We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Standing room only

Nashville, TN
Level Contributor
6,067 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Standing room only

You get what you pay for.

aolnews.com/2010/…

Travelling The World
Destination Expert
for Alghero, Melton Mowbray, Elora
Level Contributor
15,442 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Standing room only

> Anderson said he plans to take the issue up with the Federal Aviation Administration.

LOL!

kentucky
Level Contributor
5,883 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Standing room only

total horse manure!

pax could have bought bigger seat; didn't

pax could have been req'd to stay in seat entire flight; didn't [in this case]

pax could have stayed in his seat, but didn't want to; it was uncomfortable

pax didn't hurt anyone else or cause a safety issue; chose to stand

waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah

Nannup, Australia
Level Contributor
3,652 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Standing room only

Could one of our American friends remind me what the rules about allocating seats to obese passengers are? This is an almost identical scenario except that the problem is vertical rather than horizontal. I'm only 6'2" (1.87m) and I struggle to get comfortable in a 32" pitch seat so I sympathise with Mr Anderson. It is a fact that people generally are getting taller and unfortunately it is also a fact that some airlines are failing to recognise this as they reduce seat pitch.

I pay for exit row seats where available and I don't fly LCCs...........

Travelling The World
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
15,442 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Standing room only

> it is also a fact that some airlines are failing to recognise this as they reduce seat pitch.

The reason that airlines are reducing seat pitch is that those same taller people will no longer pay as much for their seats, so airlines need to cram more seats in to make money.

Want more leg room? Pay for it.

UK
Level Contributor
285 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Standing room only

I don't see why 'tall' people should be expected to pay more for extra leg room?

It's not as though they've had a 'say' in how tall they get,where as 'wide' people in general,have had a say in what size they've become.

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
705 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Standing room only

Hello

too bad for him. do research before flying. then buy what you need and if you don't want to pay for it, too bad. take the bus next time, as i'm sure there lots of room there (lol).

mark

Nashville, TN
Level Contributor
6,067 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Standing room only

"where as 'wide' people in general,have had a say in what size they've become."

Not always. I've got relatives that have weight issus due to a mal or nonfunctioning Thyroid (family genetic trait). Believe me, there's nothing they'd like more than to be able to lose some weight.

Travelling The World
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
15,442 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Standing room only

> I don't see why 'tall' people should be expected to pay more for extra leg room?

The point is, if airlines were to offer more generous seat pitches as standard we would *all* have to pay more as they would need to make up the revenue lost by eliminating rows of seats.

UK
Level Contributor
285 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Standing room only

Vegas-guide,

I Know that isn't always the case-that's why I said 'wide people in general'. But apologies anyway..

Just take this as an example-

A 6'5 person not earning a lot of cash wants to take a holiday,but can't fit into an economy seat,and can't afford to upgrade.

So just because he's tall,it means he can't travel?

Now those of you who can easily afford upgrades maybe don't realise that this is a reality for some people.

Nashville, TN
Level Contributor
6,067 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Standing room only

"this is a reality for some people"

It's a reality for a lot of people. Unfortunately, unless the airlines raise their fares, it won't happen. In fact, with todays business mentality of getting every cent they can while they have a chance, It probably wouldn't even happen then. They'd just raise the fares and keep squeezing people in.