We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

BA to Iberia at Heathrow info

Berkeley, CA
Level Contributor
604 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
BA to Iberia at Heathrow info

The recent thread on BA's computers current inability to retrieve info from partner computers made me think that maybe this info concerning BA to Iberia might be of interest to someone someday.

Recently we flew SFO to Granada Spain, with BA to LHR and Iberia from LHR to Madrid and then onto Granada as BA codeshares. When we checked in 24 hours ahead, we were unable to check in for the Iberia flights. BA wasn't able to check us in at SFO either-apparently, even tho BA owns Iberia, their computers are incompatible. We were told to get our Iberia boarding passes from the BA transfer desk at LHR, which they implied was in the main airport. However, the transfer desks are in the transit area, so you needn't worry about all the immigration hassles, altho you do have to transfer from terminal 5 to terminal 3.

The line at the BA desk was so long that we would have missed our flight if we had waited on it like we were told at SFO. Instead, we went to the much shorter Iberia line, and they checked us in and gave us our passes.

So, if you're on a BA codeshare with Iberia, and can't check in ahead of time, that is apparently normal, Don't go to the BA desk at LHR, go to the Iberia desk and get your passes there.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
56,181 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: BA to Iberia at Heathrow info

BA doesn't own IB, they have a JSA (joint service agreement) and are working towards even more cohesive interlining, along with AA.

But I can understand your frustration, as a codeshare should (stress that word) mean a seamless movement between flights. Scroll down in post number one in the link here flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executiv… and you'll see you're not alone.

Back in October I booked (at ba.com) LHR-HEL outbound on AY and inbound on BA metal. Even with a PNR from AY I had a hellofa time checking in at finnair.com for the outbound sector as the site didn't want to recognise the flight.

Anyway, good to know there's a workaround, talb, so thanks for letting us know.

Nannup, Australia
Level Contributor
3,652 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: BA to Iberia at Heathrow info

Similarly, I am booked to fly London-Madrid on an Iberia flight number but on a BA aircraft (strikes permitting) and the Iberia website won't allow internet check-in for such code-shares.

Bingley, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
33,142 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: BA to Iberia at Heathrow info

From other reports BA are apparently trying to upgrade their systems to make the codesharing work and they are attempting a fix this week

And as of today BA & Iberia are part of International Consolidated Airlines Group - but they are separate within that grouping

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
30,731 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: BA to Iberia at Heathrow info

The BA merger with Iberia took effect last Friday (Jan 21). This is the first day that they can commence alignment of joint check-in and boarding arrangements. It will take a while for (whatever) full integration to take place. Delta-Northwest (a complete integration) took about 15 months and United-Continental is expected to take the same, though I hear BA and IB will still retain their brands (a la AF-KLM).

That said, I'm very surprised you couldn't get IB boarding passes issued at your originating city (SFO). The level of co-operation for BA-IB, even before the merger, was supposed to be the same as say UA-Lufthansa, who issue boarding passes for the entire itinerary (I check in with LH at Bangalore and get my LH and UA passes issued all the way through to Portland).

As Alanrow mentions, it could be the "code-share bug".

5. Re: BA to Iberia at Heathrow info

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 January 2012, 05:31