We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Spirit - How do they know who has paid for carryon?

Costa Rica
Level Contributor
25,655 posts
25 reviews
Save Topic
Spirit - How do they know who has paid for carryon?

I did a search and couldn't find this anywhere so hope it hasn't been covered before.

I am flying Spirit for the first time (not my choice - it's a long story) and am wondering how they know if you have paid for your carryon? Is it on your boarding pass? Is there a sticker or something? Puzzled.

I have no intention of paying for carryon and will fit whatever I need for my 9-day trip under the seat in front of me. This is definitely the airline for the guy with no bags, just a really big overcoat with a lot of pockets!

Acton, Canada
Level Contributor
11,585 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Spirit - How do they know who has paid for carryon?

My friend Hitchhiker on the Vegas forum has recommended this

scottevest.com/v3_store/Carry-on-Coat.shtml…

kinda funny.. but this is the world we live in!

Costa Rica
Level Contributor
25,655 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Spirit - How do they know who has paid for carryon?

That's the one I have seen. My question about that would be - what would you do with it once you were on the plane... fold it up and put it in the overhead bin? Does Spirit now charge you for "carryon"? Maybe fold it up and put it under your seat?

I think it's a great idea!

Juneau, Alaska
Level Contributor
366 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Spirit - How do they know who has paid for carryon?

I believe you are given a light blue carry-on tag that has your flight/date/name on it.

Its just like the gate check tags when you are flying on a smaller prop or regional jet and leave your bag at the base of the stairs prior to boarding.

atlanta
Level Contributor
4,028 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Spirit - How do they know who has paid for carryon?

You have to WEAR the vest!

Here's the deal.. you try to put it in the overhead... $$$$

Also you MUST fit "whatever" you need LEGALLY under the seat. (In other words it can't stick out to the space for your feet! And considering that Spirit has reduced pitch and space between the rows you aren't goign to have a lot of space!

Costa Rica
Level Contributor
25,655 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Spirit - How do they know who has paid for carryon?

Wow! While it sounds like a good idea, I'm not sure I would like to sit in a lumpy overcoat for a 4 or 5 hour flight! Maybe you could fold it up small enough to fit in the 16" x 14" x 12" space under the seat.

NYC/Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
34,810 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Spirit - How do they know who has paid for carryon?

Think about all the things you want to stuff into it. Pile them on the bed and see if the pile is less than the space under the seat.Then fold the empty coat. If that won't fit in that figuration than a stuffed coat ( which is bulky) will never fit. Let's face it folks, we may not like it --but you cant take a whole lot of stuff on Spirit unless you spend a few luggage bucks.

connecticut
Level Contributor
81 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Spirit - How do they know who has paid for carryon?

I am NOT trying to be rude, but may I ask why you chose Spirit? They are the LOWEST of all U.S. Airlines.

8. Re: Spirit - How do they know who has paid for carryon?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 May 2011, 07:20