We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Experience with Qantas Airpass Anyone?

Abbotsford, Canada
Level Contributor
236 posts
23 reviews
Save Topic
Experience with Qantas Airpass Anyone?

Hello Everyone,

Curious if anyone has any experience using the Qantas Airpass? Curious if there is anything I should be aware of(other than it being non-refundable) before purchasing it?

Cheers

Chris

australia
Level Contributor
2,551 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Experience with Qantas Airpass Anyone?

You will need to figure out the cities you would like to include in your trip when booking.as all flights need to be booked at the same time.

Once you select the cities you want to travel to you cannot change your mind, but you can change the date(s) for $100 each time. Would workout expensive to do that

The pricing looks good but I would compare it with a multi city booking and see what the costs are like and flight times available Also compare with Virgin pricing

The maximum number of nights you can stay for the entire trip is 19 days

You can buy fares relatively cheap here if purchased early or on sale and outside holiday periods

Qantas is the most expensive of the domestic market but have a large fleet and lots of flights on some routes. They won't leave you stranded if something goes wrong. The other airlines most likely will.

I had a play with it very cool the way it is done, if you know where you want to go and how long you want to stay there I would do it.

I selected LA to Melbourne to Cairns to Ayers Rock to Sydney to LA all up $1939 using travel dates late April early May - offseason here

Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
for Air Travel, Business Travel
Level Contributor
8,809 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Experience with Qantas Airpass Anyone?

"The maximum number of nights you can stay for the entire trip is 19 days"

Strange. Are you sure about this? I've used it a couple times on trips there, and our stays have always been three to four weeks.

Another thing to check into... when you purchase internal flights from QF after using them to fly to Australia, you don't need to purchase the pass in order to get greatly reduced internal airfares. All you have to do is get them to link the individual segments to your international ticket. You get the cheap prices without having to buy the whole pass. It may be cheaper for you.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
823 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Experience with Qantas Airpass Anyone?

I'd also do a cost comparison with the other carriers here - if you know where you want to go.

try www.webjet.com.au which will give you and idea of all the airlines prices on any given sector and date, then compare that to the airpass (keeping in mind what has been said above - Qantas is a full service airline and will give you more support if you run into troubles with delays/cancellations etc).

Webjet add a small fee to each flight - but it's good for comparing prices. I generally book direct with the airlines.

I did the opposite - travelled to the Canada/US and looked at airpasses and it was far cheaper to book each flight individually on multiple airlines, which is what I ended up doing.

australia
Level Contributor
2,551 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Experience with Qantas Airpass Anyone?

Geomedic

The 19 days is correct. the pass cannot be used > 21 days unless further money is handed over it can be extended to 3 Months but must be completed by September

Whenever I answer questions like these I actually go through the entire booking process to see how it works and any information it gives along the way.

I was fiddling with number of nights at each destination and received a message regarding length of stay when I had exceeded 19 days.

australia
Level Contributor
2,551 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Experience with Qantas Airpass Anyone?

Ignore the "completed by September" that was something else I was looking at!!

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
12,460 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Experience with Qantas Airpass Anyone?

<<<They won't leave you stranded if something goes wrong. The other airlines most likely will.>>>>

Ummm- Qantas has left me stranded more than once.

Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
for Air Travel, Business Travel
Level Contributor
8,809 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Experience with Qantas Airpass Anyone?

Interesting. Thanks for the confirmation. The last few times I visited, including 2 weeks ago, it was cheaper for me to add on a domestic trip individually as opposed to as a pass. I used JetStar for the first time and was suitably impressed with the quality of the equipment (I also wore orange for the day and disappeared into the cabin). While JetStar advertises cheaper fares all the time... I didn't find that. Plus the travel times tended to be a bit obscure.

Nannup, Australia
Level Contributor
3,652 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Experience with Qantas Airpass Anyone?

While you should always check all options don't assume that because it is 'full service' Qantas will automatically be more expensive. Just booked some flights for my son PER-SYD-MEL-PER. On the first and last sectors QF was just $10 more than the cheaper airlines when luggage and meals were factored in - and it's free drinks on the MEL-PER sector. On the SYD-MEL sector QF was straight out cheaper at the time he wanted to fly.

australia
Level Contributor
2,551 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Experience with Qantas Airpass Anyone?

The trick to Australian airfares.

Most Aussies only book fares up to 2 Months before travel date, therefore the cheaper seats can always be found if booking before then and when on sale. Cheapest days and times to travel are outside business times/days. Sunday Monday Thursday & Friday are always the most expensive. Late morning and mid afternoon re always cheaper

Now we have 4 domestic carriers on standard routes competition has forced pricing down. QF have dropped fares and put them on sale more than they did in the old days, something the ex Jetstar chief did when getting the QF top job.

Jetstar are pretty good I haven't had problems with them. They have done some shocking things regarding passenger treatment in the past but given the number of flights per day and passengers that travel these really are only minor in the scheme of things.

Jetstar are also bringing in aircraft with non-recline seats something I do not like when travelling long distances.

Point to note on some legs of the pass you may end up on a JQ flight but when I was checking it out they were all QF flights

The 3 dom flights I selected added to $889 with QF checked the same dates with Virgin and came out to $997 and Virgin don't feed you

Edited: 24 December 2010, 07:48
10. Re: Experience with Qantas Airpass Anyone?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 June 2011, 05:16