We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How to find 10 hour direct flights out of SFO?

Menlo Park...
Level Contributor
62 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
How to find 10 hour direct flights out of SFO?

My wife and I are planning our yearly Aug trip. We are locked into 8 days total so time is a factor. We want to fly from SFO to any locale in the world but it has to be around 10 hours or so so we can spend at least 6 days in our destination.

Last year we went to Peru and hiked from Salkantay to Machu PIcchu and we like to do another active vacation though it doesn't have to be as strenuous. Peru was on the edge because the return trip was quite long.

I couldn't seem to find any online tools that help locate actual flights that incorporated travel time. Most sites just convert the linear distance to flight time. For example, one site listed Iceland as a 7.5 hour flight but you can't actually do it for under 20+ hours.

Suggestions on how to go about this? Thanks.

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
10,857 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How to find 10 hour direct flights out of SFO?

Are you asking about nonstop flights?

I suggest you use a good search engine, and limit results to nonstop flights. This will give you the total travel time. Just start plugging in cities:

http://matrix.itasoftware.com/

I don't know of a site, though there's probably one somewhere, that allows you to search just by travel time.

Scotland
Level Contributor
1,332 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How to find 10 hour direct flights out of SFO?

It certainly doesn't take over 20 hours to get to Iceland from SFO - Icelandair have direct flights to KEF from a number of US cities.

It takes about 10 hours to get to LHR, so why not draw a circle with SFO in the middle and LHR on the perimeter? Rough, but not bad for your purposes.

Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
32,685 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How to find 10 hour direct flights out of SFO?

Buy yourself a globe of the world. (an inflatable one might come in handy for your trips).

Notice how, if you fly west from SFO, it might take 20 hours to get to Iceland.

But, if you travel east,it takes a lot less.

You might want to investigate flying north or south, as that would give you a lot more land-mass to work with. Again, the globe should make this clear.

Seattle, Washington
Destination Expert
for Seattle
Level Contributor
6,118 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: How to find 10 hour direct flights out of SFO?

Remember 10 hours in one direction might be 9 or 11 in the other, due to winds. For example, SFO-LHR is shown at 10:05 eastbound, 10:50 westbound. It's even more dramatic going over the Pacific.

Online timetables like the Star Alliance or Oneworld tools will show total elapsed time, counting layovers between segments for connecting flights.

For "direct" flights try oagtravel.com/Flight-Bytes/Where-Can-I-Fly-D… then enter SFO, then use ITA (mentioned above) to show you the total elapsed time for selected cities/days. However, note that when OAG says "direct" it means no plane changes, rather than nonstops.

Edited: 10 January 2011, 21:43
Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
for Air Travel, Business Travel
Level Contributor
8,916 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: How to find 10 hour direct flights out of SFO?

You can always hop up to Calgary and/or Vancouver. Short flight. Beautiful mountains.

Chiang Khong...
Level Contributor
4,792 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: How to find 10 hour direct flights out of SFO?

HI

you forgot to take into account the time difference if you fly east or west.

if you fly west to japan only a 10 hr flight you cross the internation date line and arrive much later at local tiime but when yo fly back yo get to SFO before you leave.

If you are flying north or south out of SFO then times are the same.

I would think an early morning or late night flight might get you more time than worring about flight time.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
54,946 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: How to find 10 hour direct flights out of SFO?

Flying time from SEA to KEF is seven and a half hours, not bad in the great scheme of things. But add to that the time needed to get from SFO to SEA, allow for the connection and that's going to be another four hours (total) plus or minus 45 - 60 minutes if done on the quick.

But it could be worth it. If oldskoolboarder and his missus would like to visit a place very unlike Menlo Park they could do worse than head to Iceland; six days is just about enough time for a quick dash around the Ring Road for an all too brief look at an incredibly interesting country.

Level Contributor
5,896 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: How to find 10 hour direct flights out of SFO?

Not sure if you already considered non-stop within 10 hours +/- to Paris (Air France) and London (British Airways, Virgin Atlantic).

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
823 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: How to find 10 hour direct flights out of SFO?

If you are only after a direct flight:

This is a list of the international airlines and destinations from the SFO wikipedia page (natrually don't take it as gospel!)

Aeroméxico: Mexico City

Air Berlin Seasonal: Düsseldorf

Air Canada: Calgary, Toronto-Pearson, Vancouver, Seasonal: Montréal-Trudeau E

Air China: Beijing

Air France: Paris-Charles de Gaulle

Air New Zealand: Auckland

Alaska Airlines: Puerto Vallarta, San José del Cabo

All Nippon Airways: Tokyo-Narita

Asiana Airlines: Seoul-Incheon

British Airways: London-Heathrow

Cathay Pacific: Hong Kong

China Airlines: Taipei-Taoyuan

Delta Air Lines Tokyo-Narita

Emirates: Dubai

EVA Air: Taipei-Taoyuan

Japan Airlines: Tokyo-HanedaA

KLM: Amsterdam

Korean Air: Seoul-Incheon

LAN: Perú Lima

Lufthansa: Frankfurt, Munich

Philippine Airlines: Manila, Guam

Qantas: Sydney

Singapore Airlines: Singapore

Swiss International Air Lines: Zürich

TACA: San Salvador

United Airlines: Beijing, Frankfurt, Hong Kong, Ho Chi Minh City, London-Heathrow, Mexico City, Osaka-Kansai, Seoul-Incheon, Shanghai-Pudong, Sydney, Tokyo-Narita, Seasonal: Cancún, Puerto Vallarta, San José del Cabo G, Ontario, Victoria

Virgin America: Cancún , Toronto-Pearson

Virgin Atlantic Airways: London-Heathrow A

WestJet Seasonal: Calgary, Edmonton, Vancouver

I'd do a google search on flight time from San Francsisco to XXXX on the ones that appeal and work out if they are under 10 hours.

the airline listing on the SFO airport website might also help you out

flysfo.com/web/…index.html

Also - if you were willing to fly the 1 hour to LAX (and associated layover time) you'd probably have even more options than above.

good luck!

Edited: 11 January 2011, 02:32
Abbotsford, Canada
Level Contributor
236 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: How to find 10 hour direct flights out of SFO?

Hello oldskoolboarder,

By the sounds of it you enjoy the outdoors. Alaska might be a good choice.

Alaska Airlines flies direct to Anchorage at 7:40pm arriving at 11:18pm. This could give you 7 full days of vacation because of the late departure time.

I've never been so I can't speak for Alaska itself but I hear lots of good things about it.

Safe travels.

Chris