We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

13-Month Airline Ticket

Cincinnati, Ohio
3 posts
Save Topic
13-Month Airline Ticket

I will be traveling from the U.S. to Spain for a 13-month period as a student. I need to get a roundtrip airline ticket. It seems that airllines sell only tickets that are good for 12 months. I have heard suggestions that I purchase a roundtrip now with an early return, and throw the return away, and do that a second time 8 months from now. That's an expensive option. Even more expensive is purchasing 2 one-way tickets. Does anyone have other ideas?

Berkeley, CA
Level Contributor
609 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 13-Month Airline Ticket

My daughter left for a year in Spain at university this August. Not knowing when she would actually want to return, she got a one way ticket from STA travel which serves the student market. They apparently have arrangements with airlines to offer these tickets to students. She flew American from SFO to MAD. The ticket was only slightly more than half a round trip would have been. Google STA Travel and give them a try.

australia
Level Contributor
2,551 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 13-Month Airline Ticket

You can buy an open return and once you are away for 1 month book the return straight away. You may need to do a dummy return date

Provided you make the change before the expiry date of the ticket you won't have problems The big carriers normally only charge you a $100 fee change some also a fare difference that's is why you do it as soon as possible.

Check the change and cancellation fare conditions before you buy though to make sure the fare type you bought will allow you to do this.

Nannup, Australia
Level Contributor
3,652 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 13-Month Airline Ticket

I may be wrong jagjet, but I think you will find that the 12 months starts ticking from the original outbound date and can't be extended by ruses such as you suggest.

australia
Level Contributor
2,551 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 13-Month Airline Ticket

Nope only if you cancel one leg then the date starts ticking from the purchase date to use the credit. I checked a few fare rules before I wrote the post.

But as always you must check before you buy,

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
10,857 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 13-Month Airline Ticket

I'm going to have to agree with Numbat on this one. In addition, most US carriers are going to charge at least a $150 change fee, plus any difference in fare.

Where did you find such a ticket jagjetfly?

Edited: 05 September 2010, 05:41
australia
Level Contributor
2,551 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 13-Month Airline Ticket

oh rats....Yes you are right I found the 12 Month stay restriction,

However a girl I worked with did manage to change her return because she didn't want to lose it and was allowed, which is why I went looking to double check. i rang her, if she tries to change it again she will lose the money altogether. She hasn't used it yet!! Was also purchased through a TA not airline direct.

I really think it depends how alert the person is that you get on the phone, I personally wouldn't risk losing my money.

So the Op will have to buy single tickets via STA, (talb suggestion) if they will allow him into the country without a return ticket.

Which then comes to the point...Airlines don't normally sell tickets for travel beyond 11 Months so the OP will have to wait and buy his return after he gets there. Which makes me wonder how a return ticket can have a validity date of 12 Months if you cannot buy a ticket 12 Months out.

Mesa, Arizona
Level Contributor
9,998 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 13-Month Airline Ticket

the one year limit seems actually to be very slightly over. I looked on Kayak (doing a dummy booking JFK-LHR and I could not book past September 30.

I think OP should def. check STA TRAVEL.

http://www.statravel.com/

Nannup, Australia
Level Contributor
3,652 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 13-Month Airline Ticket

jagjet - the 12 months starts from the date of travel NOT the date of purchase. Tickets have boxes which state clearly 'not vaild before' and 'not valid after' dates to show the min/max validity.

Cincinnati, Ohio
3 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: 13-Month Airline Ticket

THANKS EVERYONE FOR YOUR ADVICE!!! We contacted STAtravel and were very pleased to get a one way ticket for our duaghter for around $430...so much better than going onto cheaptickets.com. If you are a student or younger than 26, you get amazing prices. For the parents, the same ticket was $2300. AHHHH! To be young again!!

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
10,857 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: 13-Month Airline Ticket

That's a great price; glad this worked out so well.