We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Alaskaair question

Richmond, Canada
Level Contributor
1,168 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Alaskaair question

Never flown with Alaskaair before.Actually not much of a flyer at all. I see on their website that if I book my airfare only from Bellingham to Vegas Now that I will get a really good price. We are not going to Vegas until July 7-14 next year, but because the price is right and also the seat selection is vast, right now, I'm tempted to book now.I really hate flying so I want to be up front and as I said there seems to be quite a few seats right now.I have checked their website and can't seem to get info on travel insurance or I guess its called cancellation insurance.If I book now and have to cancel or change date, I'm afraid that by booking this far in advance, that I won't be able to get insurance. I did read that you could get a refung if you cancel WITHIN 48 hrs of booking, but what about insurance,if I have to cancel say a week before? I can't find out ..Anybody know?I have used Allegiant and I know you can change within 48 hrs of flight but if theres a problem with the plane being delayed or anything, there is no replacement plane so you can be sol, and at least with Alaska, if they have another flight out of Seattle they will accomadate.So I want to go with them but need to have insurance in case...thanks anybody that can help me..

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
56,588 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Alaskaair question

For trip cancellation insurance, talk to the agent who arranged your house or tenant's package to see if your insurer offers travel insurance. I've found a good rate for trip cancellation with BCAA - I'm not a member but the premium was affordable for a one off holiday.

With respect to the airline's rules about cancellation or changing the travel dates, you may find that flexible fares will allow changes with no or a small fee payable - but the fare will very likely be considerably higher than a deeply discounted fare.

You can make a dummy booking with AS to see what the fare rules are for the journey you plan; carry on as if you were going to book and pay but before you give your credit card number you'll be asked to tick a box saying to agree to the terms and conditions of the fare purchase. Click on the T&Cs and see what is offered with the fare you book.

Are the flights you're considering on AS metal or codeshares operated by Horizon Air?

Nashville, TN
Level Contributor
6,070 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Alaskaair question

You can find information about Trip Protection insurance on the Alaskan Air website under the More Tab.

Iowa
Level Contributor
10,206 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Alaskaair question

Like everything else there are terms and conditions or restrictions with the Alaska trip protection insurance. Have you read this page....

alaskaair.com/as/…travel-insurance.asp

I'm not sure all your thoughts are correct about changes within 48 hours.

Keep in mind, your dates are 6+ months away. You have plenty of time. Maybe wait until Allegiant opens their schedule for July and see what they offer.

Iowa
Level Contributor
10,206 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Alaskaair question

Actually, if you are looking at the $189 nonstop flights I take back what I said about waiting for Allegiant. I'd book it!!

I assume you will have refundable hotel reservations? In which case the $189 fare is barely worth buying insurance for, IMO.

Richmond, Canada
Level Contributor
1,168 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Alaskaair question

yes the fares are really cheap now and I'm temped to book, even if it is 7 months away.But I guess my real concern is the seating.If I book now I assume I get a better seat? More up front? Once I do book am I able to change the seats if I don't like them?With Allegiant, I don't get an assigned seat, but once at the airport I have never had a problem asking for a seat up front and getting it. With Alaska you do get a pre assigned seat don't you without an extra charge? I thought I heard that if you don't like the seat they assign you ,you can make a change right way on the website.Is that correct? Sorry to ask so many questions but I really am a novice flyer, and this whole ordeal baffles me!!

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
56,588 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Alaskaair question

That inexpensive $US189 fare is non-refundable; any changes made will incur a $US75 - 100 fee. If you wish to check a bag you'll pay $US20 for the first bag for each sector flown, but that's not uncommon for many airlines these days.

When I made a dummy booking for a few of the direct flights, the seats that showed as available early in the process vanished later on - the nearest to the front of the plane was row 12, with the seats forward of that row showing as unavailable for selection.

Perhaps before you commit you could give AS a shout and ask if the seats forward of row 12 are booked or blocked for future selection. With respect to the airline's travel insurance, it seems (after a quick look) that it's available only to US residents.

Abbotsford, Canada
Level Contributor
237 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Alaskaair question

Hello Anamerty,

I fly Alaska all the time and am always happy with their service. The reason for only being able to find seats no closer than row 12 is that those are for full flex price or their Mileage Plan MVP(thier version of top tier frequent fliers) seats.

Book online. Once you get your seats you can go back and change your seats as many times as you likes. All you have to do is go under the My trips tab.

Also become a member of their mileage plan. Best program around that I am a member of. They offer bonus miles for many first time purchases online or services you use for the first time(online booking, online checkin, hotel booking, heck even for signing up) Just signup before you book for the first time.

With Allegiant, you aren't really SOL but you will be dealyed. This past February me and my brother were going to Vegas and the Allegiant flight we were supposed to take at 11:45 am was delayed until 4:30pm because they had to fly a part in from Vegas. From my understanding all planes and parts have to be flown in from there. Luckily I was able to book a flight out of Seattle on Alaska Air that same day and we arrived in Vegas before we were to leave from Bellingham on Allegiant(we were only spending two days in Vegas so we would have lost a whole day of we waited for the plane in Bellingham).

In regards to their travel insurance I would give ALsaka a call to make sure you can purchase it. As travellerplus said it looks like it is only for US residents.

Hope this helps

Cheers

Chris

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
10,857 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Alaskaair question

But I guess my real concern is the seating.If I book now I assume I get a better seat? More up front?

<<<<<<<<<<

As stated, the seats upfront are blocked right now for Alaska's elite flyers. However, if you check in online at exactly the 24 hour point, I have never had any trouble getting a much better seat closer to the front.

Two of the kids had flights on Alaska during the last week or so, and I was able to move them up from row 22 to row 7 aisle during online check-in.

9. Re: Alaskaair question

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 June 2011, 06:23