We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Seoul Layover?

Portland
Level Contributor
60 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Seoul Layover?

How much time should I allow for layover in Seoul? It's 1hr 5min right now and that doesn't seem like enough time.

Chiang Khong...
Level Contributor
4,690 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Seoul Layover?

HI

If you are connecting on same airline you have no say in the amount of layover. time

If the airline dictates that short of a layover than they must expect it is suffecient time

If you are booking seperate tickets on your own then it is too short of time

Portland
Level Contributor
60 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Seoul Layover?

Yes, it's Korean Air from Seattle to Seoul than to Beijing. Thank you

South Pole
Level Contributor
15,381 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Seoul Layover?

it's a great and easy airport to transfer thru. if u r on time then there will be no problems. and seeing you are on one ticket if there are korean will sort those out for u.

Bangkok
Destination Expert
for Bangkok, Air Travel, Thailand
Level Contributor
15,358 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Seoul Layover?

Hi,

ICN like NRT and HKG are major transit points for the region and the hub carriers, so the airport has a well defined and well working transit passenger process..

Once you deplane you walk over to the transit passenger re-screening point-- you don't go thru any Immigration or Customs inspections.. You do need to have your onward boarding pass to get thru the transit point.. If for any reason you don't have it, you can get one from the airlines transit desk which is just beside the security point entrance..

Once you go thru the checkpoint, your passport and BP will be checked as well as all your possessions.. Once passed, you go one level up on an escalator and you're now in the general departures hall on the post-immigration, post-security side.. From here you just walk to your gate..

The airport does cover a fair amount of real estate, but it's wide and very walkable, and there are moving sidewalks (walkalators) in most parts..

So long as you're on-time or reasonably close to that, :65 is more than ample.. Its well laid out and staffed properly.. I think you'll find the ICN connection experience to be one of the better ones in the region.

Travel Safe,

Portland
Level Contributor
60 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Seoul Layover?

Since you all know so much about this airport, do you have any ideas what we could do one the way back with 11 hrs of layover? Thank you in advance!

Bangkok
Destination Expert
for Bangkok, Air Travel, Thailand
Level Contributor
15,358 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Seoul Layover?

Hi,

Assuming you have visa-free entry rights into ROK, there are a number full day and half-day city tours that can be done right from the ICN airport..

The tour desks are located just outside of the baggage reclaim and customs hall.. Once you exit the secured area, if you look across the waiting hall, you'll see them against the far wall... There are transport vendors, tour vendors, hotel reps, etc. all with service desks there..

This option does require you to formally enter the country- thus you'll need to allow for time to get back thru Immigration on your return.. However, with the assumption you will already have your ICN-SEA BP issued and in your possession, you won't need to check-in again at ICN, and would proceed directly to the outbound immigration area for processing and security checking of you and your hand goods.

If you don't want to do a formal tour, I'd suggest you take the train that leaves right from the airport itself and go into Seoul town.. You can then do a self-guided tour or just wander..

Do remember that if you go outside don't take any liquids over the allowed limit as you won't be able to get them back inside when you come back to the airport.

Alternatively, if you wanted to stay on air-side (secured) side, there are several nice transit hotels that you can use by the hour or in multi-hour blocks.. Overall, when you consider the per-hour price, they're not cheap, but are the ultimate in convenience and of a very high quality.

On the shopping and eating side, they've got the usual full line of duty free goods and shops there as well as a fair number of places to eat that covers most culinary tastes from local Korean to Asian to Euro to American fast food..

In my mind, it boils down to if you want to enter the country or not.. With 11 hours-- which ends up being about 8.00 to 8.50 hours when you consider the time needed to complete arrivals processing (customs and Immigration) and the time needed to go thru the same inspections again on the way back, you really do have more than sufficient time to get out and look around..

Travel Safe,

Hanoi, Vietnam
Level Contributor
13,177 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Seoul Layover?

Hello Portland! If you haven't already done so, you need to call the Korean Air 800 line here in the US and schedule your complimentary* hotel. I'm flying Asiana next month myself and always go through this process too. If you'd rather explore Incheon City that's another option. There is a Korean Spa on the basement level of the airport where you could also spend several hours in the hot pools, saunas, and sleeping rooms (might see me there too, haven't decided yet if I'm taking the hotel room or not.) On the 4th floor, you will find several interesting things like a free internet station, tv lounge, and the pay Hub lounge ($21. w/KE or OZ BP).

* not 100% sure all itineraries get this or not (I do know that if you're bound to SE Asia or beyond you do)

Hong Kong, China
Level Contributor
2,329 posts
158 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Seoul Layover?

ICN airport also has good duty free prices, if you're interested in shopping :)

If you have the energy, Seoul is a really great city to visit. Insadong (cultural area) is a must-see. Lovely palaces and markets, too. But the city is fairly far from the airport (1hr).

South London
Level Contributor
1,403 posts
134 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Seoul Layover?

<* not 100% sure all itineraries get this or not (I do know that if you're bound to SE Asia or beyond you do)>

It is not always complimentary during peak seasons so be sure to call and double check

Mesa, Arizona
Level Contributor
9,998 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Seoul Layover?

For me personally, I'd stay in the airport, go to the spa, see if there's a place to take a shower, have a nice meal....use the airport lounge (even if I had to buy a pass).

I found the website for the airport:

http://www.airport.kr/eng/airport/index.jsp

They even have a golf driving range..........It actually looks like a fab airport. If you want a map of the airport, I think you have to download a PDF file.