We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

United flight available on Qantas website?? - how come??

Australia
Level Contributor
795 posts
37 reviews
Save Topic
United flight available on Qantas website?? - how come??

Looking at booking return flight from IAD to SYD mid April return early May

I noticed Kayak had cheap fares using Qantas/AA so went to the Qantas website and noticed a couple of things.

1) Qantas offer both AA and United flights on the internal US legs - AA is codeshare I think because of the 4 digit flight number and United's are quoted as the regular 3 digit flight numbers.

Why is that?

I thought that because Qantas and United are in different alliances that only AA would be offered by Qantas internally in the US.

2) Also, although price differences don''t really bother me that much, Kayak was cheaper by about $90 than directly thru the Qantas website (I know Qantas will charge a cc use fee so that total goes up too, not sure about Kayak)

Kayak also offer a Qantas/United/AA combo as per Qantas website

My main question though is how come United flights are offered by Qantas on their website?

Newcastle, Australia
Level Contributor
2,502 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: United flight available on Qantas website?? - how come??

That would be so that people like me who really don't like Qantas are given another option ;)

South Pole
Level Contributor
15,381 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: United flight available on Qantas website?? - how come??

i guess AA dont have enough feeder flights into LAX from IAD to meet up with QF flights. dont see what difference it makes other than arriving at T7.

Detroit, MI
Destination Expert
for Detroit, Travel Gadgets and Gear
Level Contributor
6,603 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: United flight available on Qantas website?? - how come??

It is not unusual for airlines to code share with others outside of their alliance. The alliances do not prevent airlines from entering into mutually beneficial agreements. Foreign carriers are not allowed by law to operate domestic US flights so they need US based carriers to get customers where they want to go.

Nashville, TN
Level Contributor
5,692 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: United flight available on Qantas website?? - how come??

I did see the UA flights on the Qantas site. Apparently, Qantas has an Interline agreement with UA, so they should be valid connections. However, since Qantas does not partner with UA, using the UA/Qantas combination could affect the nunber of FF miles you accrue.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
83,068 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: United flight available on Qantas website?? - how come??

>>I know Qantas will charge a cc use fee<<

When I last looked, it was possible to avoid this fee by using bPay direct transfer of funds.

Australia
Level Contributor
795 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: United flight available on Qantas website?? - how come??

"Apparently, Qantas has an Interline agreement with UA...."

If the United / Qantas flight combo was booked, would both boarding passes be issued at the start of outbound and inbound trips?

When departing from the US would the bags be checked right through from one airline to the other without my intervention on the West coast? Going back to IAD I know they would have to go through security on the West coast.

Bangkok
Destination Expert
for Bangkok, Air Travel, Thailand
Level Contributor
15,455 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: United flight available on Qantas website?? - how come??

Hi,

"If the United / Qantas flight combo was booked, would both boarding passes be issued at the start of outbound and inbound trips? "

That would depend on the agreements that the two carriers had between them.. Commonly they're two three big ones; a) ticketing, b) baggage, and c) handling..

The ticketing side is does carrier A accept tickets issued by carrier B and what limitations are there.. this becomes a big issue when you are stuck somewhere and airline A wants to 'transfer' your ticket to another airline.. If they don't have this agreement in place, it can't be done..

The baggage side is simply the ability to check (print bag tags) for flights operated by the other carrier and to agree to accept and handle bags from that other airline..

The handling piece is deals with boarding passes and other passenger accommodations.. like lounge access and the like.

Traditionally, when a flight is cross-marketed or code-share sold, all three agreements are in place..

So. with that assumption in place, yes, a code-share sold UA/QF flight should permit the BP's to print* and bag tag issued to the final point at the origin of travel.

Note: There are some cases, such as travel to Brazil, China and even Australia, (since nearly all US nationals require visas) where due to the need for a visa check some airlines will programatically block/restrict the ability to get a BP issued until you're at the point of actual international departure where local staff can verify and insure you actually have the right visa or ETA to travel.

Travel Safe,

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
59,573 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: United flight available on Qantas website?? - how come??

Kayak does not sell airline tickets!!

They show you possible prices offered by different online 3rd party ticket sellers like Expedia or Orbitz or others + airline web sites.

3rd party sellers often put together flights on airlines that have no relationship.

You will be buying your tickets from one of these above web sites or the airlines but NOT from Kayak!!

Australia
Level Contributor
795 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: United flight available on Qantas website?? - how come??

Thanks for replies

I think for peace of mind and to minimise any potential problems that multiple airlines could cause, will pay a little bit more and book direct with United via SFO all the way - another plus is United's relatively cheap E+ for my very long legs.

South Pole
Level Contributor
15,381 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: United flight available on Qantas website?? - how come??

a good decision, vacation. E+ is a cheap way of getting an extra bit of room on long haul even tho 5" might not seem a lot it turns into 5' after 14 hours or so. i know it's a gamble but we always wait until checking in at the airport to take up the E+ option and have always got it at a reasonable discount. granted this was from sydney to our usa destination. on return doing it this way we missed out occasionally on the usa domestic leg but always got E+ on the international one.