We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Great Airline, Dreadful Food

Florida
Level Contributor
4 posts
82 reviews
Save Topic
Great Airline, Dreadful Food

November 22, 2010

Flew "Upper-Class" Miami-Heathrow-Miami. On time departure and arrival, friendly professional crew, clean interior. Negatives: long hikes from security to remote gates, lie-flat seats face away from windows at 75° angle so view is of interior cabin, personal storage space is limited to small area under feet, seat layout limits side to side to dimension. Appearance, quality, quantity of food at economy class level--beef wellington entrée was stringy & tasteless, limited food options (if you select the desert you don't get the cheese plate. Positive: lounge at Heathrow is the best I have ever seen with terrific food, service, spatial design.

Garden Bay, Canada
Destination Expert
for Air Travel, Business Travel
Level Contributor
9,908 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Great Airline, Dreadful Food

For the unknowing, and since the OP didn't say... "Upper Class" is on Virgin.

Thanks wrantar for the comments.

Penarth, United...
Level Contributor
1,328 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Great Airline, Dreadful Food

We treated ourselves to a Virgin Upper Class treat recently on the Gatwick - Havana - Gatwick route and we were very impressed. The food on our flights was superb and we had no problem with the beds facing inwards as we both nodded off within minutes of lying down! The only criticism I can offer is that they closed the bar two hours before landing on the outward trip as they had apparently run out which I'm sorry, I find impossible to believe. Not that it was of concern to us but in Upper Class, nothing should run out ... ever!

Nannup, Australia
Level Contributor
3,652 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Great Airline, Dreadful Food

<<long hikes from security to remote gates>>

What's that got to do with the airline?

Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
33,125 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Great Airline, Dreadful Food

If you are flying for the eating experience, you have far too much money.

Buy your own sandwiches or private jet. Simples...

connecticut
Level Contributor
81 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Great Airline, Dreadful Food

I am glad the quality of the food makes you complain. Never flew them myself, but Virgin is a top of the line airline.

India
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
5,585 posts
173 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Great Airline, Dreadful Food

<I am glad the quality of the food makes you complain. Never flew them myself, but Virgin is a top of the line airline.>

If you have never flown with them how can you perhaps make that comment?

At least the OP can have an opinion on Virgin, and has the right to complain/praise having actually experienced their service be it good or bad.

Leeds, United...
Destination Expert
for Leeds, Bradford
Level Contributor
22,364 posts
340 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Great Airline, Dreadful Food

Virgin Atlantic may have a reputation as a good airline, but by all accounts their Gatwick long haul fleet is looking a little tired inside and certainly needs some attention.

Bath UK
Destination Expert
for Bath
Level Contributor
2,656 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Great Airline, Dreadful Food

I'm sorry, but I do feel obliged to post the link to what is termed "the world's best complaints letter" from a disgruntled passenger to R Branson complaining about his airline food.

It's hilarious!

telegraph.co.uk/travel/travelnews/4344890/Vi…

Suddenly, your experience won't seem so bad.

LON-SIN
Destination Expert
for Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
13,845 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Great Airline, Dreadful Food

Thats got to be the funniest thing I will read this month. Mint!

kentucky
Level Contributor
5,897 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Great Airline, Dreadful Food

that's a bit old and it's been around the block a few times, but WOW, it's still funny [sad/pathetic]

The hamster comment made me chortle [again] til I nearly choked, which is what the passenger was trying to avoid!

What a great writer--wonder what ever happened/did he receive a reply from Mr. Branson?

Edited: 22 November 2010, 19:12