We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Delta Airlines Help

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
852 posts
480 reviews
Save Topic
Delta Airlines Help

My husband and I were due to fly out to Tampa today from Glasgow via Newark. Without going into huge detail the flight was cancelled and Continental have rebooked us on Delta flights on Wednesday 29th from heathrow to Atlanta and on to Tampa.

I was told to go online when we got home and assign seats to our itineraries. I managed to get into my husbands and request seats although I don't know if they have been successful but the website keeps crashing when I try to access mine. Is there a number on which I can contact Delta (I can only find an 0871 number for the UK which is simply too costly)

I would simply leave it until Wednesday when we get to Heathrow but I really want us to be seated together hence the reason I'd like to see if Delta can help me out on the phone. (The live chat thing doesn't work either)

I'd appreciate any help. It's been a nightmare day :(

Thanks

Maryland
Destination Expert
for Las Vegas, Washington DC, County Donegal, Western Ireland
Level Contributor
52,979 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Delta Airlines Help

As you're probably aware, the airlines here are dealing with tens of thousands of people who had to have flights rescheduled. Maybe hundreds of thousands?

Anyway, the web site keeps slowing up or dropping people because of the demand, and the phone lines are impossible.

I was able to look at their web site long enough to see the only groups of 2 seats left on either of the LHR-ATL flights on Wednesday are only available to elite members of Delta's skymiles club.

I don't know how expensive an "0871" number is, but that may be your only option; to call and see if you can find a sympathetic agent to unblock the preferred seating. But I'm not even sure they can.

Otherwise it's down to seeing if they can help you at the gate before departure, or relying on the kindness of other passengers to switch seats with you.

Juneau, Alaska
Level Contributor
366 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Delta Airlines Help

if you have twitter, send a message to @DeltaAssist

they are awesome!!! and they are "capable" gate-agent type folks, not just someone in a PR office.

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
852 posts
480 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Delta Airlines Help

Thanks for your help guys. The website is ok just now and I've managed to get us seats together (fingers crossed they don't get reassigned).

We've never flown Delta before so I appreciate your suggestion about twitter - I'm not technical enough to have a twitter account :) but would have set one up if needed.

I'm an Air France platinum member though and the site has let me input my FF number so hopefully I may get some credit although looks like hubby's will miles won't be able to be claimed this time as he only has a Continental FF card.

Never mind, as long as we get there safe(even if it will be two and a half days late) and well that's all that counts.

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
10,857 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Delta Airlines Help

Since you were booked on CO originally, and they rebooked you on DL, it's highly possible your husband can still receive FF credit on CO. Save all boarding passes, itineraries, etc. for this flight and try to get this credit.

Edited: 28 December 2010, 16:17
Chester, United...
Level Contributor
2,700 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Delta Airlines Help

Glad you've got things sorted now. But just in case others need the info the only UK number for Delta is 0871 22 11 222 and calls cost 12p per minute from a normal landline.

Or if you've got Skype on your PC or mobile, you can call the USA toll free number 800-221-1212 for free.

Or use one of the cheap UK-USA calling plans to call the USA number 001 404-765-5000. I use Superline.co.uk and my calls to the USA cost 2.5p per minute from any phone - landline or mobile.

Edited: 28 December 2010, 18:25
Juneau, Alaska
Level Contributor
366 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Delta Airlines Help

I believe that DL will honor your status with Air France.. I'd definitely press them for the Medallion member telephone numbers!!

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
29,627 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Delta Airlines Help

My understanding is that you will be able to accrue miles on the airline actually flown. This means you will get your Air France miles for the Delta flight and if you have status, their and SkyTeam's benefits. Unfortunately, your husband won't get CO miles for a flight rebooked to Delta/SkyTeam.

This happened to me a few years back, when my AA flight PDX to DFW with connection to CDG was delayed (& eventually cancelled). I got myself rebooked to Chicago on United to connect with AA there to CDG. No AA credit for PDX-ORD, but I did get United miles. Interestingly, someone else traveling on an AA award ticket also ended up on the same flight, and still got UA miles even though his ticket was "free".

8. Re: Delta Airlines Help

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 June 2011, 05:23