We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best time to buy flights to USA

London
Level Contributor
62 posts
45 reviews
Save Topic
Best time to buy flights to USA

We are travelling to the US next summer- flying into Jackson Hole and returning from Boston. I don't know whether the tickets would be cheaper when they are first available in a couple of weeks or whether prices are likely to come down. Any advice would be appreciated. Many thanks.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
9,487 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best time to buy flights to USA

You don't need to buy them right away, that rarely results in cheap deals.

but as for when the best time to buy... Who knows

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
65,630 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best time to buy flights to USA

You certainly don't have to buy now! IF there will be sales they usually occur one or two seasons before the flight. IF you are flying in summer then there might be a sale in the winter or spring BUT noone wll know for sure.

I'd just keep watch and buy when you see a price that is comfortable for you.

South London
Level Contributor
1,421 posts
144 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best time to buy flights to USA

Bear in mind the increases in APD (Air passenger duty) that are due to rise in January. Book before the year is out to avoid!!

Wirral, United...
Level Contributor
100 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best time to buy flights to USA

Hi,

I'm also from UK and am in the planning stages for our holiday to Wyoming & South Dakota next late August. I am going to monitor them the minute they come out but feel the best deals are usually about 4/5 months before.

I am checking and doing lots of info searches, have registered with sites like Yapta/Kayak etc.

The ONE thing i have discovered in all my mooching is that the CHEAPEST DAY TO FLY IS DEFINITELY WEDNESDAY maybe Thursdays.

I also noticed a big drop (£150 ish) when i searched on a Tuesday about 12.30 to 2 AM, searching in the early hours has (for me) ALWAYS generated the best deals.

But how long is a piece of string? This is only a guide as Airlines are a law unto themselves.

Good luck

Wirral, United...
Level Contributor
100 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best time to buy flights to USA

Hi, just to update my previous post - went ahead and bought tickets end of October for next August as i liked the price.....

Flying with UA from Manchester to Jackson hole wyoming via heathrow & Chicago and returning from Rapid city to Manchester via Chicago & Heathrow on 24th August.

Got (I think) good price of £588 total. Got to pick good seats etc on all legs of journey.

Am watching to see if they come down, but at present they have gone up a bit, even so its just curiosity (I know, I know, should never look back eh!!).

But even if they come down i doubt it will be much.

Also, it was very important to me to make sure i got a 767 plane which has the 2x3x2 config as the other flights were via Denver but on a 777 which is 3x3x3 which i'm not too keen on.

A lot of cheaper flights came up but they were via Newark on the horrible 757 single aisle planes which are a total no, no for me.

cheers

Hants, UK
Level Contributor
2,888 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best time to buy flights to USA

As long as you are happy with the price you paid, that's that matters.

I agree with the 'don't look again' but it's good when you see thay have gone up!!

Iowa City, Iowa
Level Contributor
1,575 posts
132 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Best time to buy flights to USA

"Am watching to see if they come down, but at present they have gone up a bit, even so its just curiosity (I know, I know, should never look back eh!!)".

Looking at prices after you bought your ticket would be a mistake, the thing is, if you thought the price was good, just forget about what they are charging others. I, usually buy my ticket about a year out for our annual trip to Hawaii in February-I never, ever, look at the price again, after that!

Congratulations, and enjoy your trip, it would be gorgeous that time of the year!

8. Re: Best time to buy flights to USA

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 May 2011, 05:18