We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ryan Air - Cabin Baggage - down to the nitty gritty

Frankfort
Level Contributor
19 posts
22 reviews
Save Topic
Ryan Air - Cabin Baggage - down to the nitty gritty

I have read all of the caveats about Ryan Air's In Cabin luggage rules. We plan to stick with the 10 KG limit on carry-on luggage with no checked bags. The Ryan Air website does not specify whether the posted dimensions include the wheels/handles/ vexterior rails or whether the wheels/handles/exterior rails can extend beyond the posted dimensions.

Does anyone know for sure if the wheels/handles/exterior rails have to fit within the posted dimensions?

Also, if the total of the 3 dimensions of my bag is less than the total of the posted dimensions (50+40+25 = 115), then is that OK or does each dimension have to be less than the posted dimension?

Specifically, Ryan's posted dimensions are 55 x 40 x 20 cm. Without the wheels our luggage meets these dimensions, but including the wheels/handles/rails results in a measurement of about 55.5 cm x 35 x 19 cm. Thus it easily meets two of the dimensions but exceeds the posted length by 1/2 cm due to the curve of the plastic handle. Without the 1/2 cm curve of the plastic handle, from the edge of the bag to the tip of the wheels is exactly 55 cm.

We intend to be very careful about making sure that it is under 10 KG in weight and that it is not bulging. There are no bulky looking outside pockets to make it look lumpy.

Our first Ryan air flight is from Edinburgh to Dublin at 8 am on Saturday 16 Oct. Our 2nd Ryan air flight is from Dublin to Prestwick on Saturday 23 Oct at 8:15 am. Our last Ryan air flight is from Prestwick to Dublin on Saturday 30 Oct at 7 am. Do we need to be at these 3 airports 2 hours ahead?

Does anybody know or have any theories about certain times of the day and at what airports they tend to be stricter? Do they truly make every person fit their carry-on bag into the box? Or do they only do that if it looks too big or looks like it bulges out too much? If they decide that it is too large, at what point in the process do they do that (would it be when they are checking our US passport and boarding pass before we go to security)? At that point, how much of a hassle and time delay would result if we did have to check it? Would we have to go to a kiosk or to the Ryan air desk?

Do they weigh every carry-on bag or only if they look bulgy? If so, at what point in the process do they do that (would it be when they are checking our US passport and boarding pass before we go to security)? At that point, how much of a hassle and time delay would result if we did have to check it?

Since we have 3 flights, I do not want to pay 15 GBP twice and 15EUR once to check this bag. Moreover, since it will weigh under 10 kg and the checked baggage allowance is 15 kg, I would be paying for a bag that weighs only 2/3 of the allowable weight. That comes to about $70 in USD for this bag. If I intentionally decide that it is worth $70 to be able to take more stuff, then I would make sure to take 14.5 kg of stuff instead of 9.5 kg and would pay ahead online to check it. But if I get stuck having to check it at the airport, then they will charge 35 GBP ($58) twice and 35 Euros ($48) once. That comes to about $164. If that happens, I would throw away my $15 suitcase and carry the stuff on in a garbage bag!

If this were your bag, would you take a chance and try to carry it on? Based on your best guess what do you think is the likelihood that they would make us check it?

Bangkok
Destination Expert
for Bangkok, Air Travel, Thailand
Level Contributor
15,621 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Ryan Air - Cabin Baggage - down to the nitty gritty

Hi,

You ask, "... If this were your bag, would you take a chance and try to carry it on? Based on your best guess what do you think is the likelihood that they would make us check it?"

I think if you read thru some of the past threads on this airline and specific subject, you'll see that they are pretty consistent in enforcement..

Yes. wheels, handles and the like *do* count in the overall measurement. It's measured at the *largest* points.. so this does include anything that 'protrudes'-- such as wheels and handles..

Do I think that they'll make you check it? Yes I do... and charge you for it.

Travel Safe,

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
14,052 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Ryan Air - Cabin Baggage - down to the nitty gritty

>>Does anyone know for sure if the wheels/handles/exterior rails have to fit within the posted dimensions?

Yes, they would though you can sometimes 'cheat' the box at the airport. For instance, I have a suitcase that is exactly the measurements allowed by Ryanair not counting the wheels which stick out a bit. I can still easily fit it in the box at the airport though as long as I put it in the right way (wheels in first with the suitcase at an angle, then pop in the whole case). Whether you want to try that yourself is up to you.

>>Also, if the total of the 3 dimensions of my bag is less than the total of the posted dimensions (50+40+25 = 115), then is that OK or does each dimension have to be less than the posted dimension?

Total dimension is irrelevant, what matters is whether or not you fit your luggage in the box at the gate. If you have a suitcase that is close to maximum requirements, there's a good chance you will be asked to do so.

>>Our first Ryan air flight is from Edinburgh to Dublin at 8 am on Saturday 16 Oct. Our 2nd Ryan air flight is from Dublin to Prestwick on Saturday 23 Oct at 8:15 am. Our last Ryan air flight is from Prestwick to Dublin on Saturday 30 Oct at 7 am. Do we need to be at these 3 airports 2 hours ahead?

'Need' is perhaps overstating it. When I fly from Edinburgh I try to be at the airport about 1h 15 min before departure. That usually leaves plenty of time to get through security and stroll to the gate.

>>Do they truly make every person fit their carry-on bag into the box?

Usually only people that looks like they are close to limit.

>>Do they weigh every carry-on bag or only if they look bulgy? If so, at what point in the process do they do that

I've never had by bagged weight in Edinburgh though it seems to be more and common at other airports. They did it at Prestwick when I fly from there a couple of months ago. When it happens, it's at the gate when boarding.

>>If this were your bag, would you take a chance and try to carry it on?

I'd probably chance it.

>>Based on your best guess what do you think is the likelihood that they would make us check it?

If you can fit it in the box without too much hassle and it's less than 10 kg, you will be able to take it onboard. If not, then you're in trouble,

Edited: 11 September 2010, 18:02
Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
6,589 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Ryan Air - Cabin Baggage - down to the nitty gritty

We've replied to your post on the Dublin Forum

tripadvisor.ie/ShowTopic-g186605-i90-k392111…

Travelling The World
Destination Expert
for Alghero, Melton Mowbray, Elora
Level Contributor
15,179 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Ryan Air - Cabin Baggage - down to the nitty gritty

> Total dimension is irrelevant, what matters is whether or not you fit your luggage in the box at the gate.

Indeed. If one of the dimensions is too big, it won't fit, so it won't be allowed - even if the others are less.

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
14,052 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Ryan Air - Cabin Baggage - down to the nitty gritty

I should probably just add to my post, being at the airport 1h15m before departure assumes that you have no luggage to drop off. If you do, you might want to go earlier than that.

Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
32,927 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Ryan Air - Cabin Baggage - down to the nitty gritty

4 times you ask the same question.

Lots of good advice. Why not avoid all the stress and buy a bag that complies for less than £5?

aberdeen
Level Contributor
1,757 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Ryan Air - Cabin Baggage - down to the nitty gritty

And while your at it you can buy small portable scales from e bay for around £1.50 postage free.

London, England
Level Contributor
1,510 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Ryan Air - Cabin Baggage - down to the nitty gritty

Based on recent experience, I reckon you'll be fine on size with an overage of half a centimeter on a bag that's obviously not otherwise too big. In my experience of 40-50 Ryanair flights I've noticed that - at Stanstead at least, the security people who scan your boarding pass before you even get to the metal detectors only use the size gaugue or scales for obviously oversized stuff- or knock you back if you're rash enough to try to take 2 bags. And as regards weight why risk it? They don't weigh your clothes, so just stuff some heavier items in your coat pockets!

Interestingly, this year I notice that they've really cracked down in Southern Italy. Whereas historically, passengers were waved through with massive handbags as well as cases too big for the lockers, this Spring they were insisting every single passenger demonstrate that their bag could fit into that blue cage thingy.

And as regards buying the right case for future use; I dunno what you can get for 5GBP (post above) but we're delighted with the small 'Sub-0-G' trolley cases we bought last year; just the right size, lightweight, robust, a ten year guarantee and, at less than half the price of Ryanair's own brand, great value. Made by Landor & Hawa, they're widely discounted below 30 GBP in UK stores; just make sure you get the right one; they have 3 or 4 sizes

Edited: 14 September 2010, 09:19
Frankfort
Level Contributor
19 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Ryan Air - Cabin Baggage - down to the nitty gritty

Thanks so much. I appreciate your taking the time to answer each of my questions so candidly.

Frankfort
Level Contributor
19 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Ryan Air - Cabin Baggage - down to the nitty gritty

I am in the US and I can't find anything that fits and certainly not for that amount of money. If I could find anything reasonable at all I would certainly buy it. Where do you suggest that I go in Scotland to find such a bag? Perhaps I can buy one after I get there before my first Ryan air flight and just give mine away!