We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

BA Computer Problems

Anchorage, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Anchorage, Zermatt
Level Contributor
17,973 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
BA Computer Problems

Hi, BA is, apparently, having problems with their computer and passengers with bookings made by partner airlines on BA are not able to access their reservations through BA's Manage My Booking. As this is how a passenger books their seat, checks in online, orders special meals, etc., it can impact your travel planning. BA, so far, are not particularly responsive to questions about this problems and there is no date for resolution. The flyertalk miles and points forum has a thread about the issue and a BA staffer reads the posts there. She indicates she is checking on the issue but no info yet.

Is anyone here having problems with the BA MMB website?

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
9,383 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: BA Computer Problems

No problems with MMB here, can change seat assignments and everything too.

I don't think you can change seat assignments for flights on any airline but BA in MMB. It's been a while but I vaguely recall being able to access seatmaps for Qantas flights booked with a BA flight number. Usually I just go to whichever airline is operating and do it that way, not too many mixed carrier bookings here.

Chester, United...
Level Contributor
2,700 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: BA Computer Problems

<<BA, so far, are not particularly responsive to questions about this problems and there is no date for resolution.>>

According to a thread on Flyertalk, the planned fix hasn't worked and the next date for a fix is 26th January.

flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executiv…

Anchorage, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Anchorage, Zermatt
Level Contributor
17,973 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: BA Computer Problems

Hi, Speedbird223, is your booking one made wih another airline or one made with miles from another airline? These are the ones that seem to be a problem.

Thanks, CheshireCat, I didn't see an update on flyertalk and didn't receive a notice that an update was posted. I fly on the 25th so the 26th is a day late for me!! So far BA has given out several dates for a fix but none have come to pass - these I get from Alaska who, to give credit where credit is due, are always helpful and courteous which is more than I can say for BA's US staff. YIKES, I've never been treated with such rudeness as one customer service rep the other night! I didn't call during all their weather problems, etc. so that isn't why - this was about 72 hours ago. It was so bad that I seriously wondered if I should change my flights to another carrier out of fear of terrible hours on board!

Hope all find flights to their liking and have happy travels!

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
9,383 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: BA Computer Problems

Just BA.com booked flights on BA. Although you referred to problems with specific flights I thought your question at the end was asking about the MMB system in general....sorry!

Anchorage, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Anchorage, Zermatt
Level Contributor
17,973 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: BA Computer Problems

Just an update - BA has not responded to several e-mails over the last month except one to their internet support staff. This is extremely poor customer service! Calls to the US reservation number continue to reach mostly unhelpful and rude staff. However, calls to the internet support number reach polite and helpful staff (one in particular, Willard) who at least apologize for the inconvenience.

The website Manage My Booking is still not working for anyone whose reservations are booked through a partner airline. I don' t know if travel agent bookings are working with a booking reference. It appears to be working for flights booked through BA.

It's now been over a month and BA are unable to repair the problem in their computer system. Apparently, the date is sometime next week and that will mean it took them six weeks - that amount of time is truly sad in this modern world. It's not very impressive that they can't fix such a thing for the convenience of their customers! Of course, if customers aren't BA's first priority after safety, they will be following other airlines into the bankruptcy courts.

BA lost at least one full fare international business class booking as a result of this problem. My friend was willing to pay full fare if she could book a seat next to mine but she lost all faith in BA when we couldn't get into my reservation for so long and booked with another carrier. She is a business woman who credits much of her tremendous success to hard work developing her customer service skills so doesn't tolerate fools in this area.

I'm off soon on quite a few BA international flights in the CW and CE cabins over the next month - hard work all year so I deserved what I hope will a treat! Let's hope the remaining opportunities for BA to impress with their customer service are not so disappointing. I'll post a review of their service when I return.

encinitas,calif.
Level Contributor
973 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: BA Computer Problems

i have been dealing with this problem since before xmas. i have called 3 times, peopllesee that i have a problem and report it but nothing is geting done. i have emailed 3 times and all i get is a reference number saying they will work on this when they have time. i called tech, support and they said yes there is a problem and they hope it is fixed by the end of the month... not very helpful...but now you know you are not the only one. its been happening for over a month for me..

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
9,383 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: BA Computer Problems

BA lost at least one full fare international business class booking as a result of this problem. My friend was willing to pay full fare if she could book a seat next to mine but she lost all faith in BA when we couldn't get into my reservation for so long and booked with another carrier. She is a business woman who credits much of her tremendous success to hard work developing her customer service skills so doesn't tolerate fools in this area.

Cutting off nose to spite face? Can't you call BA and get the special meals sorted out and seat assignments? Those are one time things...or why didn't your friend just book directly with BA? It seems a bit daft that you aren't going to travel together (and the associated inconvenience of that) because of this relatively minor inconvenience. That's before you factor in that Club World remains of the best business class products between the US and Europe.

Although it might be frustrating for you at this time MMB remains one of the most user friendly and comprehensive booking management systems of the airlines I travel with.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
56,902 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: BA Computer Problems

Even as a fan of - but not an apologist for - BA, I find their North American call centre one of the least-desirable areas in dealing with the airline. Of the agents with whom I've spoken over the years, I'm sad to say the great majority of them seem to stick to a script or have very little knowledge about the day to day operations of the airline and its booking processes.

Given that NoAm is a massive market and the desire for bums on seats and revenue in the bank, I'm continually puzzled at BA's lack of action to this problem, as I know I'm not the only one who finds the phone agents not always as keen as they should be.

In the past I've found (when MMB has the 'ump) that clearing cookies and emptying the cache may reduce or eliminate the problem. Not always but sometimes.

Anchorage, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Anchorage, Zermatt
Level Contributor
17,973 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: BA Computer Problems

No, speedbird, this wasn't cutting off nose to spite face. I had convinced her to try BA and after we wasted three weeks trying to get the computer problems sorted out, were treated extremely rudely by US reservation staff, etc., she determined she would not fly BA regardless. If anything she voted with her credit card and another airline got the full fare.

I am still on BA and am hoping the BA I knew some years ago still exists somewhere in the company. I lived in London for many, many years and loved BA and their superb customer service. I truly do not find anything resembling that service in my interactions with BA over the past few months. Let's keep our fingers crossed that the BA of old emerges in the customer service at the airports, in the lounges and on board over the next month.

Thanks, travellerplus, for the tip about cookies, etc. but BA have acknowledged that they are causing the problem. Alaska confirmed this and explained (very politely) that it is affecting at least all reservations made through BA's partners.

You might want to read through some of the threads on the BAEC forum on flyertalk. There are a growing number of dissatisfied CW customers and even some F folks who are not happy of late.

I'll be as open minded as any member of the flying public can be when I first meet up with BA at LAX and onward. I'm one of those who regularly reports great service to airlines and other companies so I don't just gripe. When I've returned, I'll post my experiences and I truly hope they outweigh what has been a pretty sad one over the last weeks.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
9,383 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: BA Computer Problems

You might want to read through some of the threads on the BAEC forum on flyertalk. There are a growing number of dissatisfied CW customers and even some F folks who are not happy of late.

I posted regularly on Flyertalk for many years, people have been pissing and moaning about F and J for years, much of it for rather ridiculous reasons. Flyertalk is little different to Tripadvisor in that many people go there for one-off pointless or unjustified rants.