We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Optiontown

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
107 posts
21 reviews
Save Topic
Optiontown

Has anyone heard of this?

They are saying a premium upgrade from Australia to KL flying Airasia for $120 extra, seems to good to be true.

New Delhi, India
Level Contributor
76 posts
Save Reply
61. Re: Optiontown

I guess yours is the only case till now on this thread in which you did not get the upgrade. I have also signed up for the upgrade and I am hopeful of getting upgraded as I had registered quite early. In your case, there might not be sufficient seats available.

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
for Khao Lak, Khao Sok National Park
Level Contributor
38,888 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
62. Re: Optiontown

McGirls,

I think the risks of getting an upgrade are quite clear as also there no guarantee that one will be granted. As ronanbuark says it depends entirely on the availability of Premium Seats on the flight. AA or any airline is not going to sell heavily discounted seats if it can sell them at full or higherr price. For the amount of the fee involved I think the risk is well worth the potential gain. Sorry you didn't manage to get an upgrade.

Bickington, United...
Level Contributor
257 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
63. Re: Optiontown

I wonder if there is any benefit to wait until a week before ?

Then you could check what seats are left in Premier ?

If there are loads left surely an upgrade would be more likely.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
170 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
64. Re: Optiontown

Hi,

I paid for the upgrade about 12 days out. I checked AA first to make sure the premium seats weren't sold out. I picked up my parents from the airport this morning and they confirmed they didn't get upgraded despite there being 3 vacant premium seats that were not filled. I hope the refund comes back within the stated timeframe.

Hope everyone else lucks up...

Kerrie

New Delhi, India
Level Contributor
76 posts
Save Reply
65. Re: Optiontown

McGirls

i think you should not be disappointed, there are several others in this forum who have benefited from this offer. And in my view it is well worth to give a try for premium seats for 5 bucks. i am just keeping my fingers crossed.

London, United...
7 posts
1 review
Save Reply
66. Re: Optiontown

@Arandora

i think the upgrades are not that risky as you mentioned because upper cabins (premium seats) are rarely sold out. So the probability of getting upgrades is very high. And by chance if you don't get upgrade, the whole upgrade money is refunded within a few working days. So I don't think any kind of risk is involved there. what you say??

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
for Khao Lak, Khao Sok National Park
Level Contributor
38,888 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
67. Re: Optiontown

There is always a risk. Personally if it was 60/40 against I would take it as the potential saving by far outweighs the small cost. With the situation outlined by McGirls of her parents seeing 3 vacant Premium seats on her parents' flight perhaps that was due to "no shows". You are told 4 hours at the latest if your upgrade has been confirmed. However, the airline has to keep seats forconfirmed bookings already paid for available until the last check-in time which with AA is only 45 minutes before departure.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
170 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
68. Re: Optiontown

Hi,

In regard to letting you know up to 4 hours before, this obviously only applies to guarenteed upgrades. I didn't get the 'sorry you missed out' email until the day after the flight.

It is true that the booking fee is not great when considered against the potential benefit, but in my case it was also about managing expectations. My parents were obviously hopeful right up to check in counter that the upgrade would come through for their overnight flight. When it didn't, and had their plain economy seats for 8 hours overnight, they were rightfully a little bit disappointed.

So.....it you are happy to gamble the booking fee..AND you are confident that you can manage right up to the check in desk not to build your expections to the point of potential disappointment....then give it a try.

For us the lesson learned is that we would rather not build the anticipation to come home from a great holiday with a sense of disspointment that is didn't happen for us. If we really want it next time, then we will just pay for it.

Kerrie

australia
Level Contributor
55 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
69. Re: Optiontown

Hi Kerrie,

I am sorry your parent's missed out. :(

I am waiting on news for an upgrade and my flight has 11 premium seats available at this stage.

If I was to miss out, I would be disappointed as well and I don't think I would go through the process again.

New Delhi, India
Level Contributor
76 posts
Save Reply
70. Re: Optiontown

McGirls

it feels bad when your expectations aren't met especially when you see so many people getting the upgrade at the same price what you paid. And you are willing to pay full for premium.

Even the same applies to me, i will be very disappointed if i don't get the upgrades but i will try for one more trip in case i do not get it. As lilyvarol told the premiums are rarely sold and there are high chances that optiontown will upgrade me. One more reason for trying would be i can not afford to pay full for premium seats at my present condition and I am more than happy to pay $5 if I have high chances of getting premium seats at very low price.