We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

USA airlines first class V Euro/Asian first class.

Keswick, United...
Level Contributor
2,424 posts
Save Topic
USA airlines first class V Euro/Asian first class.

Just been reading a TR and noticed someone travelling first class and to be honest it didn't sound very first class to me.

The only things that seemed to differ from economy was the bigger seats, free soft drinks and coffee etc and a fruit bowl handed round.

Now i have only flown first class once from Bangkok to Amsterdam with China Airlines of Taiwan and believe me it was better than that. Huge flat beds, the finest of champagne and some of the finest dining one could wish for. Also a travel bag for each passenger with very expensive stuff in it. Yes before you ask how much it was, it wasn't, it was an air miles free upgrade to business class, which was full, so they stuck me in 1A. Bonus eh!

I dunno, perhaps its just domestic? Whatever it seems an awful lot of money to splash out for little return. Enlighten me.

Keswick, United...
Level Contributor
2,424 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: USA airlines first class V Euro/Asian first class.

Oh and before someone jumps in to say this is not Vegas related, well im heading to Vegas in 4 weeks and have a heap of miles needing used up, just don't want to waste them on something not so special. Im flying from Manchester via Atlanta with Delta.

Thanks.

Muskegon, Michigan
Level Contributor
6,863 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: USA airlines first class V Euro/Asian first class.

Well, from past ( and I mean for me, long ago past) experience, US airline first class air travel is definitely not on the same level as European or Asian airlines' first class air travel. Or even Qantas'. My benchmark for great first class airline service would be Singapore Airlines. Those guys know how to do First Class very well, even if it's for a short run flight. Not sure what Delta's FC would be like, but I'm pretty sure it may pale in comparison to their non North American counterparts. Scores of discussion on this subject, such as on online forums like www.flyertalk.com, as well as reviews from different travelers, seem to support that too.

Irvine, California
Level Contributor
33,862 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: USA airlines first class V Euro/Asian first class.

First class on intercontinental flights is a totally different animal to what you'll find on flights within the US. No real need for flat beds on a flight that's only going to take say 3-4 hours. Pretty much the same as a flight from London to a destination in Europe. American Airlines has flat beds in its first class on intercontinental flights but not on US routes.

But for questions like this, by far the best place to get the answers you need is the TripAdvisor air travel forum.

Edited: 16 September 2010, 18:25
SoCal
Level Contributor
9,403 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: USA airlines first class V Euro/Asian first class.

We occasionally travel in first, you also get free adult beverages (even get a drink on the tarmac before takeoff) and a fairly decent meal (by airline standards). I have seen pics of those seats on China, do not expect that, but they are quite large and comfortable.

The last time we flew first on Delta we had a great flight attendant, when I ordered a bloody mary for me and a chardonnay for the wife he said 'sir, we have a two drink minimum' and promptly brought us two each.

You are on a long flight, if you can upgrade for points I'd do it.

Keswick, United...
Level Contributor
2,424 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: USA airlines first class V Euro/Asian first class.

Thanks i guess it is the same as business class on European scheduled flights, the trip across the pond should be better.

england
Level Contributor
169 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: USA airlines first class V Euro/Asian first class.

flew with BMI on flatbeds to vegas before the route closed on miles and this was fanatastic - a real shame when this flight closed as their premium was like some first class - just got back today from vegas flying with thomas cook in premium - no comparison - anyway there will be no premium thomas cook next year - better that cattle class - but not much

Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
731 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: USA airlines first class V Euro/Asian first class.

Hi all,

I wanted to pop in and mention that we have moved this discussion here to the Air Travel forum, as it was not specifically related to Las Vegas, so that hopefully it will be accessible to more interested members.

Thanks for participating everyone and sorry for the interruption!

Best regards,

TA_Louise

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
9,022 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: USA airlines first class V Euro/Asian first class.

Well you're confusing shorthaul and longhaul products. No different to BA business class on a flight to Paris being massively different to business class on a flight to Los Angeles.

If you compare United First Class between LA and Sydney with Qantas on the same route you'll see they offer comparable products; small cabin, flat bed private seating, etc. Anyone with an ounce of sensibility would choose Qantas as they got all the smaller details done much better but my point stands.

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Osaka
Level Contributor
49,410 posts
130 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: USA airlines first class V Euro/Asian first class.

These days, if you are flying international first class on North American carriers, look for airlines that have renovated their product within the past 2 or 3 years. Otherwise, they cannot possibly compete with most Asian carriers. In my opinion, flat beds and AVOD (on-demand AV system) are mandatory features.

I agree with Speedbird that non-American carriers still seem to have the edge when it comes to service details.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
1,122 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: USA airlines first class V Euro/Asian first class.

First class is really about a bigger seat/ bed, and nicer food and drinks. Don't go on expecting an incredible, unforgettable experience, because it is simply not like that, even on the very best airlines.