We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How do I get Xmas gifts to Maui?

Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
35 posts
26 reviews
Save Topic
How do I get Xmas gifts to Maui?

I have somewhat of a dilemma in trying to figure out how to get our kids' Christmas gifts to Maui with us. 1) I could put them in the checked luggage but I think I run the risk of having them stolen. 2) I could take them in my carry on but security might take them out to inspect them (they are electronics) and the kids would see that. 3) My Mom has offered to Fedex the gifts to us once we are in Maui but with the Xmas mail rush and things getting held up in Customs, I am afraid they will not arrive on time or even get lost. Please help! We will be flying from Alberta, Canada to Maui, HI on Dec 16th.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
58,185 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How do I get Xmas gifts to Maui?

Don't wrap them before you leave for Hawaii as if there's an inspection needed the wrap will have to come off. If you do put them in a checked bag - which may be the best option - and the value of the goods is considerable, declare a higher value for the bag at check in to cover any potential (and hopefully nonexistent) losses.

How many items do you plan to take, and with what airline are you flying?

Bangkok
Destination Expert
for Bangkok, Air Travel, Thailand
Level Contributor
15,761 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How do I get Xmas gifts to Maui?

Hi,

Here's a thought.. It sounds like there are two adults traveling with the kids.. correct?.. If so, try this...

Adult #1 takes all the electronics in his/her hand-carry Adult #2 takes no gifts.. Adult #1 discretely goes thru security via a different lane or makes some other last second "excuse" to fall out of line-- like "oh, I forgot something back at the ticket counter-- you guys go ahead and go thru, I'll catch up in a few minutes!"... Adult #2 would go thru security with the kids and with no gifts.. You all meet up on the secured side a few minutes later... presto!

I don't like the luggage idea as thefts do (unfortunately) happen and you'll have no real recourse against the airline if that happens and you'll have limited time to replace them-- if possible in Maui.. I personally think that the FedEx idea is an unnecessary expense given you have other options that are cost-free..

Travel Safe,

Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
35 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How do I get Xmas gifts to Maui?

TravellerPlus......We are taking 2 Nintendo DS systems with games and accessories as the "Santa" gifts. We are flying with WestJet. I knew about the wrapping paper part of it and definitely don't plan on wrapping them. I imagine that might cause even more reason for a search. The 2nd reply to my post makes sense to maybe have my husband hang back with the gifts in his carry on and I take the kids ahead and meet up on the other side.

New York
Destination Expert
for Travel Gadgets and Gear
Level Contributor
1,693 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: How do I get Xmas gifts to Maui?

Or you can Fed Ex (or some other overnight service) them to yourselves at the hotel in Maui before you leave. By sending them on the 14th or 15th, they should arrive by the 16th and if they don't, you still have a full working week as a cushion.

Edited: 30 September 2010, 00:58
Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
10,857 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: How do I get Xmas gifts to Maui?

We have been in the same situation many times, and after a huge hassle with customs in Canada, we finally decided to just have the gifts early, before the trip. It's much easier than hauling everything and worrying about customs, shipping, etc.

Edited: 30 September 2010, 01:35
6. Re: How do I get Xmas gifts to Maui?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 March 2011, 07:16