We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Frontier Airlines was a Nightmare

Sun Lakes, Arizona
Level Contributor
9 posts
26 reviews
Save Topic
Frontier Airlines was a Nightmare

Just got back from Vegas last night...or should I say 4 AM this morning? We were supposed to be flying out of McCarran for Milwaukee at 4:50 PM, so at the advice of the shuttle service, we got to the airport at around 2:45. We soon noticed that the plane was now scheduled to depart at 6:10. When we asked the Frontier employees at the boarding gate what the delay was, we were told that the flight from Milwaukee had had technical difficulties. Being a nervous flyer, I asked if we would be taking the same plane and was told that we would be taking a different plane than originally scheduled. We finally boarded and got underway, and shortly after leaving Vegas we heard an announcement over the loudspeaker telling the flight attendants to get ready to return to Vegas. About ten minutes later we were told that there was a computer glitch with the plane and it had to be checked by their technicians. The next thing we heard was, "There's some good news and some bad news. You'll be going to Milwaukee, but on a different plane." Now, my questions is...was this the same plane they originally had problems with, or did they have two faulty planes. After deplaning and hanging around McCarran for another half hour or so, we got back on the plane and took off. The seats were incredibly uncomfortable and there was no food available for purchase. When we reached Milwaukee, the attendant came over the loudspeaker and said, "Ladies and Gentleman, the time is...never mind, it's either incredibly late or incredibly early." We still had an hour and half drive home and managed to get in the door around 4 AM. We were not amused. And Frontier had definitely lost the business of three disgruntled customers. We won't be flying them again and will advise our friends to avoid them at all costs. It was a diappointing end to a great vacation.

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
11,501 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Frontier Airlines was a Nightmare

I'm sorry you had just an exhausting end to your vacation, but I'm not sure what part of your problems cause you to be so upset with Frontier. We've had similar difficulties on several airlines--with air travel, junk happens sometimes.

We always call the airline before we leave for the airport to mkake sure our flight is on time. We also carry food with us so we're not at the mercy of bad weather, mechanical difficulties, etc. The more problems we can anticipapte and prepare for, the less frustrating air travel is, at least for us.

Fort Collins...
Level Contributor
904 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Frontier Airlines was a Nightmare

correct me if I'm wrong, so your plane was delayed by 2 hours and FA sucks because of it?

Fort Collins...
Level Contributor
904 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Frontier Airlines was a Nightmare

"We still had an hour and half drive home"

----------

What does that have to do with an airline? I don't mean to nit pick but too often do I see people reviewing, anything, while taking into account external factors that have nothing to do with the subject reviewed.

Bakersfield...
Level Contributor
179 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Frontier Airlines was a Nightmare

Sorry for your issues, but you Frontier was doing what they are supposed to do, which is make sure the plane is safe before take off and if they notice an issue in flight, land as soon as possible. On many different airlines, I have had delays and some much longer because of mechanical issues and sometimes because of weather. I've also had a flight turn around part way through a flight because of a major storm. It sucks and makes for a long travel day, but it does happen when flying.

It's possible one of the Frontier planes you were on was a converted Midwest plane, which is why you noticed the difference in the seats. I have never found the Frontier seats uncomfortable.

You can't blame the airline for your drive. From experience, a long drive after a long travel day is the last thing you want to do, but sometimes you have no choice if that is the closest airport or you are trying to save on airfare.

Next time you fly, call ahead so you are not at the airport as long. Look at the positive, the delay could have been on your way to Vegas instead of on your way home.

California
Level Contributor
1,380 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Frontier Airlines was a Nightmare

It does sound like a nightmare flight for you. As has been said above, I think you could run into the same problems with any airline. We recently had a nightmare flight on United Airlines, plane canceled for mechanical reasons right before boarding, and ended up getting home a day late from our planned return. A friend recently had two canceled flights in a row and a 36 hour delay on another airline, and had to miss a day of work due to this. I actually fly Frontier whenever I can because I have found them reliable in general and haven't had any problems with the comfort of their planes, but things like this happen on every airline. When it's happening, though, it is truly a miserable experience. Sorry you went through that.

Arvada, Colorado
Level Contributor
935 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Frontier Airlines was a Nightmare

I'm a little befuddled....why is this in the Denver forum?

Sun Lakes, Arizona
Level Contributor
9 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Frontier Airlines was a Nightmare

Sorry for the confusion...somehow it got on the Denver forum and I didn't know how to remove it.

WI
Destination Expert
for Wisconsin, Colorado Springs
Level Contributor
6,167 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Frontier Airlines was a Nightmare

I've flown Frontier several times and had no major issues, only short standard delays that are common with any airline. I would want them to make safety a priority as it sounded like they did in this unfortunate delayed instance for you. I've found it a comfortable flight. I think any airline can have delays. Better luck next time whoever you choose to fly with.

Edited: 15 November 2010, 15:29
Colorado
Level Contributor
11,505 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Frontier Airlines was a Nightmare

To MsMea: YOU need to contact TA and ask that this thread be moved to Air Travel.

Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
731 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Frontier Airlines was a Nightmare

Hi all,

Thank you for sharing your recent experience, MsMea. I wanted to pop in and mention that we've moved this topic to the Air Travel forum where it will hopefully be more visible to others with similar experiences or concerns.

Also, I wanted to remind everyone to make sure that they sharing their perspective in a respectful and constructive manner so as to keep things friendly and on track.

Thanks for your help everyone!

Best regards,

TA_Louise