 miles. If you value the miles at $.01 (reasonable, since 60,000 miles gets you a $627 ticket), Option 2 costs $850.

Buy the ticket and accumulate the miles for your next trip.

kentucky
Level Contributor
5,712 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Not sure what to do - any opions appreciated.

yep---I agree--fly $ and amass miles

OR

buy upgradeable ticket (if avail at that price??) and use miles to go to business class (which earns miles at higher ratio)

Nashville, TN
Level Contributor
5,646 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Not sure what to do - any opions appreciated.

If you do decide on the November trip, I'd go ahead and buy the ticket. The trip alone would go a long way towards the miles needed for the trip to Ireland.

There are a couple other items that may help.

***Keep an eye on the US Air frequent flyer program. On several occasions they have run a special where you can buy miles and get a 100% bonus(you might want to sign uo for their e-mails so you get notified of all specials).

***US Air runs an off peak sale to Europe from about the middle of January to the end of February where you only need 35,000 miles round trip.

UK
Level Contributor
49,561 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Not sure what to do - any opions appreciated.

Just voting with everyone else, its a no-brainer, buy the tickets for Boston-London,then use the existing miles plus additional miles for that, for your next flight.

7. Re: Not sure what to do - any opions appreciated.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 February 2011, 08:59