We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Swiss Air, KLM or Finn air to Hong kong from Manchester

Manchester, United...
1 post
Save Topic
Swiss Air, KLM or Finn air to Hong kong from Manchester

Does any body have experience of flying to Hong Kong with any of these airlines, if so which is preferable and why? Space, food, entertainment etc

Many thanks

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
54,421 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Swiss Air, KLM or Finn air to Hong kong from Manchester

Haven't flown long haul with any of them, but based on short haul experiences I'd say Swiss or Finnair would be first and second choice with KLM in third place.

AY offers a very good product on the ground and in the air; I flew LHR-HEL late last month and was very pleased overall with all aspects of the trip. LX isn't flashy but offers solid service; the change at ZRH (if not GVA) will likely be as easy as the change at HEL with AY.

If forced to choose one over the other I'd say AY first then LX but it's a very close call. If you collect oneWorld Miles / Points go via HEL and if you're a Miles & More person then LX is the one to beat.

Haifa, Israel
Level Contributor
754 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Swiss Air, KLM or Finn air to Hong kong from Manchester

I have flown with Swiss long haul flights... they have great service, food is very good, their entertainment system (VOD) is awesome!

England, United...
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
4,845 posts
157 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Swiss Air, KLM or Finn air to Hong kong from Manchester

I last used Swiss to fly to Hong Kong, no complaints at all..

Never used Finnair, but KLM long haul would be my last choice.

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Macau
Level Contributor
7,712 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Swiss Air, KLM or Finn air to Hong kong from Manchester

If you choose Finnair you might want to bring your own substantial snacks - a friend of mine flew them Berlin - HKG in October and they were only served one small meal on the whole long haul leg! They had also just started charging for people checking in more than one piece of luggage, even if the total weight of all check-in bags was well under 20kg.

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Osaka
Level Contributor
49,410 posts
130 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Swiss Air, KLM or Finn air to Hong kong from Manchester

As others have said, KLM should be the last choice. Swiss is probably the way to go followed by Finn.

Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
5,793 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Swiss Air, KLM or Finn air to Hong kong from Manchester

Whatever airline you choose you will need to transfer - presumably in Helsinki, Zurich or here in Amsterdam - so choose an airline that offers a comfortable transfer; needless to say that Schiphol is one of the best airports in the world for transferring

I have frequently flown KLM to the Far East and Australia and never ever had a problem; plenty space, good meals and first class individual entertainment. I haven't flown Finnair (or Swiss since it went bankrupt a few years ago) but I hear that it is pretty stingy in comfort and food.

Ultimately, choose an airline that gives you the best price/timing conditions that suit your circumstances..

Travelling The World
Destination Expert
for Alghero
Level Contributor
14,320 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Swiss Air, KLM or Finn air to Hong kong from Manchester

> Ultimately, choose an airline that gives you the best price/timing conditions that suit your circumstances

I agree.

Zurich is also very good for transfers and personally I rate Swiss over KLM and Finnair, but price and convenient transfers would be my main criteria.

Stuttgart, Germany
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
7,236 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Swiss Air, KLM or Finn air to Hong kong from Manchester

Stuie, be fair you are always in Biz. class ;-) They aren't quite the same at the back

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Osaka
Level Contributor
49,410 posts
130 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Swiss Air, KLM or Finn air to Hong kong from Manchester

Of course, money means different things to different folks so only you can value the price difference vs service. If the Swiss and KLM prices, for example, are remotely close, then I personally would opt for Swiss without hesitation.

Level Contributor
215 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Swiss Air, KLM or Finn air to Hong kong from Manchester

We flew Swiss a couple of years ago as part of a Star Alliance RTW, from CDG to Lax via Zurich and thought they were fine. Meals were okay, seats were comfortable, entertainment good. Cabin crew not as good as some of the others, however we would certainly not hesitate to fly Swiss again.