We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Medications in plane fridge?

London
Level Contributor
759 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Medications in plane fridge?

Hello everybody, a relative of mine was recently prescribed some medication which must be kept in a fridge and which she needs to take daily. She was supplied a cool bag which will keep the meds cool for up to 10 hrs while travelling, but soon she will be taking a trip from Stockholm which will involve a 12 hour door to door journey. So we were hoping that maybe she could put the meds in the planes fridge for the duration of the flight to 'top up' the coolness of the meds and increase her chances of making it to her destination with meds intact.

How do airlines generally deal with this, are they usually agreeable? Specifically SAS.

Thanks!

Bangkok
Destination Expert
for Bangkok, Air Travel, Thailand
Level Contributor
15,659 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Medications in plane fridge?

Hi,

That's a somewhat sketchy subject for most airlines.. Here in the US it's specifically prohibited by federal regulations as the "fridge" and "ovens" are considered to be food preparation and storage areas and as such the crew cannot store, reheat or otherwise introduce any materials not specifically boarded and maintained in a sanitary means.. This includes all crew and passenger supplied items- even if still in their original packaging.

I know that the EU region has similar regulations/restrictions in place.

However... there are some off-book options that the FA's can do to create a make-shift cooling device for you.. Most carriers board a quantity of dry-ice and wet-ice (the dry-ice helps keep the wet ice frozen) and the FA's can make a double-bagged chiller that you can then place your meds into.. this is just one idea I know that is commonly used.

My best suggestion is to inform your Chier Purser about the situation and seek his/her guidance on the matter.. You won't be the first to have asked this before, and as such most experienced FA's know how to find a workable but still permissible alternative for you.

Travel Safe,

Edited: 28 September 2010, 10:19
Lewes, United...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
21,467 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Medications in plane fridge?

While I have no personal experience, I would tend to agree with GPOBI that, owing to a raft of health and safety or hygiene laws and regulations emanating from the country where the airline is based (SAS) or in addition the airline's own rules, that putting anything personal to a passenger in an area only allowed to be accessed by the crew, a fridge in a galley in this case, would never be allowed.

However, I recall on a flight that a passenger, as soon as the fasten seatbelts signs were switched off, pressed the alert button for a member of aircrew, and asked for a container of ice and water from the bar. The passenger then placed a small container of medication into this and tucked it back into their insulated bag and placed that in the space down by their feet. As your relative will be flying on a long haul flight, there should be a bar on board with ice available. This may need, of course, to be refleshed as and when needed during the course of the flight.

Hope they have a good flight,

SWT

Edited: 28 September 2010, 10:50
Detroit, MI
Destination Expert
for Detroit, Travel Gadgets and Gear
Level Contributor
6,876 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Medications in plane fridge?

I would never give up custody of important medications to a stranger where they are out of my control. An honest mistake could cause your medication to get thrown away, allowed to spoil, or frozen with dry ice.

Ask for ice if your supply is depleted and keep your medication in your control.

London
Level Contributor
759 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Medications in plane fridge?

Thanks for the advice everyone, it's actually a shorthaul flight - only 3 hours but door to door journey will be 12 hrs. I think we'd be best to just leave the meds in the cool bag where they are, if we open the coolbag to take the meds out to put them in another airline provided coolbag, then the integrity of the original coolbag will be lost and it needs to survive for another 6 hours after the flight has landed. The ideal would be to put the entire original coolbag in a fridge without having to open the bag but it looks like this isn't possible.

Chester, United...
Level Contributor
2,700 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Medications in plane fridge?

I don't know what your meds are but have a look at Frio bags - they're designed for similar situations. They work!

www.friouk.com

6. Re: Medications in plane fridge?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 March 2011, 07:18