We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Snoring - what to do

london
Level Contributor
8,928 posts
42 reviews
Save Topic
Snoring - what to do

Yesterday, Sep 11th, I was on flight EK381 from Hong Kong to Dubai. I had a seat assigned but when i checked in, the check in agent told me that she had an exit row seat available and I duly found myself in seat 37A.

The problem was the occupant of seat 37C who, even before we had pushed back from the gate was sitting slumped in his seat, mouth wide open, snoring his head off. The guy in 37B and myself could not believe the sounds that were eminating from him. Even the FA sitting in the crew seat ( a lovely spanish girl called Yanah), was stunned.

So what to do ? This was one big guy and nobody wanted to wake him just in case.

In the end all we could do was sit there and listen to it, for what seemed hours

Edited: 12 September 2010, 08:47
Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
13,311 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Snoring - what to do

Earplugs.

I don't see what else you can do really. It's not like you could forbid him to fall asleep.

Bangkok
Destination Expert
for Bangkok, Air Travel, Thailand
Level Contributor
15,528 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Snoring - what to do

Hi,

This is a tough one.. I'm kind of siding with Lex on this.. The crew is likely to not want to intervene, as most airlines don't have a policy on the matter that allows them to really step in with some form of authority.... and even if *you* were to wake him-- be that purposefully or "accidentally" it's my opinion, and based on past experiences, that once he falls back asleep the condition will simply return..

As I understand it, to a large degree the act of snoring isn't a voluntary conscious action but rather the result of the bodies reaction to a restricted air flow issue once asleep.

So, I tend the believe that unless either you or he just moved thereby putting more space between you, or he didn't fall asleep again-- that there really is no solution per se..

Travel Safe,

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
37,342 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Snoring - what to do

HI, Thanks for not waking me ;-)

london
Level Contributor
8,928 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Snoring - what to do

It was a close run thing Ronaldo

Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
32,728 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Snoring - what to do

My strategy is....... If you can't beat 'em, join 'em!

A couple of bottles (small ones) of red wine and the flight is a breeze.

NYC/Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
35,801 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Snoring - what to do

Snoring is frequently caused by sleep apnea ( or someone with a bad bad cold)

Large overweight people are more likely to have this condition than thin people. ( but some thin people DO have it) Since most of us aren't aware of how we sound when we sleep there is really nothing you can do. ( and I too have suffered through long flights with snorers)

Luzon, Philippines
Destination Expert
for Philippines, Bandar Seri Begawan
Level Contributor
16,998 posts
248 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Snoring - what to do

Earplugs, listen to iPod or the IFE.

Bristol, United...
Level Contributor
3,412 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Snoring - what to do

Regular elbowing, I mean sharp prodding ;) Tickle their face with something... or demand to be moved. I utterly abhor snoring people, I would really rather have two small children either side of me & several behind kicking my seat, plus the people in front with their seats right back on my lap. God, the joys of long hauls :(

NYC/Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
35,801 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Snoring - what to do

"Regular elbowing, I mean sharp prodding ;) Tickle their face with something... or demand to be moved.:

If someone ever regularly elbowed me I would look to press charges. As distasteful as listening to snoring may be the snorer didn't choose to snore. Your physically touching him is going beyond what is allowed. Demanding to be moved will only work if there is someplace to be moved to.

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
42,888 posts
1,049 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Snoring - what to do

Plastic squirt gun filled with cold water?

;-)