We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Still waiting for AerLingus & Ryanair refund after Xmas Snow

Westport, Ireland
Level Contributor
100 posts
48 reviews
Save Topic
Still waiting for AerLingus & Ryanair refund after Xmas Snow

I booked two flights with Aerlingus and Ryanair to travel from London to DUblin on the 21st, all flights were cancelled, I applied for the refunds online as per instruction, but neither have been returned to my account as of yet.. Has anyone else had to wait this long?? I know AerLingus say it could take up to 30 days, but Ryanair claim to be able to pay back in 14 days.... Would love to know if anyone else is still waiting before I call either airline at 10p a minute!!

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
338 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Still waiting for AerLingus & Ryanair refund after Xmas Snow

You might like to remind both airlines that they are required to refund your fare in full within 7 days under EC 261/2004 Article 8:

Article 8

Right to reimbursement or re-routing

1. Where reference is made to this Article, passengers shall be offered the choice between:

(a) - reimbursement within seven days, by the means provided for in Article 7(3), of the full cost of the ticket at the price at which it was bought, for the part or parts of the journey not made, and for the part or parts already made if the flight is no longer serving any purpose in relation to the passenger's original travel plan

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
38,440 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Still waiting for AerLingus & Ryanair refund after Xmas Snow

I'm still waiting for Easyjet to refund my dosh after six weeks and two e-mails without reply.Shouold be done automatically.

Westport, Ireland
Level Contributor
100 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Still waiting for AerLingus & Ryanair refund after Xmas Snow

That was quick, thanks for that!! Just checked my sisters email inbox to see an email from Ryanair to say refund request was recieved, but they are taking longer than expected!! At least they emailed!! No such luck from Aer Lingus!!

Pontyclun, United...
Level Contributor
23 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Still waiting for AerLingus & Ryanair refund after Xmas Snow

Hi, my husband and I were due to fly to Dubai on 19th December for Christmas & New Year but unfortunately like so many others our holiday was cancelled. Virgin told us we would get our refund by the Friday 24th December and in all fairness the deposit was back in my husbands bank account on the 24th. Its the remainder of the cost of the holiday we are waiting for, which we paid by bank transfer. After many, many calls to Virgin, we were told that a cheque was posted 23rd December, first class post. This has not arrived. January 5th we received a cancellation invoice from Virgin dated 22nd December but no cheque. Monday 10th January telephoned Virgin again and they have told us that they have cancelled the first cheque and issued another one. We are still waiting. What do we do next? Are we getting phobed off? Are other travellers experiencing the same problems with Virgin?

Farnborough, United...
Level Contributor
1 post
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Still waiting for AerLingus & Ryanair refund after Xmas Snow

Yes, I had my flight cancelled on 22nd, I immediately filled in the necessary forms to get a refund, waited 2 weeks, called Customer Services, they said they had no record of my claim. They said they would deal with it straight away and the money should be in my account very soon. Just called again today (18th January) and was told there is no phone number I can contact, I would have to write to them or fax (no fasx machine here). What do I do next? I'm going to see if there is another number I can ring. What a joke! I will never use Ryanair again, I have to say - I was warned about them.

Dublin, Ireland
1 post
Save Reply
6. Re: Still waiting for AerLingus & Ryanair refund after Xmas Snow

My husband and i were heading to Vegas on 1st Dec 2010 for a weeks holiday when after 3 hours waiting on runway were told that all flights were cancelled. We filled out the refund form on the Aer Lingus site. After numerous of calls being told that it would be in our account asap we still haven't received a refund, unfortunately we have booked new Vegas with Aer Lingus and are due to fly soon. Anyone have any advice on how to get our refund as now we are worried this will happen again due to the cabin crew disputes going on at the moment. HELP!

London, United...
Level Contributor
17 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Still waiting for AerLingus & Ryanair refund after Xmas Snow

Under EU regulations they have to provide a refund within 7 days, not the 30 they stated on their website at the time. Here is the information you need to submit a complaint to the body responsible for overseeing airlines in Ireland. It contains and online form, etc... a bit of a lengthy process but worthwhile: aviationreg.ie/Complaint_procedure/Default.4…

Dublin, Ireland
1 post
Save Reply
8. Re: Still waiting for AerLingus & Ryanair refund after Xmas Snow

Could anyone please give me a number to contact Aer Lingus about the refund matter. I could not find it on their website. Many thanks.

Kiel, Germany
Level Contributor
10 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Still waiting for AerLingus & Ryanair refund after Xmas Snow

Hi

You could try to obtain a refund under EU Regulation 261/2004 at website adress …europa.eu/transport/…air_en.htm which will provide you with an "Air Passenger Rights - EU Complaint Form which should be sent to a National Enforcement Body (http://apr.europa.eu). The address for Ireland is Commission for Aviation Regulation, 3rd. Floor, Alexandra House, Earlsfort Terrace, Dublin 2, Eire. I had my flight (Dub / Hamburg) concelled the day before (text message to my mobile) and was advised that I could rebook Free Of Charge.. Surprise surprise, my credit card was charged approx. €190 for the new booking. I have emailed them, no reply and the fax number makes no cvonnection (I am still in Germany) and the Customer Care Unit in Dublin must be manned by deaf people. So after nearly six weeks I am still tryiong to get my money back for a flight I did not cancel and which according to Aer Lingus should have been free.

U.K.
Destination Expert
for Belgrade
Level Contributor
14,340 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Still waiting for AerLingus & Ryanair refund after Xmas Snow

I do wonder how the likes of Ryanair get away with this, folk here keep quoting EU regulations but what good are regulations if the airlines don't adhere to them?

It's about time the aviation authority or whatever governing body acts 'watch' over this started applying heavy fines. Without heavy fines and negative publicity these airlines will keep on dragging their feet.

Also about time they banned thse premium rate telephone numbers where companies make money by keeping yopu on hold.

To answer your question OP, Yes, I know three different sets of folk still waiting after two months, Not Aerlingus but Ryanair and Easyjet..

Stoofer