We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Jet Blue FA uses Emergency Slide for himself

Maui, Hawaii
Level Contributor
1,148 posts
21 reviews
Save Topic
Jet Blue FA uses Emergency Slide for himself

…yahoo.com/s/yblog_upshot/20100809/od_yblog_…

I copied and pasted the article but TA removed it for some reason

Here is a link to it

Nashville, TN
Level Contributor
5,697 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Jet Blue FA uses Emergency Slide for himself

Not defending the FA, he definitely lost his cool and could have handled it better. However, it could all have been averted if the passenger had just followed the rules and remained in his seat.

Edited: 10 August 2010, 02:00
Bangkok
Destination Expert
for Bangkok, Air Travel, Thailand
Level Contributor
15,457 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Jet Blue FA uses Emergency Slide for himself

Hi,

I take a somewhat tougher view.. Sure, the passenger's reported actions were the genesis to the situation, and he could have just stopped and complied and it probably would have ended right then and there...

However, in the end, the FA is the professional and "loosing your cool" just isn't acceptable.. There are other ways to handle that.. You have your fellow FA's to fall back on, etc.. Yes, it's stressful, but there are almost always alternate solutions-- you just have to be in control enough to know how to find them and use them.

I always hate it when I get reports and have to investigate someone off my crew for being rude, abusive or otherwise.. Sure, I'll often hear "but s/he started it" as the defense.. but I'll respond with "OK, let's say s/he was wrong. But how is it that you allowed him/her to suck you into this situation?"

In this case it's doubly bad as there are some real 'hard' costs in play.. A new slide pack is several thousands of dollars-- and this assumes the now-blown slide wasn't damaged during deployment and can be certified and re-packed for future use.. If not, the costs can easily exceed $15,000 or more for a new slide pack.. plus you have the maintenance time (labor) and possible out-of-service time for the aircraft... It adds up really, really quick..

Travel Safe,

Edited: 10 August 2010, 02:23
3. Re: Jet Blue FA uses Emergency Slide for himself

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 10 August 2010, 10:35
NYC/Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
35,081 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Jet Blue FA uses Emergency Slide for himself

643--you write a whole paragraph describing a difficult flight but unless I am missing something--none of this was happening AND even if it was--a FA is supposed to be a professional and not loose his/her cool.

Passenger safety and how to act in an emergency is the prime job of a FA. Serving meals etc. is extra ( although required) What if this was an emergency? Would it be acceptable for a FA to have a temper tandrum because a passenger was rude. ( I am NOT saying rude is acceptable--it isn't) If the FA was so upset with Jet Blue, his job or outside things then he should have considered calling in sick and not working that day. If the job is too much--then it is time to retire!

Travelling The World
Destination Expert
for Alghero
Level Contributor
14,412 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Jet Blue FA uses Emergency Slide for himself

> TA removed it for some reason

Probably copyright. It's OK to paste a link and a summary but not a whole article without permission.

I can certainly sympathise with the FA though. He was taking out 20-plus years frustrations. He probably encountered idiots like that every day. But I agree his actions were not appropriate.

Edited: 10 August 2010, 10:06
County Donegal...
Level Contributor
2,113 posts
150 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Jet Blue FA uses Emergency Slide for himself

This link adds a few bits to the story,that the FA was hit on the head by the baggage,that (for some reason)he grabbed a beer before hitting the chute & that he ran to the parking lot.

…yahoo.com/18/20100809/tod-raging-us-flight-…

Mesa, Arizona
Level Contributor
9,998 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Jet Blue FA uses Emergency Slide for himself

just because of one incident, he's now ruined his career. Had the passenger REMAINED IN HIS SEAT, this wouldnt have happened....this time!

I dont understand why, the minute wheels touch down, the passenger thinks that's a signal to stand up. Next time you fly, and wheels touch down, LISTEN FOR THE SEATBELT CLICKS.

Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
32,634 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Jet Blue FA uses Emergency Slide for himself

Yes - why do people stand up the minute the plane taxis? Do they think they'll be left behind?; is there a cab meeting them with the meter running? Is there kudos to be first to be ready to leave the plane?

The sooner the airlines start using the same automatic restraints as roller-coasters,the better.

"Welcome to Brownsville...the time here is 3pm and the temperature is 20 degrees. Thank you for flying with Safety AIr, and we hope we'll see you again some time. Now, I'll just release the safety harnesses for those of you in rows 1- 20....."

Edited: 10 August 2010, 13:35
Bangkok
Destination Expert
for Bangkok, Air Travel, Thailand
Level Contributor
15,457 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Jet Blue FA uses Emergency Slide for himself

Hi,

I totally agree that in the end had the passenger simply stopped, the strong likelihood is that this never would have happened.. But, it still doesn't excuse, condone or otherwise negate the fact that the FA owns his actions-- and any repercussions that stem from it..

I will also say that while very, very rare, things can happen that make it a blessing that you were buckled in even while at taxi or speed... So from a safety directive standpoint he was absolutely correct in his motive to get the passenger to remain seated and stow the bag..

I've had a situation where we had turned off the ramp area and onto the J-line for receipt and were just under marshaller control when a ground service vehicle tried to race in front of us and crossed into the "envelope" or the restricted area where the aircraft parks... As a result we had to stop the aircraft very, very quickly-- like "on a dime"-- and as a result we had eight passengers who suffered minor back, neck, facial, arm or wrist injuries from being "thrown" and striking either the forward seat-back or the bulkhead divider as they were not belted in their seats.

Their ERJ190's are only configured for 2X2 and with 100 cabin seats.. so I just can't see deplaning being all that long of a time process.. Granted it's a narrow-body aircraft-- so only one aisle and a single forward boarding door.. but still, with 100+/- it really couldn't/shouldn't be all that long..

Travel Safe,

Edited: 10 August 2010, 14:03
10. Re: Jet Blue FA uses Emergency Slide for himself

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 11 August 2010, 11:35