We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Flights to Vietnam from Hong Kong

Philadelphia , PA
Level Contributor
1,348 posts
32 reviews
Save Topic
Flights to Vietnam from Hong Kong

Hello air travel experts --

For a trip to Vietnam -- probably Hanoi -- from Chek Lap Kok airport in Hong Kong, what's an approximate price for a round trip ticket?

This would probably be spring 2011, single traveller, coach class on a reliable airline.

THANKS!

Also, is this something I may be able to book right in Hong Kong with a few days notice? Or would it be better to book this far in advance?

Thanks so much for your time and assistance, and have a good day all.

Steve in the USA

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
37,751 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Flights to Vietnam from Hong Kong

have you tried Skyscanner or Kayak.com? Quick look in April and theye are a whopping $715 for a short 2 hour flight. Does not seem right to me

Nashville, TN
Level Contributor
5,846 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Flights to Vietnam from Hong Kong

I'm finding fares of $488.00 round trip for april using the following website.

http://matrix.itasoftware.com/

If you're planning on visiting a number of different cities in Asia, you might want to look into Cathay Pacific's All Asia Pass.

…cathaypacific.com/offers/…subdefault.asp

The link is for the 2010 pass, but the 2011 info should be coming out.

kentucky
Level Contributor
5,810 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Flights to Vietnam from Hong Kong

why are you asking such a question when you are a DE for HKG? you have 800+ posts since 2008, so I'm just a bit confused . Please explain--aren't you a travel expert?

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
1,765 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Flights to Vietnam from Hong Kong

There are only a limited number of flights from HKG to Vietnam, so cheap tickets are pretty hard to come by.

Try Vietnam Airlines for deals.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
1,123 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Flights to Vietnam from Hong Kong

Seems like an odd question indeed from a DE!!!

Bangkok
Destination Expert
for Bangkok, Air Travel, Thailand
Level Contributor
15,541 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Flights to Vietnam from Hong Kong

Hi,

You don't have many choices from HKG.. and that even includes looking for flights from MFM as well..

Off the top of my head, I can think of Orient Thai (OX) who runs daily service from HKG to BKK.. and Air Asia which runs daily service from HKG to BKK and KUL (among other cities).. Naturally you'd have to match that up with another independent fight from KUL or BKK to SGN or HAN..

From MFM you can also take Air Asia to BKK or KUL (among other cities) or Air Macau (NX) to Bangkok..

In the end, you really have no options for non-stop low cost carrier flights from either HKG of MFM that gets you to VN.. You'd have to go to one of their 'hubs' like BKK, KUL or even SIN and make another flight from there.

Unfortunately, in the North Asia market, there is markedly fewer LCC airlines as compared to the South Asia market.

Travel Safe,

Philadelphia , PA
Level Contributor
1,348 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Flights to Vietnam from Hong Kong

To kyshel and pojaya,

My questions are my business.

For your information, I have been in and out of Hong Kong about a dozen times or so in the last ten years. However, that's the ONLY destination I fly to in that region.

If you had both taken a simple minute to check my posts, besides a weather question about Hanoi, and a general travel question regarding North vs. South Vietnam a couple of years ago, you'll find ZERO, absolutely NO other posts pertaining to Vietnam.

I am a single traveler, I teach school here in the Philadelphia region, and I am NOT a travel agent or anything close to same. I simply love Hong Kong, and enjoy helping people out with questions about same.

I asked a simple question. If you can't answer same, please send your unpleasantness to someone else.

And finally, for your further information, my heroic Uncle George, Air Force pilot, crashed shortly after take off there in South Vietnam and was killed. He came home in a metal box.

This is only ONE reason why I intend to travel to Vietnam.

Steve in the USA

Philadelphia , PA
Level Contributor
1,348 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Flights to Vietnam from Hong Kong

To the other helpful people who kindly answered my post, thank you SO much.

I am not adept at researching airfares, so thanks to all who have offered assistance.

Have a great day all.

Steve in the USA

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
37,751 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Flights to Vietnam from Hong Kong

Also check out Hong Kong Express airlines. To be honest I never even noticed you were DE for HK. I guessed that you had a good reason to ask.

HK Express have daily flights to Hanoi. They do seem really expensive though but perhaps I am looking too far in advance. Might also be worth flying through BKK on Air Asia as GOPBI said. one way flights to BKK are around 750HKD next April, then onwards from there to Hanoi

Llanbrynmair...
Level Contributor
14,724 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Flights to Vietnam from Hong Kong

You could also check out the Cathay Pacific website for flights from the US to Hanoi via Hong Kong, with a stopover in HK if required.

In January this year I got an excellent fare with Cathay from London to Hanoi via HK in March.