We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

A new Qantas?

Russell, Kansas
Level Contributor
586 posts
66 reviews
Save Topic
A new Qantas?

My daughter and I got back from our holiday in New Zealand and Australia. I had heard some negative things about Qantas and will admit that I was nervous about using them. In the end, they had the best time options and price for us so we decided we would take the risk and book. And I am so glad that we did!

The service was very, very good! The planes were very clean and looked almost brand new. I cannot think of one negative thing to say about them. Even the food was decent enough, though I really don't feel hungry whilst flying. Little things like handing out a menu card and a bag with bottled water and snacks were nice touches. All of the flight attendants were nice, with a genuine smile on their face and did seem to care about our comfort. They asked my daughter if she wanted to sit a row back as it was empty and we both got our entire row to ourselves. Very nice to sleep that way! Too bad the trip back was packed full and no chance of this again.

I'm not sure if this is just because it was an international flight or what. Perhaps their domestic service is what causes the poohey comments. But I can say we were happy!

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
9,128 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: A new Qantas?

For some reasons the Aussies and Brits seem to love to bash Qantas and BA respectively and most of the time it is completely unjust. Not spending much of my time on the other side of the world I haven't flown QF a great deal but they're my number 1 airline on the TPAC routes down to Australia.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
3,832 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: A new Qantas?

Well, I'm one of the Aussies who wouldn't *choose* to fly Qantas. If they were considerably cheaper than say SQ, I might give them some consideration, but they're not. Internationally, I've found their FAs faces would crack if they smiled - not that you get to see one too often, so at least you don't have to look at Little Miss Grumpy all that often ....

My last flight (domestically) with them was only a few weeks ago (only because I was redeeming Cathay points and had to use Qantas) and that flight just confirmed my generally negative feelings. I don't HATE them, but there are so many better options. My last flight to the UK was with SQ and they were almost perfect in every respect. Comparing SQ and QF is like comparing chalk and cheese.

I will give credit to Qantas for handing out the snack bags with a bottle of water, a piece of fruit, some chocolate, etc (and they did seem to do this relatively often on long haul flights) and it'd be good if other airlines did the same, but I wouldn't choose to fly QF instead of say SQ because of a bottle of water.

Re food, Qantas was admittedly better than Cathay, but again SQ was so far out in front in that regard it might have been a one-horse race.

In most things, I advocate "buy Australian" (eg I refuse to buy oranges from America when they're in the supermarket, especially when our orange-growers often have to plow their fruit into the ground ... but I digress) but QF's service doesn't, IMHO, warrant patriotism, unfortunately.

Edited: 27 August 2010, 21:52
Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
12,530 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: A new Qantas?

Yeah well kansasbeck if you are used to flying with US based airlines you would find QF fantastic- BUT here downunder we are more likely to compare it with the Asian airlines such as SQ or Malaysian and mostly find it lacking - and also often QF is more expensive as well.

Sunshine Coast...
Level Contributor
2,711 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: A new Qantas?

nozzie - you've got it! Compared to US based airlines anything would be fantastic and conversly compared to the Asian based airlines everyone else seems a bit ordinary.

I happen to like Qantas - they fly me from A to B, mostly on time, my luggage has only missed a connection twice and was delivered to my door a few hours later, the food is edible (just), the IFE ususally works, and the FAs often seem to smile at me! I don't know maybe they think I look funny...

Unfortunately my experiences in the US involve delays, cancellations, lost luggage (I do understand why Americans seemed obsessed by carry on!) NO food or entertainment and the less said the better about the FAs!

But nothing compares to SQ.

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
12,530 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: A new Qantas?

<<<the less said the better about the FAs! >>

LOL - I may be slightly ageist - but being almost on the wrong side of 60 myself - I dont care. Last October we flew from LAX to Cabo san Lucas Mexico with united. As we boarded OH and I looked at each other and laughed. The FA at the door of the plane was 75yo if she was a day - and brother did she look old We did also wonder about her fitness in case of a mishap!

Russell, Kansas
Level Contributor
586 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: A new Qantas?

Ok, I see what you mean and what you guys are comparing Qantas to, so I do understand better now. But I still chalk my experience up as a good one. I've only ever flown on BA, never a domestic line and I tell ya, the flight from Denver to LA on AA was hideous! My cat box is cleaner than that plane was and the FAs, well, they didn't seem to be very happy. I kept telling myself, it's only 3 hours.

Worse yet was my huge mistake using Aeolineas Argentinas to get from Aukland to Sydney. Main reason in choosing was they had the best time for us, but if I would have known they were going to delay us 3 different times, each time citing a different problem I would have splashed out more money for Emirates. In the end, our supposed to be early flight finally left just 1 hour before the Emirates flilght did. I will never be that ignorant again!

I read in the newspaper whilst I was over there that Qantas was seeing an uptick in passengers from the US and was investing a bit more because of it. I think maybe that is why we had the experience that we did.

Edited: 29 August 2010, 05:19
Pacifica, California
Destination Expert
for Pacifica
Level Contributor
8,742 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: A new Qantas?

"...In most things, I advocate 'buy Australian' (eg I refuse to buy oranges from America when they're in the supermarket, especially when our orange-growers often have to plow their fruit into the ground"

That does it. I'm boycotting kangaroo-tail burgers starting today.

It has nothing to do with flying, but I'd imagine that when oranges are out of season in Australia, the supermarkets down there offer American oranges. When it's not orange growing season here in the US, the local supermarkets are stocked with Australian oranges.

Edited: 29 August 2010, 05:37
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
3,832 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: A new Qantas?

My analogy does have nothing to do with flying, but I was trying to explain that in most things, if at all possible, I try to patronise my own country's products, rather than foreign entities. I still stick to my guns and flatly refuse to buy foreign fruit (even tinned fruit or frozen vegies - it they're not grown here, I won't buy them) and if something's out of season, so be it - we go without it until it is in season here :-) However, when it comes to airlines, Qantas doesn't deserve our custom, not when their service is so far beneath the Asian airlines (especially SQ).

Don't worry about not eating the roo tail - I don't eat roo either :-) Roo is dog food as far as I'm concerned - when I was a child, the only dog meat in pet shops was roo or horse and neither will ever pass my lips ;-)

Edited: 29 August 2010, 05:49
Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
12,530 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: A new Qantas?

Hmm - well actually oranges are always in season in Australia as our farmers grow both winter and summer ripening fruit and generally I go to the fresh produce markets and buy whatever is in season. And I almost never buy imported fresh fruit and vegetables and definitely never imported meat. In fact where we buy our fresh pork they have started labelling it with the actual farm from which it is sourced!!

However I have recently changed my mind about what i buy in cans etc( though we do buy very little). Having traveled a lot I realise that farmers everywhere are struggling to make a buck -so if Spanish olive oil or canned Italian tomatoes are cheap on our supermarket shelves - it is because there are problems selling them in Europe - and if they are cheaper than the Australian brands I do buy them. Example this week Italian canned tomatoes 49 cents per can , Australian grown and canned tomatoes >$1.40 or Spanish Olive oil $24.00 for 4 litres, Australian around $24.00 for 2 litres.

london
Level Contributor
8,928 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: A new Qantas?

<<Roo is dog food as far as I'm concerned - when I was a child, the only dog meat in pet shops was roo or horse and neither will ever pass my lips ;-)>>

Is that the dog food variety that is advertised with Added Bounce ?

While I think about that, I will go and have my McDonalds !