We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Swiss International yea or nay?

Southport, Australia
Level Contributor
1,437 posts
69 reviews
Save Topic
Swiss International yea or nay?

Hongkong to London via Zurich, then later London to New York via Zurich. So I thought better get the vibes if this airline is any good. Thanks. BTW Seems a trifle more expensive that I expected. It is apart of an around the world!!!!!!

Travelling The World
Destination Expert
for Alghero, Melton Mowbray, Elora
Level Contributor
15,177 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Swiss International yea or nay?

Very yea.

Sunshine Coast...
Level Contributor
2,795 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Swiss International yea or nay?

We flew Swiss a few years ago and it was a very positive experience.

However London to New York via Zurich sounds like a bit of a detour.... I would want to be saving a fair bit of money or avoiding some dreadful airlines to choose a route like that.

Travelling The World
Destination Expert
for Alghero, Melton Mowbray, Elora
Level Contributor
15,177 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Swiss International yea or nay?

Not really a detour. Zurich is also much easier to transit through than many alternatives.

On Star direct from London to NY you are pretty much limited to Continental (which is a good alternative) or United, so unless you choose them you will need to connect somewhere for NY.

Edited: 28 October 2010, 08:18
London, United...
Level Contributor
210 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Swiss International yea or nay?

I flew with Swiss 8times LHR-ZRH-WAW-ZRH-LHR and loved it;) a big big yea

Southport, Australia
Level Contributor
1,437 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Swiss International yea or nay?

Thank you all for your positive replies. I am an airoplane junkie so not too put out by Zurich and plane change,

Level Contributor
215 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Swiss International yea or nay?

We flew with Swiss International from Zurich to Los Angeles as part of a RTW and were very happy with their service.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Skopelos
Level Contributor
37,502 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Swiss International yea or nay?

A definite 'yea';-) I like Zurich airport too! Have a great trip..and enjoy!

Leicester, United...
Level Contributor
2,278 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Swiss International yea or nay?

And another vote for. Flew Warsaw > Zurich > Johannesburg. Cheaper than flying via LHR or Frankfurt but that varies day by day. They did everything you'd expect and on time both ways

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
807 posts
159 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Swiss International yea or nay?

Sorry - not agreeing with the others. Only done JFK-ZUR-BGK-SIN 2 years ago, and after those flights have put Swiss International on my own personal 'never to cross my path' list. Found service to be very surly and unfriendly. Asking for some water between JFK and Zurich I was told "Now is not the time for drinking". Half hour later, everyone was offered a drink. After dinner I tried to recline my seat, but the flight attendant came running to tell me "Now is not the time to rest". A little later when my wife turned on the overhead lamp to read, the same flight attendant told us - you guessed it - "Now is not the time for reading. You must sleep". I know this was on particular flight, but the others weren't much friendlier. When we had issues trying to do our own check-in at Zurich the staff were very unfriendly, and definitely unwilling to give any assistance. When boarding at JFK I was told that since I had a piece of hand luggage and was also carrying a coat, I would have to weigh my coat to make sure that it fit within weight limits. When I said I would wear the coat, the response from the staff was akin to a declaration of war - 'Note to self - must be wearing coat when entering the terminal or it will be weighed". Just our experience.

Haifa, Israel
Level Contributor
754 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Swiss International yea or nay?

I flew with them Tel Aviv - Nairobi and it was really good!

Their entertainment system is awesome!