We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

BAA Strike Ballot

london
Level Contributor
8,928 posts
42 reviews
BAA Strike Ballot

According to Sky News, the ballot amongst BAA workers is to be conducted today. If the result is a call for strike action there is a distinct possibility it will take place over the August Bank Holiday weekend and could effectively close Heathrow and five other regional airports.

Gatwick and Manchester Airports would not be affected

Cockermouth, United...
Destination Expert
for Playa de las Americas, Cockermouth
Level Contributor
2,038 posts
33 reviews
1. Re: BAA Strike Ballot

phew...fly from Manchester next month..

hope it doesnt go ahead for all the other ppl it will affect

Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
32,766 posts
75 reviews
2. Re: BAA Strike Ballot

Given the union, Unite (sic), has a pretty poor record of conducting strike ballots, I wouldn't be surprised if this one is declared null and void.

They might just have used some old ballot papers and changed the "BA" to "BAA".......

Travelling The World
Destination Expert
for Alghero
Level Contributor
14,819 posts
70 reviews
3. Re: BAA Strike Ballot

I can just see them in a smoke-filled room hand-writing the extra A on thousands of ballots!

Ingatestone, United...
Level Contributor
244 posts
107 reviews
4. Re: BAA Strike Ballot

A press conference is being held today at 4pm GMT to announce the outcome of the ballot, according to Unite's website.

Let's hope the news is good for us travellers!

London
Destination Expert
for Thirassia, Fira
Level Contributor
13,963 posts
16 reviews
5. Re: BAA Strike Ballot

Nope - not good news for travellers.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-10954851

london
Level Contributor
8,928 posts
42 reviews
6. Re: BAA Strike Ballot

the vote has gone in favour of strike action. Aug 28th looks like a definite possibility

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-10954851

sorry Kenny - didnt see your post

Edited: 12 August 2010, 16:22
Ingatestone, United...
Level Contributor
244 posts
107 reviews
7. Re: BAA Strike Ballot

"Unite will be meeting with its key representatives on Monday 16th August to decide what form of industrial action union members will take".

I think they have to give a week's notice, so the earliest any strikes could happen will be 23rd August.... just in time for my trip to Alaska on 27th

:o(

london
Level Contributor
8,928 posts
42 reviews
8. Re: BAA Strike Ballot

Is there any possibility that the strike could spread to other airports outside of the BAA group ?

Ingatestone, United...
Level Contributor
244 posts
107 reviews
9. Re: BAA Strike Ballot

No, I don't believe so; although if the strike goes ahead, all other non BAA-airports will be extra-busy!

Kuala Lumpur...
Level Contributor
17 posts
20 reviews
10. Re: BAA Strike Ballot

Steve,

No only the BAA airports would be closed (though as mentioned others would likely be extra busy especially as people try to use alternative airports) . Hopefully it wont go ahead due to a legal loophole as per the recent BA stirkes...

However if it does the "regional" airports you are referring to that would be affected are:

London Heathrow

London Stansted

Glasgow

Edinburgh

Aberdeen

Southampton

Check BAA.com for further info