We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ryanair/Stanstead

England
Level Contributor
729 posts
67 reviews
Save Topic
Ryanair/Stanstead

Hi,

Visiting Lanzarote in June and flying with Ryanair for the 1st time due to cost (saving about £200!) and the time of the flights are ideal. However my wife and i have a few concerns... we have flown Easyjet a few times over the years and always book 'Speedyboard' and to be fair to Easyjet they ALWAYS make sure that the SB's get on 1st. We have paid for the equivalent with Ryanair but have heard stories that they dont call the SB's and sometimes it can become a 'free for all'... which is the reason why we pay the £3 or whatever the price is in the 1st place lol.

Additionally is there a baggage drop off system at Stanstead and if so how does it work?

Cheers

Dean

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
39,340 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Ryanair/Stanstead

I'm always last to board a plane and I never use speedy boarding or whatever means that Ryanair and EZY use to scam money from you so can't help you there. Half the time the scrumb is caused by your fellow cattle, sorry passengers, who seem to think that it is necessaary to stand all around the gate like a baying crowd after some sex offender.

As for the bag drop, you need to check in online before you get to the airport (at least 4 hours prior to flying) and get to the bag drop at least 40 minutes before flight time although never leave it that late! You should also check in for your return flight as long as it is not more than 15 days later otherwise you will be searching on your hols for an internet cafe with a printer.

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
14,045 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Ryanair/Stanstead

I've heard those stories as well but I fly Ryanair all the time and I have never experienced that passengers with priority boarding weren't boarding first. Last time I flew from Rome we were boarded by bus and the 5 or 6 passengers with PB were boarded first in a separate bus.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
823 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Ryanair/Stanstead

Ronaldo, I'm with you. I've never worked out why people have to get on and off first.

I can't stand being in that scrum waiting to get on...I'd rather be sitting in a boarding lounge able to walk around and stretch my legs than in a cramped aircraft seat fighting with the masses around me to stow my luggage etc.

Tiger Airways in Australia are also flogging the same service. I really don't understand the appeal.

London, England
Level Contributor
1,319 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Ryanair/Stanstead

When I've used Priority Boarding it has always been enforced. It certainly is at Stansted.

It's certainly not a scam. People can choose to pay for it or not.

I sometimes do pay for Speedy or Priority Boarding as I am tall and I want to get the seats with extra legroom. Certainly for a flight of 4 hours or so to Lanzarote it would be well worth paying for.

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
14,045 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Ryanair/Stanstead

>>Ronaldo, I'm with you. I've never worked out why people have to get on and off first.

Extra legroom. At least that's the main reason I always try to get on early. Also, as I usually fly to and from the UK, there's passport control to think of and if you get off last you can easily look at an added 20 minutes or so to get through.

Ireland
Level Contributor
2 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Ryanair/Stanstead

can anyone tell me the cheapest way five of us can get from Stanstead to London Victioria on Apr 6?

Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
32,923 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Ryanair/Stanstead

enixham - it's probably better if you post a new question. And in the London forum.

Even better - read the many questions on this topic that have been asked, and answered, previously.

Cheapest is almost always bus, by the way.

Norwich, United...
Level Contributor
575 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Ryanair/Stanstead

Ryanair charge £5 for speedy boarding. You can even purchase this privilage near the gate. It has always been enforced when I have flown with Ryanair. Last week I returned from Rome and the priority boarders certainly did get priority. Its against my principals to add another £5 each to our flight, but next time I am thinking of doing it after last week. I like sitting at the front of the plane so do queue early. It has to be worth the £5 just to divert from the scrum experienced last week!

Dont forget to check-in online before you go to the airport or Ryanair will charge you £40 at the desk to do so.

Monkey6870

Ireland
Level Contributor
2 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Ryanair/Stanstead

I booked a local taxi in the London area I am travelling to. This works out more expensive than public transport, but it is hassle free.

Bingley, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
33,014 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Ryanair/Stanstead

"I booked a local taxi in the London area I am travelling to. This works out more expensive than public transport, but it is hassle free."

Is that "more expensive" as in it was slightly more expensive to dine at the Ritz than MacDonalds?