We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Longest Non-Stop Commercial Airline Flight in the World....?

Winnipeg, Mb.
Level Contributor
475 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Longest Non-Stop Commercial Airline Flight in the World....?

I was just wondering which scheduled airline route has the longest duration.......Someone mentioned JFK to Johannesburg on SAA......over 15 hours flight time......Any other flights of equal or longer duration....? There cannot be many aircraft in service capable of such range.......Maybe the Boeing 777 or Airbus A340.

Bangkok
Destination Expert
for Bangkok, Air Travel, Thailand
Level Contributor
15,678 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Longest Non-Stop Commercial Airline Flight in the World....?

Hi,

Right now that belongs to Singapore.. They run a EWR-SIN non-stop on an (now) all Business class A340-500 series.. specially outfitted for this route.. This is a 15,345 km route.. They also have the #2 route as well-- an LAX-SIN non-stop..

Others that are very close are DL's ATL-JNB non-stop (B772LR) as well as TG's LAX-BKK non-stop (A345)..

These are all 15+ hour flights depending on specific day of travel, direction of travel and prevailing winds..

Travel Safe,

South Pole
Level Contributor
15,381 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Longest Non-Stop Commercial Airline Flight in the World....?

have done sq's sin-lax and return. think it was tad under 18hours on the way back. was minimum premier economy in those days but still pretty comfortable. but it's a long time to be couped up in a plane despite the excellent service and hard to beat IFE.

Auckland, New...
Level Contributor
121 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Longest Non-Stop Commercial Airline Flight in the World....?

See this Wikipedia page for the top 30 longest commercial flights

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Non-stop_flight

EWR-SIN is the longest at 18hrs 50mins followed by :

LAX-SIN (Singapore Airlines)

ATL-JNB (Delta)

DXB-LAX (Emirates)

BKK-LAX (Thai)

DXB-IAH(Emirates)

DXB-SFO(Emirates)

JFK - HKG (Cathay)

EWR-HKG ( Continental)

DOH-IAH ( Qatar)

JFK-JNB ( South African)

LAX-MEL (Qantas & V Australia)

Edited: 06 October 2010, 05:52
Lewes, United...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
22,068 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Longest Non-Stop Commercial Airline Flight in the World....?

Very interesting! Not done any of those ultra long hauls, DH did MEL-LAX once and said, never again!

I have a vague memory that about 10 years ago, either BA or Qantas did a test run in a 747 variant with just media, pilots and other tech staff on board of the 'Kangaroo run' between LHR and SYD. but this never turned into commercial reality.

I note, according to the same Wikipedia article, that the shortest commercial flight is between St Kitts and Nevis - a whole 5 mins duration. I have done that one! I think the taxiing took longer than the time we were airborne. Also, I'm old enough to remember that to get from LHR to JFK, we had to refuel at both Shannon and Gander. What I can't remember is whether these flights were in comets or not, and whether it was with PanAm or BOAC (pre BA).

SWT

travelling
Level Contributor
155 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Longest Non-Stop Commercial Airline Flight in the World....?

Did the singapore to Newark flight recently. Was mentally prepared for the long 18 hours flight but time really flew by and in no time at all, we had arrived at New York. It does help that it was a all business class flight. Will be happy to do this flight again anytime.

Garden Bay, Canada
Destination Expert
for Air Travel, Business Travel
Level Contributor
9,856 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Longest Non-Stop Commercial Airline Flight in the World....?

Interesting. I've only done the LAX-BKK and the EWR-HKG routes, but I may have an opportunity for IAH-DXB or IAH-DOH shortly.

On the other end of the realm...

I've done HOU-IAH a couple of times. About 32 miles. CO doesn't do that route anymore, but it was a fun jaunt... and strange, having to fly away from the city to turn and fly back in order to enter the landing pattern.

Bangkok
Destination Expert
for Bangkok, Air Travel, Thailand
Level Contributor
15,678 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Longest Non-Stop Commercial Airline Flight in the World....?

Hi,

I've always wanted to try one of those ultra long-haul eastbound USA origin flights, but just haven't done so yet.. We get C class passes on EK, so I thinkI I'll make it a point to do so soon.

I've done some of the long stuff, but only westbound.. EWR & LAX-SIN (SQ), LAX-BKK (TG), LAX & SFO-SYD (UA), JFK-HKG (CX), ORD-HKG (UA), SYD-YVR (AC) and TPE-EWR (BR)..

and like you Geo, I'd done really, really short hauls too.. Like SFO-OAK and LAX-SNA.

I usually really like the ultra ling haul westbound flights as I can get some quality rest time in or get a fair bit of work done.. Plus, in many cases (usually with the Asian carriers) the US departure time is late at night, I can usually settle into sleep right away..

Travel Safe,

Winnipeg, Mb.
Level Contributor
475 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Longest Non-Stop Commercial Airline Flight in the World....?

We're considering flying SAA out of JFK to Johannesburg, and then take a short hop to Windhoek in Namibia the following day......For a 15 hour flight, I would want very comfortable seats, a good book, a pillow, and a good in-flight movie...!! I believe SAA uses the A340 Airbus for the long haul routes.....

Halifax, Canada
Level Contributor
15 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Longest Non-Stop Commercial Airline Flight in the World....?

The longest flight I've done was Toronto to Narita and back, 12 hours. Going wasn't so bad, but on the return flight I was ready to crawl out of my skin. I can't imagine ever doing a longer flight ever again.

Halifax, Nova Scotia
Level Contributor
1 post
26 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Longest Non-Stop Commercial Airline Flight in the World....?

I have done JFK to BKK on Thai (17 hours I believe). They no longer offer this flight, but I wish they did. It was great getting all of the travel out of the way in one shot rather than having to layover in HK or Tokyo